Contour knob...does it really "V" the EQ

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

oilpit

Reaction score
I keep trying this amp out, and on the overdrive, even with the contour control dimed, I really don't hear a big loss in midrange.
Maybe a bass and treble boost, but I never heard any of my glorious midrange, I really like the way it sounds and I HATE mid scoopage...

Any owners want to chime in on this one?

Well I'm not an owner just yet but trying it out I kinda gotta agree. The mids still sound pretty present. It's more like a high/low boost than actually scooping the mids. PS, I hate scooped "tone" too. It just bugs me seeing the MkV and how many people just immediately put their GEQ's in a V right off the bat.

Compared to a "real" Graphic EQ (Mark III), I find the "Contour" to be mild, at best. Weak! :D

I does 'V' the eq. The more you twist the contour clockwise, the deeper the V. It doesn't have the power the sliders do on my FIVE though.

I'm fine with that though. I think the contour knob is fine as is. Although I think it would be sweet if from 7:30 to noon it acted as a mid boost and from then on scooped the mids. That would be AWESOME! At lower settings the mid boost would be HUGE and then dimed it could scoop like no one's business.

EtherealWidow said:
I'm fine with that though. I think the contour knob is fine as is. Although I think it would be sweet if from 7:30 to noon it acted as a mid boost and from then on scooped the mids. That would be AWESOME! At lower settings the mid boost would be HUGE and then dimed it could scoop like no one's business.

You my friend, should work for mesa...

oilpit said:
EtherealWidow said:

You my friend, should work for mesa...
Haha. Well there has got to be some reason that they didn't do that. Either A, the frequencies they cut with the contour don't sound as appealing when boosted or B, the contour knob would become WAY too sensitive. But hey, we can all dream right?

I don't like scooped mids either, but the contour control on the Subway Rocket was a lot more pronounced than the Express is. I liked the one on my Subway better, but I'm glad this one doesn't scoop too much.

I was playing around with a 5:50 at a friends house last week. I agree the Contour was fairly subtle comparied to a V'd GEQ on a DC or Mark. I was not playing loudly, so assumed it would be more effective as the volume increased.

That's probably not a bad thing. I find the huge scooped mids sound is overkill. .

EtherealWidow said:
Haha. Well there has got to be some reason that they didn't do that. Either A, the frequencies they cut with the contour don't sound as appealing when boosted or B, the contour knob would become WAY too sensitive. But hey, we can all dream right?

To be honest...I think Mesa just likes scooping midrange a lot....
When has any of their sweet spots had the mid control past 12 o clock?

oilpit said:
EtherealWidow said:

To be honest...I think Mesa just likes scooping midrange a lot....
When has any of their sweet spots had the mid control past 12 o clock?
Good point.

oilpit said:
I keep trying this amp out, and on the overdrive, even with the contour control dimed, I really don't hear a big loss in midrange.
Maybe a bass and treble boost, but I never heard any of my glorious midrange, I really like the way it sounds and I HATE mid scoopage...

Any owners want to chime in on this one?

Don't really care what it does. Sounds good so I like it for some applications :mrgreen:

MrMarkIII said:
Compared to a "real" Graphic EQ (Mark III), I find the "Contour" to be mild, at best. Weak! :D

I have both and it is not weak at all, but then again not two people have the same ears...Also the contour does change the negative feedback loop increasing the pressence. It does work like the dynamic voice on the triaxis a little. It seems that it gives me the same setting I tend to prefer on my graphic eq. Sure you can dime the 6,6 khz and play seek and destroy, the 80hz slider and sound boom boom in your room or completely cut the 750 hz for that hetfield vibe, but try that in a band thing and it is kinda silly...The contour is just fine as it is.

Theres way too much mid I find, I am using the mid nearly off for a sweeter sound. Mid kills the middle and bridge quack.

UKBoogieboy said:
Theres way too much mid I find, I am using the mid nearly off for a sweeter sound. Mid kills the middle and bridge quack.
The settings that I've been finding most appealing look really unprofessional. Dimed gain and treble, no mids or bass. But then I have the reverb at about 1 o'clock and contour at like 8 or 9.

EtherealWidow said:
Well I'm not an owner just yet but trying it out I kinda gotta agree. The mids still sound pretty present. It's more like a high/low boost than actually scooping the mids. PS, I hate scooped "tone" too. It just bugs me seeing the MkV and how many people just immediately put their GEQ's in a V right off the bat.

I agree. It's more of a high/low boost than a mid-scoop.

I like it a lot though. It's a very handy feature for adding some 'dimension' to your sound. It really livens up the amp.

chemical69 said:
EtherealWidow said:

I agree. It's more of a high/low boost than a mid-scoop.

I like it a lot though. It's a very handy feature for adding some 'dimension' to your sound. It really livens up the amp.
Definitely! I stayed away from it just because I don't even like the idea of scooping the mids, but I gotta say that when I dimed it for shits and giggles I loved the sound. Added a LOT of definition to the chords with the high gain. Just a crazy awesome amp.

Latest posts

Back