Continually impressed, even after a month.

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

theroan

Reaction score
I cannot stress enough how important it is to read the manual with this amp. Last night I decided to sit down with my Les Paul and go throught manual, voice by voice, channel by channel.

In that one sitting I was able to perfect my settings in FAT and I re-discovered EDGE. EDGE was so good that it's competition for CRUNCH for sure. Knowing that there is now 2 option in the second channel is sweet. I'm still not the biggest fan of Mark 1 but I didn't even get there last night. Who knows what will happen tonight.

Just thought I'd share, this amp is literally a dream come true for me.

Man, I love the Mark I mode (when it's properly dialed in)...I'm finding much love for Crunch and Edge too...don't know why people had so much hate for the second channel...it's bad-a$$ in it's own rite.

LP + Mark V = Massive tone

Played a LP through MV and was very very impressed. Played my EBMM JP and a Custom 24 through the same amp and cab and was not quite as impressed, but it was still smoking. Too bad I don't care for a LP's neck!

MusicManJP6 said:
LP + Mark V = Massive tone

Played a LP through MV and was very very impressed. Played my EBMM JP and a Custom 24 through the same amp and cab and was not quite as impressed, but it was still smoking. Too bad I don't care for a LP's neck!
Do you not like the shape or the gloss of the LP neck?

Nermel said:
Man, I love the Mark I mode (when it's properly dialed in)...I'm finding much love for Crunch and Edge too...don't know why people had so much hate for the second channel...it's bad-a$$ in it's own rite.

I agree channel is really solid on it's own. I think that a lot of people forget that each voice comes with different sweet spots in terms of the controls. EDGE and Crunch are the perfect example. EDGE means Bass up treble way down etc.

But I never would have known that without going through the manual.

theroan said:
Nermel said:

I agree channel is really solid on it's own. I think that a lot of people forget that each voice comes with different sweet spots in terms of the controls. EDGE and Crunch are the perfect example. EDGE means Bass up treble way down etc.

But I never would have known that without going through the manual.

I need to do the same! I've completely wrote off Edge since I didn't know how to dial it in properly, I just started messing with the IIC+ mode and am digging that mode the most now :D Funny how each week I am favoring a different mode :mrgreen:

Couldn't agree more with this thread. While I've had my share of "hair pulling" moments, I've finally been able to understand this amp about 50% and dial in some good tones with help from this forum and my ears. I'm so impressed with the fat clean that I do not even switch to regular clean or tweed which is quite sad since they're great tones too! In Channel II I'm very imressed with the "Crunch" mode but not so much with Mark I so far. I really haven't tried "Edge" enough to form an opinion. I use channel 3 on all modes and like all of them. I use the IIc+ mode for liquidy leads, Mark IV mode for rhythm, and the extreme mode for recto-ish sounds (thanks again theroan. BTW using those same settings on channel 2 crunch gives you a nice Rush limelightish tone IMO).

I use an EBMM JP6 and haven't tried any other guitar on the Mark V so far. I need to experiment with LPs for sure if they give such a massive tone from the Mark V. MusicmanJP6, like you I love the sound of the LP but could never get used to the neck especially after playing the unfinished bird's eye maple neck on the EBMM guitars!!!

This thread is so true. I always thought that I'd be able to hear the basic tone of an amp within the first couple of notes and then decide whether that was the fundamental tone I was looking for and so I wrote this amp off within like 2 minutes. I knew that I was missing something though. I had to go back home like 4 times to read the manual. Went back to the store and finally got my tone out of it so I wrote it down on a little piece of paper.

EtherealWidow said:
This thread is so true. I always thought that I'd be able to hear the basic tone of an amp within the first couple of notes and then decide whether that was the fundamental tone I was looking for and so I wrote this amp off within like 2 minutes. I knew that I was missing something though. I had to go back home like 4 times to read the manual. Went back to the store and finally got my tone out of it so I wrote it down on a little piece of paper.

Don't ever lose that piece of paper :) I remember the day I got the Mark V. After playing it for 3 minutes I was ready to throw a tantrum coz of the honky sounds I was getting. I gave my poor roommate an earful about how bad the Mark V was and that I was keeping my Roadster. Two weeks later all that changed. The Roadster found a new home (with forumite toneaddictjon), and the Mark V stayed. Taming the beast is a lot of fun :)

When are you planning on getting that custom finish MKV you have in your sig?

cheers,
Supreeth

I'm finding that if I do an initial setup of settings with the Les Paul then my strat and tele will still sound good, but if I do it the other way around it doesn't sound as good for the Les Paul.

Agreed. I'm just discovering Crunch with my std les paul and I threw it in variac power and wow. So much fun and so responsive. I agree, this amp kicks butt!

Supreeth said:
EtherealWidow said:

Don't ever lose that piece of paper :) I remember the day I got the Mark V. After playing it for 3 minutes I was ready to throw a tantrum coz of the honky sounds I was getting. I gave my poor roommate an earful about how bad the Mark V was and that I was keeping my Roadster. Two weeks later all that changed. The Roadster found a new home (with forumite toneaddictjon), and the Mark V stayed. Taming the beast is a lot of fun :)

When are you planning on getting that custom finish MKV you have in your sig?

cheers,
Supreeth
It's funny. That piece of paper stays in my wallet. I would really hate to lose it. Well I just recently found a job so hopefully I'll have it in a couple months which just kills me. I haven't had an amp since March on account of it getting stolen so this is going to be a nice change from months of acoustic black metal.

Nermel said:
A strat through the Mark I mode is awesome... I prefer it to my Mark I RI.

Well suprises just keep coming. So today I went through channel two again, including Mark 1. All I can say is wow and f@*% you Mesa for doing this to me. Every single voice in channel two, when dialed in correctly ,is totally amazing and usable. I can't decide which one I like more! What I've discovered is that you can break up channel two into 4 parts.

1) Edge: modern - mid/low gain
2) Crunch: Modern mid-gain
3) Mark 1 sans thick: Vintage mid/low gain
4) Mark 1 avec thick: Vintage mid-gain

When Mark 1 is dialed in right, switching on the thick is almost identical to switching from Edge to Crunch. I feel like at a gig I will helpless to choose, I'd just have to get the band to vote.

So I've decided to record what I've come across so far. What each voice can do when dialed in correctly.

If any of the mark 1 doubters are interested, here are the settings I've used to get some great tone.

This is in oclocks
Gain: 2
Master: 12 - 1
Presence: 12-1
Treble: 2
Mid: 10:30
Bass: 9

Graphic EQ: How to describe it.
80 - bottom half between the white lines
240 - half way between where you have your 80 dial and 0
750 - just above 0
2200 - just above where the 750 now is
6600 - top half between the white lines

Basically a diagonal line but the centre slider is above 0.

theroan said:
If any of the mark 1 doubters are interested, here are the settings I've used to get some great tone.

This is in oclocks

750 - just above 0

Those settings are VERY similar to what I dialed in on "lesterpaul's" amp a week ago, With NO help from the manual. His was a LP through a pair of EV thiele cabs. 8)

Page 2 of this thread : http://forum.grailtone.com/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=37701

EtherealWidow said:
It's funny. That piece of paper stays in my wallet. I would really hate to lose it. Well I just recently found a job so hopefully I'll have it in a couple months which just kills me. I haven't had an amp since March on account of it getting stolen so this is going to be a nice change from months of acoustic black metal.

I'm sorry to hear that your amp got stolen. May bad things happen to those responsible. Congratulations on the new job! I hope you get your new amp soon!!

cheers,
Supreeth

Supreeth said:
EtherealWidow said:

I'm sorry to hear that your amp got stolen. May bad things happen to those responsible. Congratulations on the new job! I hope you get your new amp soon!!

cheers,
Supreeth
Well thanks man. Yeah I think I might have to bump up the credit card limit just for this amp. It makes me nervous but I'm young. I'll bounce back! Right? Haha. Soon as I get it I'll make a vid for it.

JOEY B. said:
theroan said:

This is in oclocks

750 - just above 0

Those settings are VERY similar to what I dialed in on "lesterpaul's" amp a week ago, With NO help from the manual. His was a LP through a pair of EV thiele cabs. 8)

Page 2 of this thread : http://forum.grailtone.com/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=37701

The Mark I tone when dialed in right is heavy heavy heavy. I don't understand how people couldn't figure out how to dial it in like this. Bassy? Bring down the bass, turn up the treble. Better but still muffled? Push the presence, it'll increase the sensitivity of the treble and upper mids and bring down the bass. The presence is key because it brings the tone out from hiding, puts it right out in front. It'll still retain the heavy rhythm tone. In fact, it shakes my light fixtures when driving the halfback hard.

Did you find that using the Mark I mode like this shakes the hell out of the tubes and reverb tank? I hope that is only temporary or I'm going to have to find another solution.

Latest posts

Back