Considering the jump from Marshall to Mesa. . .

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
TheRazMeister said:
Naz.....don't listen to the naysayers. Worst is a relative term...When I tried the Dual Rec....it was overkill for me, plus I wanted a combo....so yes, it's worse for me than the ROV combo.
The biggest problem I see with these amps is that it seems like they come alive at louder volumes. My ROV was just plain overwhelming when I opened it up at a gig. At home, it's only really, really good :)
I'm fortunate that my Crate V32 is the other way around...great at low volumes and pretty good a gig levels. quote]

I rocked it at rehearsal last night. I was really surprised at how good the lead sounds and the cleans were because I had read so many things. The rhythm tone was why I bought the amp. That's where I was satisfied but not blown away. . .yet I know I will be blown away. I just have a little more experimentation to do. The rhythm sound was definitely tight enough but it was a little harsh. I'm thinking I have to fool around with all the options a little more. Maybe I should try the Variac toggle. Also, I was using channel 2 modern, maybe I should try vintage. Any suggestions for attaining a good metal rhythm chunk. I Mean that's what this amp does, right? And it was doing it at low volumes in my house. I just need to tweak for high volumes I guess.

If you feel the rhythm tones are a bit harsh using modern, then definitely try two things:
-tube rectifier - much more forgiving feel and sag
-spongy setting - even more forgiving feel and sag. Also, easier to get power tube saturation at lower relative volumes - I was told by my Mesa rep that using spongy on my Roadster actually reduces the wattage of the amp from 50 watts to about 36 watts...meaning, more power tube drive.
-vintage mode - in fact this is the mode I use for all my heavy rhythm and leads, I rarely use modern.

This will round it out but beware maybe not keep it as tight as you want...experiment.

Hope this helps
and
Congratulations on your new wicked-*** amp dude!!!!! :D :D

Dave

oyster said:
If you feel the rhythm tones are a bit harsh using modern, then definitely try two things:
-tube rectifier - much more forgiving feel and sag
-spongy setting - even more forgiving feel and sag. Also, easier to get power tube saturation at lower relative volumes - I was told by my Mesa rep that using spongy on my Roadster actually reduces the wattage of the amp from 50 watts to about 36 watts...meaning, more power tube drive.
-vintage mode - in fact this is the mode I use for all my heavy rhythm and leads, I rarely use modern.

This will round it out but beware maybe not keep it as tight as you want...experiment.

Hope this helps
and
Congratulations on your new wicked-*** amp dude!!!!! :D :D

Dave

Thanks for the tips. Remarkably I'm not as hung up on tightness as a lot of metal players. I grew up on Iommi and Priest and some of those low end chunks were big and fat, which I like. Although I appreciate Lamb of God too.

Anyway, my only little bit of buyers remorse that I'm experienceing is that I didn't give the Triaxis a shot. That product has always intrigued me and I always hear good tones from that thing. What do you think? How do they compare?

Back