Connecting a Halfback

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bpm91

Reaction score
I picked up a vertical halfback 2x12 w/ 2 c90s this weekend and finally made it home. However, the cab is wired to be 16ohm.... how would I go about connecting it to my Mark III combo?

Connect it to the 8 ohm speaker jack on your Mark III.

OR rewire the cabinet to be 4 ohms and connect it to the 4 ohm speaker jack.

AJ_Newkirk said:

Thanks for the reply... I went ahead and did this after doing some reading and was greeted with TONE. At first (for about 10mins), I had plugged the cab into the 4ohm and the combo into the 4 ohm and couldn't figure out why it sounded so weak. I unplugged everything and checked my reading and found my mistake.

For those that haven't seen it or need a reminder on cab hookup/wiring, check out this .pdf:

http://www.giannigori.com/public/speakers.pdf

AJ_Newkirk said:

I would guess I need soldering equipment for this? Where would I be able to purchase this and what brand would you recommend?

bpm91 said:
AJ_Newkirk said:

Thanks for the reply... I went ahead and did this after doing some reading and was greeted with TONE. At first (for about 10mins), I had plugged the cab into the 4ohm and the combo into the 4 ohm and couldn't figure out why it sounded so weak. I unplugged everything and checked my reading and found my mistake.

For those that haven't seen it or need a reminder on cab hookup/wiring, check out this .pdf:

http://www.giannigori.com/public/speakers.pdf

AJ_Newkirk said:

I would guess I need soldering equipment for this? Where would I be able to purchase this and what brand would you recommend?

Try example #7 in the speaker chart. With the combo speaker to the 4 ohm jack and the 16 ohm 2x12 to the 8 ohm jack. 8)

JOEY B. said:
Try example #7 in the speaker chart. With the combo speaker to the 4 ohm jack and the 16 ohm 2x12 to the 8 ohm jack. 8)

This is exactly what I did. Massive. Can't wait to get my Mark IV back from my friend's place to drive the cab.

psychodave said:
Nice.

I prefer the mismatch with boogie amps. They sound better to me 8)

Same here. I love the sound of a half-back 2x12 wired @ 16 ohms using the 8 ohm speaker jack on a Mark series amp. To my ears it takes out the harshness of the attack.

AJ_Newkirk said:
psychodave said:
Nice.

I prefer the mismatch with boogie amps. They sound better to me 8)

Same here. I love the sound of a half-back 2x12 wired @ 16 ohms using the 8 ohm speaker jack on a Mark series amp. To my ears it takes out the harshness of the attack.

Before the Halfback I was running the combo in the 4ohm and the Thiele in the other 4ohm.... I feel like that REALLY smoothed things out... The halfback seems to show the fizz a bit more.

The jury is still out on which setup gave the best tone.

Latest posts

Back