Connecting 2 cabs to Tremoverb

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

boogieslide

Reaction score
I am currently running my Tremoverb head into a Gflex 2x12 and normally go 16ohm out of the head to 16ohm Mono on the cab.
Been thinking about getting an Avatar 2x12 to go along with it. So my question is....what is the best way to connect everything. I believe the Avatar is 8ohm. The Gflex has a bunch of options and so does the Tremoverb. Is it best to use one output off the head and daisy chain the cabs somehow? Or just use like two of the 8ohm outs on the Tremoverb into 8ohm jacks on the cabs?

Thanks!

boogieslide said:
Or just use like two of the 8ohm outs on the Tremoverb into 8ohm jacks on the cabs?

Kind of.....
Plug the 16-ohm cab into an 8-ohm jack on the amp, and the 8-ohm cab into a 4. Slight mismatch but safe. You could put both cabs to the 4-ohm outs, amp will run cooler and sound a bit darker.

Actually, you need to run both cabs from the 4 ohm outs. Your total ohm load will be somewhere between 4 ohms and 8 ohms (I forgot the exact mathmatical formula for this...) So you will need to run the amp at 4 ohms. Running it at 8, or a combination of 8 ohm out and 4 ohm out is NOT good for the amp.

I agree that you should plug them both in to 4 ohm jacks. The reason is that your impedance will be 5.3 ohms.

However, giving them 100 watts will yield a very goofball result. The Gflex will be getting 33 watts and the Avatar wll get 66.

There is a good thing, though. If the Avatar is wired in Parallel, which I'm betting it is, each speaker will be getting 33 watts. And that, if you recall, is what the series wired (I assume) speakers in the Gflex are getting.

End result: four speakers getting 33 watts each.

That being said, I do not recomend this.

What other options does your Gflex have?

by the way:

That formula is: Z=1/( 1/Z1 + 1/Z2 )

The symbol Z represents Impedance. Some call this resistance or ohms but that's wrong. Risistance is a DC thing and ohms are a unit of measurement (Sorta'). Granted, Resistance and Impedance are very similar.

Anyway, in your case:

5.3=1/( 1/16 + 1/8 )

Hope this helps

Yours,

SFW said:
....or a combination of 8 ohm out and 4 ohm out is NOT good for the amp.

Agreed it's not the perfect setup, but...

According to the Dual/Triple owner's manual (page 31, example 7), a 16ohm cab into the 8 and an 8ohm cab into the 4 is a safe mismatch. There is an entire section near the end of all Mesa's current manuals explaining speaker wiring and cabinet connection options. If you didnt get one with your amp, you can d/l it from Mesa's website.

Admittedly I am NOT an amp-tech or electronics expert, but I wouldn't advise you to try something if I thought it could possibly hurt your amp.

I read the section on impedance matching. I does say that Mismatches are safe. I believe this is an even better reason to plug both cabs into the 4 ohm jacks. As I said before, I think it's best to maximize your wattage per speaker. As far as cooler running tubes sounding darker, I guess I've never witnessed this.

My advice stands. The formula is sound. Though I don't subscribe to the idea of trashing out power tubes and plugging in loads other than what is perscribed by the manufacturer, I guess in this case you will cause no harm. NoGlassNoClass is right about this and you may find that his suggestion works better for you. Allways trust your ears.

Good luck

I guess I am still confused.
Why does the Tremoverb have multiple taps of the same impedance.
W/out being able to look at it I think it has (1) 16ohm, (2) 8ohm, and (2) 4ohm.

My Gflex has at least an 8ohm and 16ohm option. So why not one 8ohm Boogie output to the 8 ohm Gflex and the other 8ohm Boogie output to the 8ohm Avatar?
I do have the manual and consult it.

Thanks for trying to assist guys!

Latest posts

Back