Compressor suggestions for Boogies

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
jukesgtr said:
keithus77 said:
Hi guys,

Just after some suggestions for a good compressor for my MkIII. I had a Boss CS-3 a few years back, and I was really dissapointed with it. I think it was the worst Boss product I've ever owned, so I'd be reluctant to get another one of those!

I've seen Kirk Hammett play on a few videos showing how to play Metiallica riffs etc and he has a really tight, compressed sound. I know he plays a MkIV and probably has a mountain of rack gear supporting his sound, but was wondering if there is a good product or two out there that would add a bit of tightness to my overall high gain sound.

Keithus, just for my curiosity, what was wrong with the CS-3?

If you are referring to that GW thing a few months back look again. He is plugged into a JCM800 split channel direct. I own that amp and it makes exactly that sound without anything else. Mine is a 1988 JCM800 2210. The pre '87 modesl sounded like crap. They were discontinued when the 900s came out. The 4100 and 4500 were supposed to replace the 2210 and 2205 but I never was satistifed with the 900. I think that they took that sound out of the amp. I know this is a Boogie forum but we all have to have a little variety and that was the amp I was playing before the MarkIV. I haven't plugged it in since. Nor have I spent much time in the 2204 either since getting the MarkIV. In fact, the only amp I have been playing at all has been the MarkIV. I think I might sell my Ampeg now. It was sitting not really being played before, now it is just gathering dust. It is a shame too because it is a nice amp. It sounds more Marshally with the EL-34s in it but has a cascading gain channel that gets pretty brutal. Like the 900 it goes to 10 then it goes to 20. Sorry this went on a tangent and off topic.

For the topic, I haven't used a compressor in ages. I kind of thought they sucked. I like a little more dynamics in my playing. I like to hear varied attack and nuances. They tend to sound better through a tube amp than a compressor. I usually use hotter pickups so I get the sustain I need anyway. If I want more, I just turn up the gain.

Back