Completing my Rig. Need some help.

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BTC-Ax20

Reaction score
Well, I'm done with purchasing portion of the rack building. Here are the basics so far.

3Ch. Dual Rectifier
RJM Amp Gizmo
4-Space Rack with the following:
Monster Power PRO900
T.C. Electronic G-Major
Rocktron Midimate Foot Controller
Rocktron HEX Expression/Volume Pedal

I'm new to MIDI programming so I haven't gotten that far into it. But I've been having a little of trouble with the Rocktron HEX. Does anyone use one of these as an expression pedal? I went to Guitar Center yesterday to get all of the necessary cables required to complete to rig, and the Rocktron manual said to use a 1/4" stereo RTS cable for the expression jack. I got what I thought was correct, but the package is labled, "Balanced Trs 1/4" to TRS 1/4". Is that correct? I don't know if there is difference between RTS and TRS, but the guys at Guitar Center didn't have any answers. When I plug it into the Midimate, I get nothing. I did scroll through a few of the set-up parameters, but the manual was over my head. I also tried plugging directly into the G-Major's ext. control jack to see if that would work. I checked through a couple of the MOD menus for the pedal settings, but I still couldn't get it work. I opened up the pedal to if it needed a battery or something but there doesn't seem to be a battery port. Right now I have the amp gizmo providing phantom power to the Midimate, so I was thinking maybe there is a power issue. When I plug it in line with the guitar, it does function as a volume pedal, but I noticed that the volume doesn't quite go down to 0. I'm sending an email off to Rocktron, but I'm just posting here to see if anyone has any ideas.

Thanks,

Yeah a few things

Is the midi mate switching programs on the G-Major?

I don’t own a G-Major so I might say something that is a little of to you, so just keep this in mind but midi really works the same way for all gear, minor differences

Although the G-Major can receive and respond to all 16 midi channels at once (Omni) don’t do this for now pick channel, check the manual to see if the midi channels go 1-16 OR 0-15 and pick one, it can be anything use “1” for now.
Go to the G-Major directions make sure it is setup to respond to midi program changes, while you are there also lookup selecting something to target with real time controller, pick something that will hit you in the face like direct signal or overall effect level. Keep in mind you have to tell the G-Major the low and high threshold of what you are targeting. For now select the extremes basically off to full out, as far as controller # pick something like #8 for now.

Next
The midi mate which I believe goes channels 1-16 again directions tell it to send on 1 only. Is the G-Major responding to program changes? If not the problem is probably in your setup but could be something else. Some equipment goes 1-16 OR sometimes 0-15, its still 16 channels that’s why you always need to consult the manual with this stuff. But if 1 piece of gear was 0-15 then everything becomes 1 off.
Example: say the G-Major is 1-16 and say the Midi Mate is 0-15, we decided to use channel 1 on the G-Major so the Midi Mate we would set that for channel 0. If we wanted channel 6 on the G-Major then 5 on the Midi Mate. The 0-15 is mostly on older gear so I would not worry but figure it does not hurt to point that out. And it stops there so even if a piece of gear is using the 0-15 scheme you don’t have to compensate for instance controller 8 is controller 8 its not 8 on this piece of gear and 7 on this one.

Somewhere in the Midi Mate directions you will come across a section to tell the Hex pedal what control # you want it to send on and when you do for our example don’t forget set it to 8 but it can be pretty much anything long as both pieces of gear know that.

As far as the TRS RTS thing I think that is just a mistake.

If you have a feeling that the Midi Mate/ Hex pedal are not working and you have a computer with recording software hook everything up select a midi track hit record and rock the pedal you should see midi information.
Good luck, once you get it will click just work one thing at a time

Well, I think I've got the general idea. I was able to get to work on a few patches. Although I've noticed some quirky things about my particular pedal. I tried it on a Whammy patch, basically 1 octave up. Typically the CC range should be from 0-127. When I calibrate the HEX pedal it will only go from 3-126, which actually makes the pitch sharp at the bottom and flat at the top. It's enough notice. It's kinda weird. I tried calibrating it several times, even stopping it short of the full range each way. Still has the same issue. I think that it might be problem with the potentiameter. I've opened it up and everything is new and clean though. Looks like I'll send another email off to Rocktron. :?

Update. I've been in contact with Rocktron about the HEX pedal. They believe it is a problem with a bad pot. The rep said that he would send out a replacement right away.

Can't beat that for customer service. :D

Rocktron Rocks, Spread the word

Glad to here it’s all working out and welcome to the wonderful world of midi! I have had some real trippy rigs with midi in the past. If you ever find yourself getting into big racks (talking like a midi preamp and a couple of processor’s) might I recommend upgrading from the Midi Mate to the All Access (Rocktron also) although there are outers out there like it the All Access is **it.

Back