Comparison/thoughts please...

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Humbility

Reaction score
I heard a little rumour that Marshall just had a price decrease. I confirmed this with my local music store. In canadian bux the 1960A OR B 4x12 cab with the G12-T75's is $769. THe one with V30's is around $1000 bux. I'd like to know if the V30's are worth the price difference or any input on the difference between the 2. PLease and thank you.
Hum

The G12-75Ts in the 1960 cabinets produce (in my opinion), just slightly more treble than Vintage 30s. And while on the subject, the Mesa Traditional 4x12, slant or straight, with Vintage 30s, has a little more bottom end and oomph than the Marshall 1960 cabinets. The Mesa is just slightly larger, which drops the cabinet resonant frequency a little bit.

I have read that the V30s break up earlier than the G12-75Ts, but I have never noticed this. I play mostly at home, and not very loudly.

Whether you like one speaker-cabinet combination over another depends entirely on the rest of your rig and the music style and tone that you like. The brightness of your guitar pickups, the length of your guitar cord, the number of effects, and your amp head and settings will all influence the tone. Best thing to do is take as much stuff to the guitar store as possible, at least your guitar and maybe even your head and effects, and plug in and give several cabinets a try.

Happy hunting.

I definitely prefer the V30's over the G12-75T's. I've A/B'd between two Marshall cabs a while back. One with V30's and the other with the 75T's. I thought the 75T's were too harsh sounding. I thought the V30's had a thicker, more balanced tone to them. This was especially noticable playing any clean or blues settings.

If you decide to go with a cab with V30's, I would suggest the Mesa cab over the Marshall. I've owned both and I thought the construction and tone was slightly better with the Mesa cab over the Marshall. I even had a speaker start coming loose from the baffle board with the Marshall. I think the Mesa cabs now come with a slip cover as well which is a nice little bonus.

you know what guys? I think I am just going to suck it up and get the Mesa 4x12 Recto cab....and be done with it. I KNOW its a fabulous speaker cabinet...and Sure its a bit of money...but I'd be getting what I want. I bought a Mesa because I trust the tone in the head. Might as well sit it on top of the cabinet that its supposed to sit on. Thanks again for all of the input guys. I'm recording this weekend with my Single recto and a Marshall 1936 cab with actually the G12-T75's in it. After I posted I opened up the cab to find THATS what it had in it. So when its done I will let you all have a listen.
Thanks again for all the input.

Hum

Latest posts

Back