Combining Mesa Dual Rec with Bogner or Marshall

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Guitarzan

Reaction score
I slave out from my 2 Ch Dual Rec to the return channel of a Marshall JCM 2K DSL. This takes the Marshall pre amp out of the loop and allows the pre of the DR to hit the power section of the Marshall. The JCM goes to a Genz Benz 2X12 G-Flex and the Mesa goes to a Genz Benz 4X12 G-Flex. Great tone! Check it out.

this happens a lot. there are many different thought processes, but i think you find the recto/marshall combo almost everywhere. Guitarzans little trick sounds pretty cool. never thought to do that. i always split my signal and ran to heads 1 with a liquid gain and 1 with raw gain. but i would have only the control in my guitar vol. where Guitarzan can chanel switch. BUT I have a tone that makes king kong look like a spider monkey. :twisted:

rabies said:
In your setup, Guitarzan, do you hear sound from both speaker cabs in that situation? I'm thinking only from the 4x12 as the Marshall preamp is out of the loop. I will try your setup with my 2205 Marshall (need another speaker cab for silent load).

I know that according to www.guitargeek.com, Page Hamilton back in the early 1990's was running a 50 watt Marshall JCM 800 (preamp cranked all the way) into a Mesa Simul 2:90. He used a silent speaker device as load for the Marshall head. That was some animal tone!

Yes! each head has an independant cab. However with the GB's, I can run both heads to only one cab if I wanted as well.

BENNY said:
this happens a lot. there are many different thought processes, but i think you find the recto/marshall combo almost everywhere. Guitarzans little trick sounds pretty cool. never thought to do that. i always split my signal and ran to heads 1 with a liquid gain and 1 with raw gain. but i would have only the control in my guitar vol. where Guitarzan can chanel switch. BUT I have a tone that makes king kong look like a spider monkey. :twisted:

The tone i'm getting is insane! I run 1 rack effect (DSP256XL) through the loop assigned only to the clean channel and channel switch with the footswitch. It's easy and sounds thunderous! Just don't go above 9 o'clock on the slave level or you'll get a rumbling feedback.

I have ran both my XTC and my recto together and it sounds great, but running two amps together always sounds great. It is because your ears naturaly hear in stereo.

I know Mark Tremonti was combining a dual with a bogner uber, he said the rect was for low end and the uber was for the high end.

Honestly if you are a single player nothing wrong with combining, but if you are in a two guitar player band then let one of you use a dual, and one use a marshall and you will be great.

siggy14 said:
I have ran both my XTC and my recto together and it sounds great, but running two amps together always sounds great. It is because your ears naturaly hear in stereo.

I know Mark Tremonti was combining a dual with a bogner uber, he said the rect was for low end and the uber was for the high end.

Honestly if you are a single player nothing wrong with combining, but if you are in a two guitar player band then let one of you use a dual, and one use a marshall and you will be great.

I think the uber was for the low end if I remember.

Yeah I guess you are right.

http://www.mark-tremonti.com/equipment.html

Weird thing is I have had both the mesa and bogner right next to each other and found the mesa has lower bottem end, but then again the bogner had a tighter bottem end, so maybe that is why he uses it.

parsky1 said:
siggy14 said:

I think the uber was for the low end if I remember.

How does each head have its own independent cabinet? I thought you would just use the speaker output on the JCM800.

Anyways, this sounds like a very good idea.

waylay00 said:
How does each head have its own independent cabinet? I thought you would just use the speaker output on the JCM800.

Anyways, this sounds like a very good idea.

Yes.. I use the speaker out put to one cab from the Marshall and the Mesa DR head's speaker out to another cab. The mix is killer!

Would love to be able to combine amps like this but I can never afford more than one amp at a time lol.

Yes use instrument cable for the setup. Turn the slave out knob all the way off (counterclockwise). Once you have sound from the Mesa, SLOWLY turn the slave knob up until you have your desired mix. You won't have to go far 8-9 o'clock is where I'm usually at. The sound that you have is the Mesa straight to one cab... What you have coming from the Marshall is a bad *** old school "Anthrax" kinda chunk. Depending on your power tubes that you have in the Marshall, I'm assuming you have EL-34's, you how have a broad spectrum Mesa tone that is unstoppable.

GEETARZZZZAN. you got me stoked on that. the GC by my house has a used plexi that has been sitting there for 6 mo. you got me jones'n' to snag that *****.

:twisted:

Guitarzan said:
Yes use instrument cable for the setup. Turn the slave out knob all the way off (counterclockwise). Once you have sound from the Mesa, SLOWLY turn the slave knob up until you have your desired mix. You won't have to go far 8-9 o'clock is where I'm usually at. The sound that you have is the Mesa straight to one cab... What you have coming from the Marshall is a bad *** old school "Anthrax" kinda chunk. Depending on your power tubes that you have in the Marshall, I'm assuming you have EL-34's, you how have a broad spectrum Mesa tone that is unstoppable.

I think this will be my next project/major purchase. I have wanted to do this for years using a combo though. Which I go with will depend on what's around at that time that might fit the bill.

you should be able to scam a DSL50 on ebay for 7 to 8hundy. or hook with a single recto and replace the tubes with el34s. you should snag one of those for 850. thats what i would go with cause boogies seem to hold there value better.

...if you want me to tempt you more you can get a credit card with 0% int on all balance transfers for life. theres more but.... i don't want to waste you time if not interested. :twisted:

rabies said:
Guitarzan, have you tried the reverse setup (use Mesa as slave)?

I called Genz Benz today and they said once you plug in two cables into the 8 ohm inputs on the back of the 2x12 gflex, there's a switch that changes the right one from 4 ohm to 8 ohm.

So if you want to run two heads simultaneously (or master/slave), you just set the impedance on both heads to 8 ohm. Each head will come out of one speaker (2 speakers if it's a 4x12).

No I haven't done the reverse... Reason being is I discover how to do this because I really dislike the "B" channel on my JCM 2K DSL. The "A" is awesome, the cleans rock as well as the crunch on that channel. So when I want the outright take your head off distortion I use the Mesa's preamp to do the dirty work.

I've never had an amp with a slave output. When you hook another amp to the slave output, is the power amp of the Mesa completely bypassed? Or does the preamp of the Mesa go to both the power amp of the Mesa itself and the Marshall?

Latest posts

Back