Coliseum Collectibility/Value

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MarkofXlnts

Reaction score
I am in the market for another Boogie and have been considering a Coliseum amp. Does anyone know what a nice example (Mark IIB or III, can't afford the IIC models) is worth? I heard that these amps had very low overall production numbers, is it something worth investing in? I would appreciate any opinions on the subject. Thanks.

I honestly have no information of any value to you on this subject. But, I'm bored, and figured I'd ask.

Why a Coliseum??

easy boys...too much power???research time- lets check out the ol' search function-say it after me...L-I-M-I-T control-...oh yeah, and H-A-L-F power...!I currently do not play arenas..the scary thing is, I have a pregnant wife and a two year old and they never complain while I am up in the "studio"(bedroom)-my ol' Coli CAN kill small animals, but only when absolutely necessary!!..very versatile,indeed

I have seen a couple for around 1K last year, I think there is one on e-bay at this moment a IIB in blonde.

I have a IIC and is very controlable, no problem to play at any level of place. I'm not sure they will become collectible since they appear at the moment to not to be very sought after.

LPClassic said:
I'm not sure they will become collectible since they appear at the moment to not to be very sought after.

With the small amount of the Boogie population that have actually played one, and the talk of "unmiked arenas only", is it any wonder that people are scared of them. 180 watts is NOT three times as loud as 60 watts by my ears. Just more depth to the sound. 8)

I don't need another amp, so if I purchase another I will do so for my own gratification. I like the fact that Coliseum amps are more scarce than some of the others, and they are unique among Boogie amps in my opinion. I don't need another 100 watt amp (or 180!). At this point it is not about need, it's about the hobby and collecting things that interest me. My Mark I and DC-2 cover 90 percent of my needs, and I am still waiting on the Mark IV, so need no longer applies.

I would also love to replace the Mark III Red Stripe head that I had to sell a couple of years ago, so that is on my list of potential purchases as well.

thunderkyss said:
I honestly have no information of any value to you on this subject. But, I'm bored, and figured I'd ask.

Why a Coliseum??
Like what BoogieBabies said, its purpose to knock birds off the sky. :lol:

Hey George,

I think I understated with the Hens Tooth. I've been trolling around here for a year and a half and just saw my first Series 300 IIC. My count is:

5- IIB
1- IIC
4- IIC+, only 1 Simul
3- MK III

If there were 1499 IIC's and 1900 C+'s (Not 2500), 86 would represent
only 2.5% of total production. Were talking 25 per thousand total and made in a very short period. You have a 97.5% chance of not getting one.
For the MK III, your 95.5% likely not to find one. I tend to abstain from the word rare, but with these I cannot.

well, I got extremely lucky on my find-thanks to Joey B.'s heads up, I went to work on an ebay auction that looked a little flaky/thin-it turned out it was at a store in BHam(1.5 hours away)...I told the guy(owner of store) that I wanted to drive down that afternoon and check it out..give it the loop test(kept that to myself...!) and if it wasnt the real deal c+...I was still interested-took cash, headed down..a few hours later, it was chesire cat time...JB came by and we pulled out the chassis and investigated-even put her on full power/0 limit and "tested" a few EV's-wasn't looking for one at all that morning,owner that night
-isnt that how it goes??

Hi gts, I know my IIC coliseum is a rare one, but I was talking about MarkofXlnts question regarding the IIB and III's, since those were the ones that I have been seeing, one at a GC and some others, but you are rigth they all are not very common, it feels nice to have one.

Thanks.

Hi JOEY B. I agree with that, people think they need to play all the way up or something... I don't know, but definetly I love my 180 watts amp and never have any problem at home or at the club and it get me great tones... now retubing...hehe

A few months ago I got an E-mail to review a members IIC+. I opened the attachment and about fell off my chair. It was a 300 Series Simul-Class, EQ, Reverb in a hardwood shell. It even had the "Pull Deep" face plate. I was like Homer thinking about a donut. MMMMM, Coliseum, WHOOOO !!!!

Boogiebabies said:
A few months ago I got an E-mail to review a members IIC+. I opened the attachment and about fell off my chair. It was a 300 Series Simul-Class, EQ, Reverb in a hardwood shell. It even had the "Pull Deep" face plate. I was like Homer thinking about a donut. MMMMM, Coliseum, WHOOOO !!!!

I still kick myself for selling my MKIII Coloseum no stripe. It was a long head that was sitting next to a MKIIC+ at Valley Arts so many years ago. I bought it because I was in a thrash metal band at the time and had a loud drummer that needed restraining. The Coloseum did it..... 8)

thunderkyss said:

Why a Coliseum??

MarkofXlnts said:
I don't need another amp, so if I purchase another I will do so for my own gratification. I like the fact that Coliseum amps are more scarce than some of the others, and they are unique among Boogie amps in my opinion. I don't need another 100 watt amp (or 180!). At this point it is not about need, it's about the hobby and collecting things that interest me. My Mark I and DC-2 cover 90 percent of my needs, and I am still waiting on the Mark IV, so need no longer applies.

I would also love to replace the Mark III Red Stripe head that I had to sell a couple of years ago, so that is on my list of potential purchases as well.

Thanks for replying. My reason for asking, was simply to advise you to not make your decision based on resale value. If you like the amp, be it for tone, playability, nostalgic reasons, what ever..... just buy it.

Now, according to your answer, you seem to know what you're doing, so I won't make any suggestions, other than \m/ rock on \m/

100w or 180w??

Both!! they are 2 different heads in sound.. Harmonics vs headroom
but i can play with ma c+ Coli into a club with a good sound, and on stage with 2000 people in front of me and you'll get a great wall of sound. It's a great experience to drive up the volume.. you feel clomb!! :p :p

wow, i feel really lucky to own a col. mark III. i knew they were rare but only less than 100? i've never had a problem with the volume. the half power sure does come in handy for small clubs and at home though.

Latest posts

Back