CLEANING UP MY SOUND

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
triple rectumfrier said:
oversized cab...thats weird, I have an oversized cab and it sounds amazing. I am more than happy with my sound. does your guitar have active pickups? namely, EMG's? I cant remember if you said it does or not. I am running mine with an ESP KH2 with EMG 81's, front end slammed with Maxon OD808, BBe sonic maximizer 882i in the loop.

Channel master (red) in between 8 and 9 oclock and the output master at about 2 oclock. Have it set to vacuum tubes (sounds way better than silicon diodes IMO) I ran silicone for the last 4 years...retubed and decided to try out the rectifiers after hearing the silicones and not being entirely happy. Sounds absolutely amazing. Back off the bass a bit, I am running mine at 11 oclock sometimes lower, I control the bass with the BBe.

AND DO NOT mess with your settings while wearing earplugs!!! Worst mistake I have EVER made, your sound becomes very trebly when you take your plugs out. Sounds absolutely hideous. Make all changes at band volume with out plugs in.

also....no active pickups in my guitar...Dragon II's.

I have tons of clips of a Dual Rec + EL34's.. search for my name in the rigs/tones forum.

First of all, get some active pups, that will make your tone 10 times better. I play mostly metal/hardcore. Unearth mixed with into the moat/the faceless, with inspiration from Between the Buried and Me and august burns red.

If you have any questions ask away. I can give you my settings but my equipment is at my drummers place. Plus I am not just running the rectifier. Not sure if Triples and Duals sound entirely different...I have never played a dual.

I am pretty sure you will need the Rectifier tubes seeing as the Vacuum tube setting is running through them :lol:

triple rectumfrier said:
First of all, get some active pups, that will make your tone 10 times better.
Umm, that statement is rather subjective! Note the title of the thread: Cleaning up my sound! I don't think active pickups are known for "cleaning up your sound"? :roll:

jbird said:
triple rectumfrier said:
First of all, get some active pups, that will make your tone 10 times better.
Umm, that statement is rather subjective! Note the title of the thread: Cleaning up my sound! I don't think active pickups are known for "cleaning up your sound"? :roll:

:oops: You are right, but I am expecting he wants to clean up his sound...aka make it sound better. I found that passive pickups make the amp sound harsh...All I know is that I am running active pups through my triple and it sounds absolutely AMAZING. :wink:

Ok,seriously.. You need to go and try a Mark IV! ....
You have tried different speakers, different tubes, pedals..etc. and its still not what your digging. Realistically your spending $$ on trying make an amp you dont like sound good when you may plug into a Mark and fall in love right away. I own both a Recto and a Mark and for the sounds that you are trying to get, the Recto with that cab "should" do it. If it still "sounds like ***" { :lol: } after everything you've done thus far then I would consider trying to track down a Mark to try out. I just think you may be better off rather than pulling your hair out trying to make the amp sound like something it just might not be capable of with the combo of things you have. Now, if your still having the exact same problems and the only thing you change is the head, then you can look elsewhere. :wink: You sound like you have a pretty good ear so I think you'll know if you dig the Mark pretty quickly. Remember, just cause you read and hear that your amp is supposed to sound like this or that, it just might not be what YOUR into. :wink: Try a MarkIV and then post your impressions. I am curious as to what you thought.

Last night I connected my new MXR 10-band EQ to the FX loop. OMG, this thing did the trick for me. I play Death Metal so those of you that do I recomend this. I also use EMG humbuckers. Not implying that anyone elses recomendations dont work. I'm up against a triple rec that had a Voodoo mod done. I have a Dual and it sounded much much fuller in my opinion. :D

I put a pillow in the bottom of the cab and it seemed to lose some of that "farty" quality finally. We played my rig through my friend's traditional cab and there was a HUGE difference instantly. I think I may just sell my cab and get a traditional for starters.

I was thinking of getting me a traditional, but the oversized in my opinion gives it that deep throaty chugginess i long for. No farty sound over here! Might be your cables also. You rig is only as good as its weakest cable. I finally changed all my cables to Monster Studio Pro's and it actually sounds a lot better. Alot fuller. But my first thought would be to find someone with active pickups and try that in front of your rig. I bet youll hear a HUGE difference.

Latest posts

Back