clean/treble boost or OD in front of a triaxis

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RJ2213

Reaction score
i'm this has been asked before but i cant seem to find any threads on it, so here it goes. i love my tone, but at times i'd like to be able to back off on the gain to clean up my distorted tones without killing my ability to get awsome harmonics. i hear alot of people using a clean boost or treble boost in front of amps to help achieve this, but how well does it work with the triaxis?

i play metal, mostly on a Caparison Horus with stock pickups or an Ibanez RG7620 7string, then into my triaxis into a 2:90 with a GenzBenz G-Flex 2x12. i mainly use LD2 red for that over the top head crushing distortion and have started experimenting with the other LD yellow and red. i am going for tones in the vein of Sonata Arctica, Nightwish, Dragonland, Dragonforce(without the stupid effects), Elvenking, Death, Nocturnal Rites, and Firewind.

I haven't tried one (still trying to get the rest of my crap figured out), but I'm sure with the right pedal you could get some cool results. I would just be worried about the pushing the internal volume too high, but you could mess with that and find the sweet spot. Noise might also be an issue.

RobertH said:
I haven't tried one (still trying to get the rest of my crap figured out), but I'm sure with the right pedal you could get some cool results. I would just be worried about the pushing the internal volume too high, but you could mess with that and find the sweet spot. Noise might also be an issue.

thanks for the response, but it sounds like youre questioning the same thing i am.

anyone know if this is true? i'm not sure how much like an amp head input the triaxis' is or if there is other circuitry in the Triaxis input section that could be damaged that a head wouldnt have a concern about?

First of all the only thing you should worry about damaging is your tone and that's by adding the wrong pedal. The triaxis is a guitar preamp just like every other amp has so don't be afraid to experiment.

I use an O/D with my TA all of the time and it sounds better for midgain stuff (O/D on clean channel) or for giving me a different flavor on the drive channels.

I don't like shopping for individual pedals since they all have their downfalls so I decided to get an all in one unit. I bought the Digitech GSP1101 and use it for wah, OD, delay, verb, and other effects when messing around at home. The coolest feature is the ability to use things i would have 0 desire to want to buy; like a fuzz. I find it fun messing with the stuff at home but unfortunately it has no place for what i play live.

I was afraid of tone suckage since i plug directly into the GSP and then have the TA in the GSP's preamp loop but i was pleasantly surprised that everything sounds great. It also keeps everything in the rack without adding long cable runs.

Greg

*edit* the GSP added so much noise to the input of the TA and Quad preamps that I had to stop using it in the 4CM. It works great by itself or as a normal effects processor placed after the TA but it really stinks using it in the 4CM with the TA. It works better with my Mark IV for some reason but it does add a small amount of noise to that.

check this out i just posted this today on you tube today....hope it helps.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gYjyx6xuKXY

Latest posts

Back