Chinese vrs. English Celestians????

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

brianf

Reaction score
We can only hope that the quality checks and materials used in China and England are the same.

Here is an interesting story. My Recto 2 x 12 closed back never sounded great. My thoughts were either my Dual Rect. Amp lacked headroom??? (That could not be) or the speakers were not great.

On the yellow channel no matter how little gain I used (trying to clone the green channel) it aways had a lot of hair to it.

As time went on there was less headroom and less headroom. WTF. Well my thoughts were it may actually be a cabinet buzz. Pulled the back off and all was tight. Pulled the front grill off and whoa.

The little center cap in one speaker was glued on off centre and the bottom part was not glued at all. It was just floating about 1/16 inch from the cone.

The Vintage 30 in question had an Ipswich sticker on the magnet and an Ipswitch white stamp on the frame. I guess this one may have been built in England.

So this bad speaker not only slipped through Celestion's QC but Mesa missed it too. My dealer just gave me a whole new cab. did not even have to wait for a new speaker.

Now my yellow channel can get to the point where it will almost clone the green channel.

Check out the photo!!!

http://www.lilypix.com/photos/data/14bfa6bb14875e45bba028a21ed38046/482_p50017.jpg

brianf

I dont think the dust cover would have caused all that trouble. It may have just been a bad sounding cabinet. There are definately good wood days and bad wood days from any manufacturer. IMHO, I think Bogner and Soldano have the tightest QC.

screamingdaisy said:
All Celestion Vintage 30s shipped to Mesa are still made in England.

Mesa thus far has refused Chinese made Celestions.

And you are correct. They will continue to refuse Chinese Celestions.
There would be companies chomping at the bit to get a little of that action.
Eminince or EV out of retirement? Eminence made the 150 watter for Mesa with the goofy night on a horse. Great speaker !!!!

Boogiebabies said:
I dont think the dust cover would have caused all that trouble. It may have just been a bad sounding cabinet. .

On no. it was the speaker. My dealer put a little silicon caulking under it and the buzz was gone.

brianf

Latest posts

Back