Chinese 6L6's

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

G.I.G.

Reaction score
I wanted to know who of you out there are using the Chinese STR-440 6L6's. I'm thinking of retubing my DR and noticed on Mesa's website that they ship the Chinese 6L6's stock in their amps now rather than the Sovtek's that I have in my DR. Are there any noticible differences? Advantages or disadvantages?

Also, I've read that you shouldn't replace preamp tubes unless they start to go bad, but I've also heard that you should replace them regardless every 2-3 years. Any thoughts? I want to completely retube my DR (except for the rectifier tubes) and was looking for some advice.

Thanks.

What's the advantage of JJ's? I'm thinking of ordering the JJ 6L6GC's from tubedepot.com. Has anyone ordered tubes from them?

Have any of you used the JJ ECC83S's?

I did get some of the 440's when they sent me replacements for a blown power tube in my LSC. They feel a little heavier and it looks like the glass is thicker. As far as tone goes, I don't notice that much of a difference, but it just might be my ears. They do seem to have a little more depth.

If you are going to do JJ's I'd talk with the guy at Eurotubes. I used some JJ's in a Marshall I had a while back and he was great to work with.

Has anyone tried the Ruby 6L6GCMSTR's? THey have great reviews.

I found this website over the weekend. You might find it a good read or future reference.

http://www.watfordvalves.com/reports.asp

I have tried the TAD 6L6GCW in my LSC and they had a much richer tone than either the 430s or 440s from Mesa.

Keep your warranty in mind when you decide not to use Mesa tubes.

Yeah, I think I'm going to try out the JJ's.

I know the guy at Eurotubes is a big advocate of putting a trim pot in Mesa's but that's not a road I want to go down (at least not yet). The people at Tube Depot have been helpful so I think I'm going to order the JJ's through them. Has anyone ordered tubes from Tube Depot?

Have you tried talking with Bob at Eurotubes? He does not require that you put a trim pot on your amp, and he is quite helpful. He's done me right a couple of times on two different amps. He provides top notch and personalized service. Give him a try.

Give Bob a chance. I had the same dilemma. I almost ordered from Tube Depot. But Bob was WAAAYY more knowledgeable. He completely re-invented my Mark IV and Stiletto. You must get his kits...Do it.

jackieTHEjokeman said:
Give Bob a chance. I had the same dilemma. I almost ordered from Tube Depot. But Bob was WAAAYY more knowledgeable.

I actually just e-mailed him with a couple of questions. One of my friends has ordered tubes from him and said he was very helpful, but, one of the JJ power tubes craped out on him within a couple of months. How does he match his tubes? Reliability is more important to me than tone (but not by much). I just don't want to have any problems when I'm playing live.

I've been running my Fender Prosonic for the last 2 years with JJ's. Pre's, Power Valves and Rectifier Valve. Compaired to the Factory Fender/GT valves, they breathed new life into my amp. It completely rounded out the tone if that makes any sense.

I only really play my amp in OD and set it to sound pretty similar to a Single Recto. Acctually, it is better because I use it in Class A mode with the Rectifier Valve running so it has some Sag. Sweet sweet tone. Loud as hell too.

I drive the valves hard and so far they haven't let me down at all. They don't even hum.

I guess like anything, even the best quality stuff will sometimes have issues. Look at the RK for example. Sometimes Valves die. I'm sure he would replace it.

Sanchez

I actually just e-mailed him with a couple of questions. One of my friends has ordered tubes from him and said he was very helpful, but, one of the JJ power tubes craped out on him within a couple of months. How does he match his tubes? Reliability is more important to me than tone (but not by much). I just don't want to have any problems when I'm playing live.

Tubes a little like light bulbs, and you should have some backup tubes and fuses, if you're gigging regularly. I had a pre amp tube go bad, and it was covered under warranty. Another was promptly shipped to me with an apology about getting a bad one. It could've happened regardless of who I bought from or the brand, but it comes down to how well the tubes are backed. Haven't had any other problems with mine.

I believe that the Eurotube site goes into how the tubes are matched, otherwise, I'm sure that Bob will tell ya with a phone call or an e-mail.

I would definitely buy from him again. He also helped me with some other issues involving tube amps, as I'm relatively new to them. The advice that he gave was friendly, solid, and helpful.

I definitely bring back up power tubes, preamp tubes, and fuses with me to gigs. However, it is a pain in the *** to have to troubleshoot then change a tube in the middle of a gig....but I know there is always that chance.

You're right, Bob at Eurotubes has been helpful and I think I'm going to get the standard recto 6L6 retube kit.

Have any of you tried the "high-gain front end" tubes where he gives you 3 ECC83S's with higher gain for the V1, V2, and V3 positions? I'm going with the standard replacement because I don't want to drastically change my sound, just improve on it a bit. Baby steps.....

I never really thought of different options in the preamp section. Just curious if anyone has tried that option.

The standard ECC83's are kind of dark for my taste. The hi-gain ones are brighter but not as fizzy as the stock "Russian 2's". While you're at it, try the GZ34 rectifiers too...a very noticeable improvement.

Well, the JJ's are on their way! I should get them in a couple of days. Thanks for everyones advice. I went with the "standard" 6L6 retube kit. I might try out the "high gain" retube kit on my ROV if I like how the JJ's sound in my DR. I'll let everyone know how they sound once I take them for a test drive....

Latest posts

Back