Check out my latest acquisition! '92 2 Channel Dual Recto

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
4nkam said:
Boogiebabies, do you have any tech info on how a 1994 Tremoverb head would compare to any of these older rectos? Thanks :)

mJ

It's a later Dual Rectifier with it's own circuit board. From what I know so far the board went through revisions RR1A to RR1E. It is very similar to the RF1F Dual Rectifier circuit with Tremolo and Reverb.There are some resistor upgrades on most of the to reduce the voltage to the LDR's. There is some information and schematics at www.tubefreak.com.

Boogiebabies said:
Dale B. said:
Boogiebabies said:
Those are correct for the first 500. The reading circuit board revision is not invasive. It's just hidden on the edge of the board. Once you know where it is you will see it in plain sight. My wiring was done by Kaydee, board by MS and final teched by Mike Bendinelli. My board is dated 4/92 and was teched in 6/92. Preamp version RF1C #0232.

I have the original hang tag and owners manual. When I get the motiviation, I am going to scan it for public distribution. It is totally different from the currently available manuals and is in pamphlet form.

I will check that out next time I pull the chassis and let you know. Mine has the regular cosmetics....Silverface/Black Chassis.

You were right though.... It has an attack like a pack of wolves! It's nuts! It sounds and feels like there is a little more of the Mark Series flavor thrown in there. They shouldn't have changed the circuit.

Mine is more than likely an RF1C as well. The #339 guy's gut shots look pretty much the same as mine and mine is 14 behind your's at #246.

Dale

I told you it's an animal. In all actuality it's Mesa take on the SLO 100 with a few tweaks. The actual schematic does not exist. I had asked Mesa for one and George Mueller had to draw one by hand from memory. It has only minor circuit changes from later versions, but those transformers may have more to do with it than we know.

The guy with 0082 has an RF1C also.

Enjoy.

Yeah, the different OT has a lot to do with it I'm sure. The power transformer will as well. The plate voltage on mine is about 20 volts lower in the Bold/Silicon Diode/6L6 mode from the average 465 that I was used to seeing. Lower plate voltage will yield a softer feel. In Spongy/Silicon Diode it was about 25 to 30 volts lower than normal. I've been using it in Spongy/Silicon Diode. I've got SED 6L6GC's in the power section, a JAN GE 12ax7wa in V1, RFT's in V2 and V3 and JJ Ecc83s in V4 and V5. Me likes that combination!

I like how the clean channel was set up as well and I was like WTF?!?! when I saw the whole "Channel Master 7-10" for Clean Rhythm on the Orange Channel gain switch. I actually like the cleans on this amp.

I was playing it a little while ago and was just blown away again at how different this amp reacts compared to all of the rest of them that I've owned. The sustain is a lot better and the depth of the notes is a lot better. Then the voicing of the amp in the Modern mode is just off the map. It sounds huge, yet it's completely under control and in focus. It just has lots of balls and doesn't feel as stiff or boxed off as the rest of them that I've owned.

VERY NICE! SHE STAYS! :)

Dale

Boogiebabies said:
4nkam said:
Boogiebabies, do you have any tech info on how a 1994 Tremoverb head would compare to any of these older rectos? Thanks :)

mJ

It's a later Dual Rectifier with it's own circuit board. From what I know so far the board went through revisions RR1A to RR1E. It is very similar to the RF1F Dual Rectifier circuit with Tremolo and Reverb.There are some resistor upgrades on most of the to reduce the voltage to the LDR's. There is some information and schematics at www.tubefreak.com.

Cool...Do you think one would most likely notice a difference in tone/feel if you were to compare it to an early recto or early rackmount recto?

mJ

Dale B. said:
Boogiebabies said:
Dale B. said:
I will check that out next time I pull the chassis and let you know. Mine has the regular cosmetics....Silverface/Black Chassis.

You were right though.... It has an attack like a pack of wolves! It's nuts! It sounds and feels like there is a little more of the Mark Series flavor thrown in there. They shouldn't have changed the circuit.

Mine is more than likely an RF1C as well. The #339 guy's gut shots look pretty much the same as mine and mine is 14 behind your's at #246.

Dale

I told you it's an animal. In all actuality it's Mesa take on the SLO 100 with a few tweaks. The actual schematic does not exist. I had asked Mesa for one and George Mueller had to draw one by hand from memory. It has only minor circuit changes from later versions, but those transformers may have more to do with it than we know.

The guy with 0082 has an RF1C also.

Enjoy.

Yeah, the different OT has a lot to do with it I'm sure. The power transformer will as well. The plate voltage on mine is about 20 volts lower in the Bold/Silicon Diode/6L6 mode from the average 465 that I was used to seeing. Lower plate voltage will yield a softer feel. In Spongy/Silicon Diode it was about 25 to 30 volts lower than normal. I've been using it in Spongy/Silicon Diode. I've got SED 6L6GC's in the power section, a JAN GE 12ax7wa in V1, RFT's in V2 and V3 and JJ Ecc83s in V4 and V5. Me likes that combination!

I like how the clean channel was set up as well and I was like WTF?!?! when I saw the whole "Channel Master 7-10" for Clean Rhythm on the Orange Channel gain switch. I actually like the cleans on this amp.

I was playing it a little while ago and was just blown away again at how different this amp reacts compared to all of the rest of them that I've owned. The sustain is a lot better and the depth of the notes is a lot better. Then the voicing of the amp in the Modern mode is just off the map. It sounds huge, yet it's completely under control and in focus. It just has lots of balls and doesn't feel as stiff or boxed off as the rest of them that I've owned.

VERY NICE! SHE STAYS! :)

Dale

" It sounds huge, yet it's completely under control and in focus. It just has lots of balls and doesn't feel as stiff or boxed off as the rest of them that I've owned. "

This is so unbelievably true.

The Random Hero said:
On the serial number thing, I know somebody who has r-001572 and its Feb 22/93. Mine being r-001143. I was told it was a late 92.

I just checked my hang tag and my amp is ser # is r-001582. Crazy. Did they number them correctly as in, mine was the 1582nd Recto head made? Does anyone know?

how about..............

SETTINGS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I'm still cleaning up the 339 but when shes done I want to put her loud!

Elpelotero said:
how about..............

I'm still playing around with mine and I probably won't get to do that today. When I pulled the chassis yesterday, I straned some muscles in my left hand. I've been rubbing Icy Hot on my left hand all morning. It's my pinky and ring finger on my left hand that is giving me problems.

The same thing happened a few years ago when I was pulling the chassis of the old Diezel VH4S that I owned, but it was worse. My whole hand was messed up for quite some time.

Dale

Elpelotero said:
how about..............

I run mine kind of "backwards" if you will. The red channel is cloned to vintage and tone section is set at about 2:00 on all. Gain is about 9:00 and presence adjusted according to taste. That's my clean setting. Orange channel is; tone about the same as red channel, gain at 12:00 and presence again adjusted according to taste. That's my lead sound. I have the loop on and adjust overall volume using the loop master. I change the bold/spongy switch depending on the stage and always run the tubes not the silicon diodes. Use a Timmy or a Liquid Sunshine to boost both channels as needed. I will use one of three Recto cabs; a 1x12 3/4 open back, an old 2x12 that has the back that can be taken off to make it a half open back, or the matching 4x12 to the head. What cab I use depends on stage size and volume needed. All three cabs sound great. My bands plays a very wide variety of material and this set up lets me get all the tones I need. I hope this helps.

Congrats Man!! I'm eventually going to track one of those pups down for myself....eventually. Then I'll have paternal twins hahaha. Good stuff man, need more shots and maybe clips?

-AJH

Since this is a pretty cool Two Channeler thread, would ya mind if I shared? Though, it's a '00 model, it does'nt sound too bad! And it's covered in Leather! 8)
[/img]
14months003.jpg

^^Sweet custom option!!

The settings i've been using so far are as follows...

Orange/Vintage - Lead Tone
Bass 12:00
Mid 12:00
Treble 1:00
Presence 8:30
Gain 3:30
Master 10:00

Red/Modern - Rhythm tone
Bass 11:30
Mid 11:00
Treble 12:00
Presence 8:30
Gain 2:00
Master 9:30

G-Major in the loop for delay on the orange channel. This is using my EBMM JP with D-Sonic in the bridge.

I am LOVING this amp. Totally loving it.

sweet. i've got everything cleaned on mine....not 100% beautiful as I would've liked and how i imagine it left the factory, but it's good enough. I just gotta get some of that shellac to put on the transformers.

Know where I can get a really small bottle for about 5 or 6$ anyone?home dept had them too big for my use.

jbird said:
Since this is a pretty cool Two Channeler thread, would ya mind if I shared? Though, it's a '00 model, it does'nt sound too bad! And it's covered in Leather! 8)
[/img]
14months003.jpg

That is HOT!!!! If you ever think about selling it let me know.

I tried selling it once! No bites! And that was at 2k! I was all hot on a VHT Deliverence! Then one day I fired her up and realized, these two channelers are bad! I don't think I'll ever sell this thing! You ever get that way with something? I tried selling one of my PRSi once, nobody bit, then it went on to become my go to guitar! Funny how things happen like that! I'm too sentimental with this crap! :oops:

Back