Check out my latest acquisition! '92 2 Channel Dual Recto

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

The Random Hero

Reaction score
Blackface :)

I should have more posts than this, but I lost my password, so, virgin post!

Blackface1.jpg

Blackface2.jpg

I traded my 2005 3 channel head for it, and much prefer this one. Thicker, meatier, smoother, and sounds more pissed off to me. Also, ch1 vintage mode just SINGS!!

SWEEET! do you have the serial #?

I got #339 about 2-3 weeks ago, and I wholeheartedly agree with you. The sound is very sweet, like candy or something, especially when you crank the gain past 12. Now i want to get out of here and go play it! ahhh!It's addicting :D . I'm actually going to clean mine up this afternoon after work because it is in no way close to being as shiny as yours. Very nice. Enjoy!

fricking beautiful, i bet it sounds insane, i wonder if they sell the black diamond plate separate, id like to convert my 3 channel to black grill black chassis...

awesome purchase, im sure you will only love it more as time goes on

My head looks exactly like that, black chassis, black diamond plate. I bought it new in '93 and have gone thru countless tubes and played hundreds of gigs with it. For the first time, it's in the shop right now to have it gone thru. Last few gigs, it wasn't sounding like it's old self. Amp guys that are much smarter than me said there might be some things going bad, caps, etc. and need to be replaced. I have been running EL34's just about since I got it and love the tone. So, a new set of Groove Tubes EL34LS's are going in too. Can't wait to get it back. I have the matching 4x12 and both are covered in leather. I agree with "The Random Hero" these old two channel heads do sound more "pissed off".

Thazy said:
My head looks exactly like that, black chassis, black diamond plate. I bought it new in '93 and have gone thru countless tubes and played hundreds of gigs with it. For the first time, it's in the shop right now to have it gone thru. Last few gigs, it wasn't sounding like it's old self. Amp guys that are much smarter than me said there might be some things going bad, caps, etc. and need to be replaced. I have been running EL34's just about since I got it and love the tone. So, a new set of Groove Tubes EL34LS's are going in too. Can't wait to get it back. I have the matching 4x12 and both are covered in leather. I agree with "The Random Hero" these old two channel heads do sound more "pissed off".

Sweet man. Mine is covered in leather too.

Very nice amp and JPMM. I think it's a 1993. The 92's were produced so slowly I don think they made it over 600 or 700. If you can pull the chassis it would be written inside. Some gut pics would be great too so we know what preamp version you have. As an a Mesa Archeologist, I have a theory that the first 500 used preamp RF1C and RF1A and B were prototype boards. They also used a different power tranny and the MK III 100 Watt OT. After 10/93 it may be an RF1F, but I have never found a D or E. The board version is hidden behind the 4 blue 30uf/500V filter caps on the main board. I wonder what output and power transformers are on that beast. It is so rare to see them in the lower serial numbers.

It's a great score and nice piece of Mesa history.

Boogiebabies said:
Very nice amp and JPMM. I think it's a 1993. The 92's were produced so slowly I don think they made it over 600 or 700. If you can pull the chassis it would be written inside. Some gut pics would be great too so we know what preamp version you have. As an a Mesa Archeologist, I have a theory that the first 500 used preamp RF1C and RF1A and B were prototype boards. They also used a different power tranny and the MK III 100 Watt OT. After 10/93 it may be an RF1F, but I have never found a D or E. The board version is hidden behind the 4 blue 30uf/500V filter caps on the main board. I wonder what output and power transformers are on that beast. It is so rare to see them in the lower serial numbers.

It's a great score and nice piece of Mesa history.

Interesting.

I'll try and get some gut shots in the next week or so, plus some better pictures. I'll borrow my girlfriends 7.2megapixel and get some good close up shots. You can then see how mint it is :)

You think I got a good deal trading it for a 2005 3ch then?

Mine has the 561136 PT and the 562100 OT. The choke is dated 5-16-92 and initialed by W.A. The choke number is 550381. The board is dated 5-5-92 and initialed by M.S. I can't see what version the board is and I don't want to mess with it. It's in great shape and everything is clean.

I'll upload some pics here in a little bit.

Dale

The plate voltage in Bold/Silicon Diode is 445 and the cathode current with this particular quad of SED 6L6GC's, that are within Mesa's Specs, is between 28 and 31 mA.

The plate voltage in Spongy/Silicon Diode was right at 375 and the cathode current was between 21 and 23 mA.

Not bad!

The Rectifier tubes were crushed during shipping. That's the reason why I've pulled the chassis. Well, I wanted to check and see if any screen grid resistors were blown. Anyway, I've got a pair of RCA Blackplate 5u4gb's on the way.

Dale

I still can't believe what great shape my amp is in, considering it's like, 14 years old. I was only 7 when it was made!

Dale B. said:
Mine has the 561136 PT and the 562100 OT. The choke is dated 5-16-92 and initialed by W.A. The choke number is 550381. The board is dated 5-5-92 and initialed by M.S. I can't see what version the board is and I don't want to mess with it. It's in great shape and everything is clean.

Dale

Those are correct for the first 500. The reading circuit board revision is not invasive. It's just hidden on the edge of the board. Once you know where it is you will see it in plain sight. My wiring was done by Kaydee, board by MS and final teched by Mike Bendinelli. My board is dated 4/92 and was teched in 6/92. Preamp version RF1C #0232.

I have the original hang tag and owners manual. When I get the motiviation, I am going to scan it for public distribution. It is totally different from the currently available manuals and is in pamphlet form.

Boogiebabies said:
Dale B. said:

Dale

Those are correct for the first 500. The reading circuit board revision is not invasive. It's just hidden on the edge of the board. Once you know where it is you will see it in plain sight. My wiring was done by Kaydee, board by MS and final teched by Mike Bendinelli. My board is dated 4/92 and was teched in 6/92. Preamp version RF1C #0232.

I have the original hang tag and owners manual. When I get the motiviation, I am going to scan it for public distribution. It is totally different from the currently available manuals and is in pamphlet form.

I will check that out next time I pull the chassis and let you know. Mine has the regular cosmetics....Silverface/Black Chassis.

You were right though.... It has an attack like a pack of wolves! It's nuts! It sounds and feels like there is a little more of the Mark Series flavor thrown in there. They shouldn't have changed the circuit.

Mine is more than likely an RF1C as well. The #339 guy's gut shots look pretty much the same as mine and mine is 14 behind your's at #246.

Dale

On the serial number thing, I know somebody who has r-001572 and its Feb 22/93. Mine being r-001143. I was told it was a late 92.

Dale B. said:
Boogiebabies said:
Dale B. said:

Dale

I will check that out next time I pull the chassis and let you know. Mine has the regular cosmetics....Silverface/Black Chassis.

You were right though.... It has an attack like a pack of wolves! It's nuts! It sounds and feels like there is a little more of the Mark Series flavor thrown in there. They shouldn't have changed the circuit.

Mine is more than likely an RF1C as well. The #339 guy's gut shots look pretty much the same as mine and mine is 14 behind your's at #246.

Dale

I told you it's an animal. In all actuality it's Mesa take on the SLO 100 with a few tweaks. The actual schematic does not exist. I had asked Mesa for one and George Mueller had to draw one by hand from memory. It has only minor circuit changes from later versions, but those transformers may have more to do with it than we know.

The guy with 0082 has an RF1C also.

Enjoy.

The Random Hero said:
On the serial number thing, I know somebody who has r-001572 and its Feb 22/93. Mine being r-001143. I was told it was a late 92.

Well bust out the screwdriver and unmount that beast. The PC date and final tech date are only minutes away. Even if it's a 92 it may have the RF1C, but will not have the same PT or possibly the same OT. Numbers off would be great too. Dont forget that Mesa does production in batches for orders. I can tell you this amp soon exploded and production dramatically increased.
For instance, I have had an RK II on order direct from Mesa for 4 months.
There has only been one production run for QC and they just started the second and I am still waiting. They are still built to order with the best QC they can, but when they get 300 orders on a hot new amp, they can bust these out in a month.

This is an exciting find.

Back