check it out: 1981 Mark IIB.... ?????

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mainly

Reaction score
just stumbled upon this on ebay and jumped on it.

http://cgi.ebay.com/81-MESA-Boogie-Mark-IIB-guitar-tube-amp-head-fender_W0QQitemZ140245051426QQihZ004QQcategoryZ118983QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

their feedback is %100 positive.
i was wondering if it was legit. whats up with the really low price? is the IIB really that much less of an amp than the IIC+?? (one sold recently on ebay for over $5000!!, and another was starting the bidding at $3100 something.

mind you these were both mark IIC+'s.

what do you guys think?

chad

The price was good, considering the $300 Sylvania power tubes are still in there :D . If it was mine, the amp would go to Mike Bendinelli for the "Post FX Level" mod. I have heard a 60/100 IIB (No EQ or Reverb) with the mod, and it was a very nice sounding amp. 8)

The IIB is my favorite amp. I would be cautions on the FX loop mod. It really changes the IIB sound and punch. I have one of each and a IIC+.

The mod is great but it changes the IIB vibe in a big way. Un modded the FX loop acts like a limiter on the lead channel and gets that different, punchy lead tone. The IIC+ and the Fx modded IIB has a much more gain lead channel. It all depends what you want.

I would get the amp and then try it for a while.

BWK

The IIB is my favorite amp. I would be cautions on the FX loop mod. It really changes the IIB sound and punch. I have one of each and a IIC+.

The mod is great but it changes the IIB vibe in a big way. Un modded the FX loop acts like a limiter on the lead channel and gets that different, punchy lead tone. The IIC+ and the Fx modded IIB has a much more gain lead channel. It all depends what you want.

I would get the amp and then try it for a while.

BWK

here's mine:

boogieheadshotavybx5.jpg

60 watt, no reverb.

after talking with mike B, i decided to NOT do the mod.

i use the head dry when recording, and i like the levels the way they are...

i use lower preamp levels, and drive the masters harder....
and this works great for me.

i've also discovered that with my Yamaha DG stomp, with the high/low impedence switch on the back, i can dial in completely different gain structures, for a more hi-fi kind of sound if i want.
i prefer the rawer sound...

Back