cheaper substitute for mesa rectifier tone?

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Coincidence.
I recently sold my L6 Vetta II (upgraded from V1) combo, bought a Single Rectifier.
I really thought the Triple recto tone on the Vetta was really good except I couldn't get the really sweet harmonic overtones out of the model.
I love my Single Recto. No need to go with 100W(dual) or 150W(triple) if you won't be playing unbelievably loud...the power of the single definitely cuts it in any decent sized bar, and regardless you should mic it anyhow.
Spend the dough.
Also make sure to get the mesa standard cab with v30s. I have tried it against the Traditional (smaller) as well as other 4x12s including Marshall 1960A and the Standard cab rocks.
Other option for cab is the 2x12 (i have one of these as well)- very thick tone for a 2x12.
good luck with your decision!
Dave

oyster said:
Coincidence.

I love my Single Recto. No need to go with 100W(dual) or 150W(triple) if you won't be playing unbelievably loud...the power of the single definitely cuts it in any decent sized bar, and regardless you should mic it anyhow.
Spend the dough.

Dave

Yeah, mic'ing it's cool....if the places you play at have a PA system! I've played several "places"/venues that either have no PA(in that case we bring our own setup) or their PA's can only handle the vocals and the kick drum. Many times I have to depend soley on my amp to go through the PA mix. That's why I bought a Triple :twisted:......... Now I'm always being told to turn down instead of turn up hahaha

Just a thought

-AJH

MattFree5 said:
I need an unbiased answer. I'm the market for a new amp. Just sold my line6 vetta II and I think I'm ready to go tube. I want that irresistable crunch of the mesa rectifier, was thinking maybe the single rectifier 50 watt solo, but not sure if I wanna pocket out 2000 plus. I don't know a whole lot about tube amps but is there a cheaper way to go and still get that same kinda tone. And on the same note, does the single rectifier sound like the dual? I figure since I play mostly bar gigs that 100 watts is a little much, right?

Maybe the old Peavey 5150's?

Dual Recto amps cost $4500+ new in Aus. The Rectoverb is $3000 :shock:

Consider Engl Fireball too. It's a good amp for a great price, but not as versatile as a DR (I used to have a FB, now I have a DR).

Jaro....you have to remember the topic....It's not "what other amp will sound good" He was asking for a cheaper substitute for the Recto sound and the Engl is definitely not any cheaper, at least not here in the States.

BTW - does anyone get the feeling the thread is no longer about what MattFree5 is looking for.....he hasn't responded to any of the posts since his initial question 8)

Jaroslav said:
Consider Engl Fireball too. It's a good amp for a great price, but not as versatile as a DR (I used to have a FB, now I have a DR).

Engl Fireball is half the price of a MB Single Rectifier here, I forgot that Mesas are cheap and Engls are expensive in the USA :shock:

EDIT: I am SHOCKED!!! Engl amps are cheap in the USA as well!!! A new Fireball costs 1200 USD which is more or less the same as in Europe... :shock:

What do you consider cheap? From what I can tell an Engl goes from $1500-4000...which is no cheaper than a dual rec head in the USA. Heck, you can get a Rectoverb combo for 1499 new and about 800-1000 used.

http://www.englampsusa.com/

Jaroslav said:
Engl Fireball is half the price of a MB Single Rectifier here, I forgot that Mesas are cheap and Engls are expensive in the USA :shock:

EDIT: I am SHOCKED!!! Engl amps are cheap in the USA as well!!! A new Fireball costs 1200 USD which is more or less the same as in Europe... :shock:

I was just thinking the same thing.

If you want it cheaper buy it used...

RazMeister,
I meant, that Engls in US (an in Europe also) are cheap compared to Mesas in Europe, where most probably the european distributor adds ridiculous amounts to the price. Or maybe Mesa has higher prices on european models without any apparent reason. www.rocksolidamps.com has Fireballs for 1199 USD.

Latest posts

Back