Channel Master on Rectoverb Combo

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TheRazMeister

Reaction score
Hey guys...
Was noodling with my ROV yesterday when I inadvertently turned my channel master up to 12:00 on the clean (non-pushed) channel. The gain was around 12:00 also and the TMB was normal (less mids, more T & B).
I strummed a chord and got the absolute worse sound I've ever heard from an amp. Sounded like overdriven flub...I was bummed until I notice that the Channel master was up...I backed it down to 9:00 and upped the Output and all was well.

I guess I'm a little worried that it was such a dramatically bad sound, yet it returned to sounding good after the simple adjustment.. Anyone else notice this about their Recs?

I'll have to try pushing the Clean channel...I've been pretty much Vintage channel 2 since I bought the thing so I'm not sure if it works like it's supposed to in other modes 8)

Koprofag said:
Well, as been said here and in the manual (I had the same question), the Mesa knobs are no no-brainers. It is possible to dial in settings that will make the preamp vibrate and sound bad, especially if you keep the FX loop at max.

This is the case if you have too much treble, bass, gain and master in various configurations. When you got that crappy tone you mentioned you probably had the channel 1 gain too high in relation to the channel master. Personally, if I max the gain I must keep the channel master at max 10 o'clock if the preamp is not going to "overfeed" and sound like that. Less gain (12 o'clock), preamp master at 10-12 and Output at 2 o'clock will give me a very thick, aggressive pushed clean without the preamp vibrating/buzzing/farting out.

BTW, I'm in love with the clean channel and I just realized much of Soundgarden's Superunknown is based on those sounds. :)

Hey Raz....

When I had my ROV, I found the same thing. Then when I sold it, the guy that I sold it to swore to me the amp was bad becuase it was "flubbing" out the speakers, even on the clean settings. He sent it back to me and I tried it on his settings he wrote down and he was using a pretty high channel volume, I backed it down and had a nice clean tone.

Later man...

PS. I did like channel 1 in the pushed mode... Sounded like a nice blues tone.

Thanks J....makes me feel a little better. I really like the amp but man can it get fickle.
Funny, the 1st time I heard one, the GC salesguy (drummer :roll: ) turned the channel master all the way up, I thought it was horrendus and I couldn't imagine anyone playing the ROV. Fortunately I got to mess with one by myself at a different store and fell in love with it.

tele_jas said:
Hey Raz....

When I had my ROV, I found the same thing. Then when I sold it, the guy that I sold it to swore to me the amp was bad becuase it was "flubbing" out the speakers, even on the clean settings. He sent it back to me and I tried it on his settings he wrote down and he was using a pretty high channel volume, I backed it down and had a nice clean tone.

Later man...

PS. I did like channel 1 in the pushed mode... Sounded like a nice blues tone.

Back