Changing strings and cheesy grins...

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mork

Reaction score
I had one of those evenings at rehearsal when everything sounded so sweet, the Lonestar was purring away, and those new strings were singing. So I got to wondering how often everyone changes their strings when playing live gigs? I used to do it for every gig, but these days I tend to drag it out for longer....too long probably..

I change after 3 high "E" string breaks. Which is about 2-3 weeks(Apprx) x 3 = 6-9 weeks. I know some guys are gonna frown on that length of time but you know what they say, "tone is in the hand". Plus, I hate changing strings, what a hassle!

It depends on the guitar for me. It seems with single coil equipped guitars, the strings last longer for me. With humbucker equipped guitars, I change them much more regular.

It very much depends on the acid mixture in your hands when you are sweating. I have so strong "finger acid" that a regular set of D'Addarios start having black/darker spots on them after a few hours of intensive playing. They start getting a little grimy and "rough" (well, not smooth) after two or three days. Funny enough, I played a 3 hour show yesterday, with brand new strings, and they're still shiny and silky smooth like new.

I use those Ernie Ball Wonder Wipes (string cleaner) almost every day, though, and they really help in keeping the strings clean, especially when new. But I'd say that with uncoated strings, I usually tend to change them every two weeks. If I have gigs on like three days in a row, I usually go with the same set, but when they start to get noticeably worn, I change them right before a gig.

Well you're all making me feel better about keeping a set of strings on for so long. I was expecting everyone to say they changed theirs for every gig- which I did use to do, but not anymore.

I'm lucky, my sweat isn't at all acidic so I don't even worry about wiping the strings off.

When I was playing regularly I used to change them for every show. I also used to play really really hard, so new strings were necessary or else I'd break one onstage for sure; nowadays my strings last a lot longer.

These days I'm not gigging that regularly, so I just gauge it (so to speak) by how they sound and feel. I like playing them in a bit, so I'll usually change them the day before a show and play them until they're stretched out. I don't play punk-rock hard anymore either, so even if I was gigging a lot, I'd probably change them every 2-3 shows.

Since I rotate use among 40+ instruments for studio, gig, and rehearsal use, I keep a string change chart in my studio just to keep up with string use and changes. I log the date of the string change and how many rehearsals and gigs those strings are played. For electric & acoustic guitars that are used for gigs I change strings after 3 gigs. For rehearsal guitars I can get twice that use or more. For the Ric 330-12 I change strings about 3 times a year since it only gets played on a handful of songs per gig. Consequently I buy strings by the case. With the string log I can pick up a guitar that hasn't been played in a few months and know right away how much the strings have been played. I know it sounds like a lot to go through but it works for me.
PS: I've settled into using DR's on the 6 string electrics, Martins on the acoustics, and Ric strings on the Rics. For my 5 string banjos I use custom sets of cryogenic strings from American Made Banjo Co. If those guys ever start treating guitar strings I'm definately going to give them a try since their banjo strings are the best I've ever played.

Judging from the mild corrosion I get on my guitars' hard ware, I assume my hands are slightly acidic. I used to change strings every week on any guitar that was getting regular use. When playing frequently, I used to change strings for every gig. I loath the sound of dull strings. Dead strings won't intonate, so I always use fresh strings for recording sessions. Studio time (mine or theirs) is a LOT more expensive than a set of strings.

For the past 3+ years I've been migrating from D'Addario strings to Snake Oil Brand strings. Some players debate about how long these strings last, but in my experience they typically last at least a month (6-10 hrs of private practice, 6-10 hrs of band rehearsal, 3-4 gigs) or more. Some people love 'em, while others think its all hype. I'm convinced they are more durable, less prone to breaking, and retain their tone longer. The difference between these and other strings is probably nothing more than better grades of metal alloys. In the time I've been using SOB strings, I've only broken one high E string, on a set that was a month old. SOB strings cost more ($8.50 per set), but the difference in cost is actually a savings of time and money, compared to when I used to change strings weekly.

I played a friend's guitar with fresh Elixer coated strings. I didn't mind their feel, but the tone wasn't working for me. A lot of pro acoustic players use Elixers, and don't mind the slightly duller sound when new, as regular acoustic strings sound that way after 4 hours of playing, anyway.

Regardless of what string you use, wiping 'em down after use takes hardly any time, and will make strings last longer. Old strings are obviously prone to breakage, so any gigging guitarist has no excuse to avoid this simple, proper maintenance. If not for the sake of good tone, at least change your strings to avoid unnecessary string breaks during a gig. Proper gear and instrument maintenance is part of being professional.

I change mine about other month. By that point they are pretty dead sounding. Ideally, I'd change them at least once month, but I usually leave them on way too long because I hate changing strings.

For me it depends on the string, but I've been using Kurt Mangans 10-42 pure nickel on my les pauls which lasts for weeks without rusting after playing three hours a day give or take, every day. I usually wipe my strings down, but sometimes I forget. On my strat I use the same brand but wound nickel 11-48's, fatter sound, better intonation and better playability without wearing out your hands on the 52's. However they rust VERY quickly, maybe 45 minutes or an hour after I play. Great sound but the little bastards have to be wiped down OFTEN.

Happy playing,
~ PilotSSW

Back