Changing jewel lights

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

xnfx

Reaction score
Is it hard to change the jewel lights on a Mesa? I see that they sell different color ones (green, purple). I wanted to change mine, but not if I have to open up the chassis and void warranty. :) This is for a Stiletto.

Thanks!

Just unscrew it. I switch them between my fender and boogies, unless the stilleto uses a different jewel type than the Blue Angel.

Super-easy - just unscrew it and put in a new one. Mesas use the same generic jewel lights that you can find online at amp parts sites, same as Fender.

I had one minor problem with changing the light on my Recto - color. The OEM bulb puts off a orangish-yellowish light instead of pure white. Light blue jewels turned green, dark blue turned kinda purple, etc.

You should probably buy a bunch of them so you can find out what works best. Unless Mesa still sells the original blue from the older Rectos . . .

Got it. Thanks guys!
So the part that unscrews is actually just a lens? And if I unscrew this, I don't have to hold any washer/nut or anything on the inside of the chassis to get it tightened up again right? How does the bulb come out?

Thanks for the tips on the bulb/light color! Would changing a jewel light somehow void your warranty from Mesa? :D

xnfx said:
Got it. Thanks guys!
So the part that unscrews is actually just a lens? And if I unscrew this, I don't have to hold any washer/nut or anything on the inside of the chassis to get it tightened up again right? How does the bulb come out?

Thanks for the tips on the bulb/light color! Would changing a jewel light somehow void your warranty from Mesa? :D

Shouldn't be any kind of washer or anything - easier than changing a regular light bulb - don't even need to turn your amp off. The plastic jewel lens in attachted to a piece of threaded metal so just thread it right on.

umm even if it did void your warrenty, then change it back when you send it in for repairs etc. no biggie....its the jewel is just a screw on and off with your hands. I agree it would be cool to have a different light on the stiletto. So it can have 3 different lights as oppose the channel 2 having red and the power light being red.

If you can change the jewel light, is there a way to replace the LEDs used for the channels?

The metal part on the Blue Angel jewel is painted black. That's the only one I've ever seen that really looks blue to me, though. Big fan of Blue things, here.

I'd love to have a green jewel in my recto, but what color would it be in reality with the weird LED?

i loved the light on my blue angel, it was a pastel blue, not clear lue, looked kinda like an old x-mas light...

I bought a handful once, the purple(violet), the blue, the green, amber, clear, and white. The Green looks green on any amp I've tried it on. Like the guy said earlier, though, the blue one looks more blue-green.

The lamp in the Angel has a line on it, so there's this weird dark stripe visible on the jewel. And right now, My Road King's lamp comes on sometimes, and sometimes, not so much. Bastards.

I live in Mesa country, and used to sell em for a living, their rep used to come into the shop and walk arround changing jewels on amps all the time just because he thought certain models looked better with certain color lights!

So no, its not going to void your warranty.
And you would be suprised at what you have to actually do to your amp to void your warranty with Mesa, they arent like other manufacturers in many respects, and this is one of em.

Boogie sells them on their website. go here: http://www.mesaboogie.com/amplitudes/2004/Sept04/store.htm

Ken j said:
Boogie sells them on their website. go here: http://www.mesaboogie.com/amplitudes/2004/Sept04/store.htm

That green doesn't look very green to me.. more like aqua or something.

I wonder how to get standard green?

Hey Platypus,
I found seen some darker green ones on tubesandmore.com but they are listed as fender replacements. That's why I'm trying to find out if Mesa uses the same ones. They are cheaper too. :)

xnfx said:
Hey Platypus,
I found seen some darker green ones on tubesandmore.com but they are listed as fender replacements. That's why I'm trying to find out if Mesa uses the same ones. They are cheaper too. :)

Yeah I believe they are Fenders, I think I read that earlier in the thread or on some website.

IMGP0999.jpg
:wink:

Very nice. What is that, white or clear? Is that a Fender one or did you get it from Mesa?

Back