Changed my faceplate

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

muramasa

Reaction score
Lately i've grown tired of the chrome faceplate on my recto, but mesa wanted $200 for a black face plate, so i did my own.

3830828825_babc4208c6_b.jpg

I used a heat gun to remove the faceplate, then I sanded it with 220 sandpaper, I washed it with dawn to remove any oil, primed it with 2 coats, let it dry and then 2 coats of flat black. the paint was rustoleum painters touch.

cost $50 for supplies,

I wish I could powdercoat but I don't have the means.

Hmmmmmm I think I will give mine a shot. Yours is actually the best I have seen so far. Usually the black looks caked on and really bad.

Thanks

I think the key is to sand very well, make sure there are no shiny spots, clean it very well, two coats of primer, let it dry overnight, and then two coats of black flat paint.

I googled "how to paint metal" and that gave me pretty good directions. if you have an questions on doing it let me know.

not to hard, but I had to use a heatgun and a hammer to get it off. took about ten minutes and i had to use the claw side of the hammer to get it off. The face plate got really hot so I had to use gloves.

I took my chassis out of the head, sat it face down on the floor, and on the back there's a small edge where the diamond plate is exposed. I took a short 2x4 and a hammer and gave it several sharp whacks then peeled it the rest of the way off.

That is one sexy head!! Anything super special about it besides the sick blackout and it being a 2-channel? Maybe an early rev?

kingster911 said:
That is one sexy head!! Anything super special about it besides the sick blackout and it being a 2-channel? Maybe an early rev?

Not really its a Rev G from July of 2000 but thanks though

muramasa said:
kingster911 said:

Not really its a Rev G from July of 2000 but thanks though

My rev G. is from August 2000... and it is on the other side of the country!

I love to see just how far apart they can get...

Kind of like cars... they all have a story.

^where exactly are you? I bought mine used from a music go round in Wisconsin. Also I had a question for you. Do you run your pedals through the fx loop? Mine doesn't seem to change the sound to much but, I get lots of hum on channel 2. I only get hum when using the loop and i'm running my gain around 12 o'clock, so i don't think its because I have too much. So I running all my effects in front of the amp. Just wondering if you have the same problem.

EDIT: I see that your 2 channel dual is serial #R-015441 and made in August of 2000. While mine is #R-015948 but made in July 2000. Thats strange!

Nice work man!

My question is... Where did you get the new style knobs? I can't stand the old ones that come on the 2 channel rectos and I want to change to the newer styled dome knobs. I have yet to find any that have the indicating hole.

muramasa said:
^where exactly are you? I bought mine used from a music go round in Wisconsin. Also I had a question for you. Do you run your pedals through the fx loop? Mine doesn't seem to change the sound to much but, I get lots of hum on channel 2. I only get hum when using the loop and i'm running my gain around 12 o'clock, so i don't think its because I have too much. So I running all my effects in front of the amp. Just wondering if you have the same problem.

EDIT: I see that your 2 channel dual is serial #R-015441 and made in August of 2000. While mine is #R-015948 but made in July 2000. Thats strange!

Oops. I just went and re-looked at the pic I took of the date and it is indeed July as well. I live in Virginia.

mesadate.jpg

I don't use my effects loop... it's just not my thing. I use a line selector out front and run my pedals in a loop through it... So they are only in when I want them to be.

sdgiffin said:
Nice work man!

My question is... Where did you get the new style knobs? I can't stand the old ones that come on the 2 channel rectos and I want to change to the newer styled dome knobs. I have yet to find any that have the indicating hole.

actually it came with the knobs when I bought it. sorry not much help

Latest posts

Back