Celestion C90 Speakers?

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

adamg

Reaction score
Does anyone know what sort of sound celestion c90 speakers give off inside a mesa boogie oversized or traditional cab?

I don't really know too well what i'm asking here but are they sort of vintage sounding speakers or big phat sounding or alot of treble or something?

Pretty much what you put in you get out. These speakers also sound really really ice picky when your ears are at speaker level so that means that your audience will get the same effect. Maybe a beam blocker would help? I like the speakers when they are driven a little bit but I also use the C90 in an open back cab.

C90's are like a V30 with a more linear response so there's not such a huge mid hump. I like the way it sounds in my 212 cab where the top speaker is open backed. I am using it with a triaxis preamp and 20/20 power amp.

greg

how do you think they would sound if i had a 20/20 pre-amp and a triaxis aswell v2.0, but had c90's in an oversized mesa 4x12 cab?
would it be like a heavy sort of big phat sounding thing? or i'm not sure how to explain what i mean :-\

i have a 20/20 and a triaxis like you do but am looking at buying a cab. so far i've found a 4x12 oversized mesa custom cab but it is loaded with c90 speakers so i'm trying to find people who've used these compared to something i've used like the v30's in a 2x12 tremoverb amp and just don't know what the setup would sound like since i want to play things like metallica and so fourth...

any ideas?

C 90'S ice picky ? I fint v30's ice picky/harsh etc... In fact the c-90s in a open back cab sound better to be because there is already a huge amount of bass and its tight as well. The top end of c90's is smooth to me but in a close back maybe not

dissasembled what do you use them in ?

C90's have that almost eric johnson smokey top end with my lone star classic . smoother than any fender combo I ever had.

Reread my post. I said when your ears are at speaker level then they are ice picky. This is true of most speakers so it isn't saying much but is just an observation. Here's a test: dial in a tone that is smooth or even a little darker than normal for you when you are standing. Now bring your ear the the speaker's level and tell me the speaker sounds the same.

I use the C90 in mark series 212 cab so the C90 is open backed and not closed back but it is also raised up and pointed towards my face.

The C90's would sound fine for what you need but you won't be getting much speaker breakup from your 20/20 amp. 180 watts per side being pushed by 20 watts of EL84 power is not going to move as much air as 90 watts of 6L6 simul class power would.

The 20/20 will probably be the limiting factor if you need to be loud and have huge bass as it just runs out of juice. Don't get me wrong it will be loud enough to play with a band but the tones you're after require more power if you're to need them at high volumes. Maybe a 50/50, a 2:90, or a 2:100 would give you what you're looking for.

Greg

ok so what if it were a 20/20 and triaxis in an oversized CLOSED back cab with c90's in it?
it'd be a good amp to rumble some *** with and have a good low end, good for drop tuned stuff but also able to do standard sort of tuned **** well and be nice and tight too?

yeah any speaker is at ear level. I still think they almost dont need blockers but to many factors need to be accounted for to tell that.

I tried a beam blocker in my ROV and I didn't like it. The amp just sounded too unfocused. The C90 in my ROV sounds fine unaltered. (the real problem was the pickups in my guitar not the speaker)

I have read that the C90 is the Celestion Classic Lead 80, but with a vented mesh dome to allow a higher wattage rating. YMMV.

I'm a big fan of the C90. Like a V30 without the nasty midrange hump is a good description - smooth and clean response, not much breakup even when pushed really hard. It's my favorite speaker for the Recto series.

I had an MC90 in my Nomad 45 and I recently swapped it for a V30 because I was missing some bass and found the lead tones smoother with the V30.
I'm happy now with the V30. It might be too punchy when played home but with the band it cuts through very well and the mid hump is less apparent.
The MC90 is a great speaker, great sparkling cleans. I think it fits better with 6L6 tubed amps (much more bass there) where the V30 suits the EL84 better, so for your 20x20 I'd go V30s but it's only me!.
In the later versions of the Nomads The EL84 45 model came with V30s where the 6L6 55 and 100 models came with MC90.
I used the Nomad 45/MC90 with a 2x12 cab V30 loaded and the speakers mixed very well. Now I'm gonna try to replace one of the V30s in the 2x12 with a G12H30 just to see (well hear actually), it seems to be a great combo!

Fabien

Latest posts

Back