Celestion Alnico Gold in a boogie ?

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jamme61

Reaction score
Anyone try this speaker out yet? I was thinking of putting it in my Express 5:50.

Me too, I asked about it a while back... no response from anyone.

One person on HC mentioned using them in a LS. http://reviews.harmony-central.com/reviews/Guitar+Amp/product/Celestion/GOLD/10/1

If you get a celestion gold in your boogie, let the board know what you think.

vermillion said:
Me too, I asked about it a while back... no response from anyone.

One person on HC mentioned using them in a LS. http://reviews.harmony-central.com/reviews/Guitar+Amp/product/Celestion/GOLD/10/1

If you get a celestion gold in your boogie, let the board know what you think.

This forum is tough. It's hard to get any info? I don't get it, I really was hopeing to get some info on this speaker from Mesa amp guys but, it's always tough getting anyone to chime in. Anyone out there use this guitar in a mesa or ??

This is a personal opinion on the Celestion Gold,

since most of MESA's amplifiers into moderate to hi gain, I could see a speaker like this beneficial to a Maverick, Blue Angel and LoneStar Special, EL84 power tube amps, maybe a DC2, DC3, Subway, Studio .22 and maybe an Express.

Not so sure how it will do with the other MESA amps. I really not sure how it takes preamp distortion, I know it great with EL84 power tube distortion.

I don't have a Celestion Gold but I do I have the closes speaker to it, Weber Blue Dog 50 watt.

I guess not much info from me. :?

Change speakers mucho mucho times in my LSS

The Gold is now in there, and is most likely going to stay

went from the stock C90 - seemed too warm maybe
slight blanket over the amp syndrome, not enough
high end sparkle

switched to a Celestion Blue - way too jangly for what
I was looking for, sounded like a Vox, which is fine
but not for the LSS sound I was looking for

switched to Weber Blue Dog - 30 watt undoped
liked it better than the Celestion Blue, little warmer
not as chimey.

switched to the Gold, more bass and tighter bass
then the Celestion Blue and not as chimey
Love the speaker, about to add one to my LSC 2x12
perhaps a C90 mixed with a Celestion Gold

Hi ....

I have the Road King II ... just got it and my intention is to run
it with the cab switching feature as follows
I have had two new cabs built identical to the spec of a Mesa 4x12 straight traditional but with a back panel split into three segments.
This way I can make either cab open or sealed back just by removing the mid panel ...
I loaded one with V30s and use this as cab B for heavier tones. the second one I have left for (once i have recovered more money after RKII spending) putting in Alnico Golds as cab A for cleaner tones. this will be expensive but I really want to try and as soon as I have it all I can mention back .... however
I also have a '72 AC30 with its original Alnico blues and tried the rKII and my Stiletto through it ... sounds great with cleans or near break up ... but not much for the more aggressive things the amps can do, not enough bass and whats there is loose ... though my alnicos are 35 years old, I believe that was the intention of the golds, to get that old tone in a more useable power rating...
I can record this if you are at all bothered otherwise, hope this is some more help

TheSon said:
Hi ....

I have the Road King II ... just got it and my intention is to run
it with the cab switching feature as follows
I have had two new cabs built identical to the spec of a Mesa 4x12 straight traditional but with a back panel split into three segments.
This way I can make either cab open or sealed back just by removing the mid panel ...
I loaded one with V30s and use this as cab B for heavier tones. the second one I have left for (once i have recovered more money after RKII spending) putting in Alnico Golds as cab A for cleaner tones. this will be expensive but I really want to try and as soon as I have it all I can mention back .... however
I also have a '72 AC30 with its original Alnico blues and tried the rKII and my Stiletto through it ... sounds great with cleans or near break up ... but not much for the more aggressive things the amps can do, not enough bass and whats there is loose ... though my alnicos are 35 years old, I believe that was the intention of the golds, to get that old tone in a more useable power rating...
I can record this if you are at all bothered otherwise, hope this is some more help

Awesome thanks, I've read that the golds are better with the bass then the blues, I shouldn't say better, I mean different, the gold have a tighter bass, which seems to be what I'm looking for. I'm going to try one in my Express 5:50 1x12 as soon as I can raise the cash. I already swapped out the C90 with a GH12 celestion which is under powered for the 50 watts but sounds really good. I wish I could just leave it there but the express sounds fantastic for my gigs and I'm always looking for more thanks for the info.

I put a pair of Celestion Gold speakers in my LSS 2x12. There was a very noticable improvement...but the REAL improvement came once the speakers had broken in.

Much better bass response, nice pleasant high end. No harshness at all.

I was happy with the amp overall before the speaker change but it wasn't "magic" to my ears. These speakers really have made my LSS have a "magical" quality.

Actually earlier this year Guitar Player Magazine critique contrasting and comparing the Blues and Gold. Although they're similar they don't sound as identical.

jamme61 said:
what about the eminence RED FANG? there around half the price?
An owner of vintage replicates speaker co. said something similar. Not necessarily in those words but [paraphrase] someone on his bulletin board was asking about Celestion Gold 'cause they're expensive.

He responded: "Celestion Gold are nice sounding speakers but not sure why they're so expensive beats me when Eminence makes a similar model for half the price. The basket, paper, magnet, voice coil doesn't justify why manufacturing them cost so much."

Although he did not disclose which Eminence model. :twisted:

I think for the $150 I'll try the red fang alnico. $300 is to much for me to swing right now, for the gold and God forbid i ever blew a $300 speaker.

RR said:
jamme61 said:
what about the eminence RED FANG? there around half the price?
An owner of vintage replicates speaker co. said something similar. Not necessarily in those words but [paraphrase] someone on his bulletin board was asking about Celestion Gold 'cause they're expensive.

He responded: "Celestion Gold are nice sounding speakers but not sure why they're so expensive beats me when Eminence makes a similar model for half the price. The basket, paper, magnet, voice coil doesn't justify why manufacturing them cost so much."

Although he did not disclose which Eminence model. :twisted:

I'm sure Celestion feels their brand is worth a premium. In the >$200 range, no way are these mfgs doing cost based pricing. So yea, it's no surprise that there is a huge margin on the Golds.

Latest posts

Back