Can't stand modern Marshalls!

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
musicbox said:
i guess theres a reason two of the best guitar amps in history, the plexi and the marki, were both based on fenders!
Right, the "Fender Amps" book states that Jim Marshall chose the last version of the 4x10 tweed Bassman (model 5F6-A without 1.5 kOhms "swamper resistors") as the pattern for the first Marshall amp. And the piggyback Bassman in white tolex also had that circuit layout including the 4 preamp stages in the "Bass" channel as this 4x10 combo.

I owned a dsl50 for a years time before trading in for my boogie. Before purchasing, I played all of the dsl and tsl series, and they all had an extremely similare tone. The main issue I had with this tone was..
1.No matter what I plugged into these amps, almost everything sounded the same. P90's sounded like humbuckers, hot single coils sounded like humbuckers, and I wasn't able to tell the differce between a guitar loaded with an Invader and a Jeff Beck. Never mind differentiating between maple and rosewood necks, or what kind of wood the body was made of. It was a decent tone, but everything had the exact same tone.

2. There was this everrpresent buzzsaw type tone to it, that was there anytime there was enough gain to really dip into the harmonic content of the amp. I know voodoo can mod them to fix this, but thats 400 bones american, and marshall should have made this amp as good as it could get before selling it.

3. The nomad I tried and bought just seemed to do the marshall thing better than the marshall. It way more alive at lower volumes, and the harmonic spread was alot more lush and much more pleasing to the ears.

Sure the marshall did alot of thigns great, it had a hugeee thumpy bottom end with the deep switch, but the highs were kind of harsh, and the tone controls did next to nothing. Plus it sounds like every rock band playing music right now thats not using a recto. How can you find your own tone with that amp when it sounds like everyone else?

JazzRules said:
Be they AVT, TSL, DSL, MGX, Valvestate, JCM900, even the 800. Just awful sound, made with 14 year olds in mind.

I hate alot of things, forgive me. Among them are: (c)rap "music", metal, nu-metal, punk, nu-metal-punk and contrived wars over "stockpiles of WMD that posed an imminent threat to the United States", ......

but I digress!

huh? I can see most of those that you listed but a JCM800 2203 or 2204 don't fall in the same catagory imho, they are smoking amps that ooze killer tone.

Shawn Lutz said:
JazzRules said:
Be they AVT, TSL, DSL, MGX, Valvestate, JCM900, even the 800. Just awful sound, made with 14 year olds in mind.

I hate alot of things, forgive me. Among them are: (c)rap "music", metal, nu-metal, punk, nu-metal-punk and contrived wars over "stockpiles of WMD that posed an imminent threat to the United States", ......

but I digress!

huh? I can see most of those that you listed but a JCM800 2203 or 2204 don't fall in the same catagory imho, they are smoking amps that ooze killer tone.

ACtually, not all JCM800s are alike, or so I'm "toad". Some feature the clipping diodes, some do not. I really hate the idea of clipping diodes. It's akin to putting a fuzzbox between tube gain stages. Guitar AC input, square wave output. "No es bueno".

the JCM800 reissues suck compared to the real ones. And Im the kind of person who hates it when people say the old ones were better!

The best amp they make right now IMO is the AVT, which is a great practice amp.

The 1960 cab still rules the school though.

i know a guy that has an old 2203 and its amazing! i just found my friend a valstate bi chorus which i think sounds pretty much the same or better than a new TSL, to me its a really super average amp, and thats it. not really "bad" per se but nothing makes it anything more.

no soul said:
The best amp they make right now IMO is the AVT, which is a great practice amp.

If that's true, Marshall should commit corporate suicide. Soldano and Rivera should have put them out of business by now anyway, not to mention all the clones.

You can tell by the "tone" of the white noise hiss, that an AVT is a crappy amp, even without plugging a guitar in. Just awful.

Then again, some people think Kurt NoBrain actually could play guitar. Some say Jimi Hendrix was the "greatest" too, but those folks usually have a hard time spelling "Segovia", "McLaughlin", "Burrell", "Montgomery", "Carlton", "Ford", "Parkening", "Bream" etc etc.

Glad we have Boogies and aren't forced to play Marshall AVTs, MGxs, TSLs, DSLs etc. I'd quit playing otherwise.

JazzRules said:
Shawn Lutz said:
JazzRules said:

but I digress!

ACtually, not all JCM800s are alike, or so I'm "toad". Some feature the clipping diodes, some do not. I really hate the idea of clipping diodes. It's akin to putting a fuzzbox between tube gain stages. Guitar AC input, square wave output. "No es bueno".

No diode cliping in the 2203/4's. I have an 83 2203 and it is a great amp. What I find somewhat funy is folks who dog the diode clipping models yet put a stomp box OD in front of it which is just diode clipping in a box :)

Shawn Lutz said:
JazzRules said:
Shawn Lutz said:

No diode cliping in the 2203/4's. I have an 83 2203 and it is a great amp. What I find somewhat funy is folks who dog the diode clipping models yet put a stomp box OD in front of it which is just diode clipping in a box :)

With a 3 channel Boogie, who'd ever need a fuzzbox?

musicbox said:
I owned a dsl50 for a years time before trading in for my boogie. Before purchasing, I played all of the dsl and tsl series, and they all had an extremely similare tone. The main issue I had with this tone was..
1.No matter what I plugged into these amps, almost everything sounded the same. P90's sounded like humbuckers, hot single coils sounded like humbuckers, and I wasn't able to tell the differce between a guitar loaded with an Invader and a Jeff Beck. Never mind differentiating between maple and rosewood necks, or what kind of wood the body was made of. It was a decent tone, but everything had the exact same tone.

2. There was this everrpresent buzzsaw type tone to it, that was there anytime there was enough gain to really dip into the harmonic content of the amp. I know voodoo can mod them to fix this, but thats 400 bones american, and marshall should have made this amp as good as it could get before selling it.

3. The nomad I tried and bought just seemed to do the marshall thing better than the marshall. It way more alive at lower volumes, and the harmonic spread was alot more lush and much more pleasing to the ears.

Sure the marshall did alot of thigns great, it had a hugeee thumpy bottom end with the deep switch, but the highs were kind of harsh, and the tone controls did next to nothing. Plus it sounds like every rock band playing music right now thats not using a recto. How can you find your own tone with that amp when it sounds like everyone else?

Now you sound like the perfect Boogie candidate. Bet you wouldn't kick a Two Rock, Fuchs or Matchless out of bed either.

in currenlty sleeping with an angel...a blue angel that is! i'm heavily infatuated. i cant keep my ears off 'er. i can HEAR my calases - i can HEAR the differnece between a .69 and a .73 pick. this is fantastic. whats the story on two rock and fuchs, i've never heard of them!

axwielding1 said:
I have to disagree with the "new marshall" being crap. The TSL is quite a toneful amp. Really nice clean, great crunch, and wailing lead. I loaded my son's with GT6CA7GE's and GT12AX7M's, and it sounds excellent. I have a Mark III with 2 Thiele/EV cabs, in hardwoon and wicker. I still like the JTM 45 and the 1987X sitting on a basketweave greenback loaded cab. I love the howl of a "plexi", and thinks the marshall class A amps have huge harmonic content. Don't get me wrong, I love my Mark III, and can get just about any tone, and cut well, it's always jaw-dropping, but a marshall has alot of mojo, and the simple "turn it up" value is really appealing to me.
Any non- master marshall amp is surely a tone beast, and although they're only a 1 or 2 trick amp, they do their tricks VERY well, reguardless of their manufacturing date.....
ax. :twisted:

I agree, I think the TSL and DSL rock mightily. I spent a couple hours recently screwing around with a TSL halfstack at GC recently trying out guitars. Although it wasn't as monstrous/loud as my MkIII, the TSL has a VERY Rock N Roll thing goin' on, or at least the one I played did. Some call it mojo, and most tube Marshalls seem to have it. 8) I would never trade the MkIII for it (which goes beyond mojo! :shock: ) but I plan to add a TSL to my stable at some point.

I agree, Marshall mids are perfect. They sing, and are very toneful. Just the right amount. My mark III has a barky mid tone , until I cut it with the EQ, then it's purr-fect!

axwielding1 said:
I agree, Marshall mids are perfect. They sing, and are very toneful. Just the right amount. My mark III has a barky mid tone , until I cut it with the EQ, then it's purr-fect!

Yeah, "all" Marshalls must have "perfect" mids, just because the name says Marshall. Marshall sells millions of amps to people who "think" the very same.

Marshall hasn't made a good amp since 1969, get over it.

Ya man, just like every mesa has a big chuggin bottom end, and every peavey sounds like evh, and every fender will have you sounding just like the vaughen... mmhmmm...it was never assumed as such. the jubilee, 2203, 30th aniversry, and dsl50 are all brilliant amps, all made after 1969.

hey you know what? **** marshall, they basically took the bassman circut and added el34's. they've never made a good amp, fender did. and ****, you know waht else! boogie just stole the princeton tone circut and added a bullshit cascading gain stage. and peavy? pfff, they jsut ripped off mesa's cascading gain stage, just like every other comapny in existence. nope, progress means nothing. forget 1969. marshall bascially ruined a perfectly good circut. good amps stopped being made in 1950; the second the bassman circut was penned by some hopefull radio mech. do i dare go on to accuse fender of stealing his bassman design from a radio?

ya, i was accused of being pompous in another thread. my deepest appologies. pull your head out of your ***. :x

musicbox said:
, and dsl50 are all brilliant amps, all made after 1969.

The DSL 50 is one of the absolule WORST amps I've ever heard in my life. Utter garage band crap amp. Not one decent sound to be found. I've tried them, TSLs, AVTs, MGx and the lamentable Valvestate series of "yore".

The JCM 800, darling of the hair (brained) metal moron generation of idiots is another unmitigated POS. I find it interesting you'd cite that on a Boogie board as well.

theres more than one person on here that would back up any of the amps i've listed. if your going to bring down the jcm800, you might as well bring down the recto, markiii, and perhaps even a diezel?

or bogner, or engl, or vht, or thd, or krank.
the jcm800 more than served its purpose when it came out, theres
no disputing that.

i once owned a DSL 401. There are some serious constrution issues with marshall amps nowadays. The soldering was VERY bad. After some time the amp turned randomly off and on, the reverb stopped working ... and so on. When playing an hour it got so hot that you could fry some eggs on top of it. I wonder why never installed a fan inside. Sorry but i would never go for the a DSL or TSL again, as long as they are manufactured that way in india ... (nothing against india by the way :)) :shock:

Latest posts

Back