Can't stand modern Marshalls!

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JazzRules

Reaction score
Be they AVT, TSL, DSL, MGX, Valvestate, JCM900, even the 800. Just awful sound, made with 14 year olds in mind.

I hate alot of things, forgive me. Among them are: (c)rap "music", metal, nu-metal, punk, nu-metal-punk and contrived wars over "stockpiles of WMD that posed an imminent threat to the United States", ......

but I digress!

dylan7620 said:
i actually liked the old valvestates better than any of those newer AVTs

Really? I guess that shouldn't suprize me, given Marshall's penchant for making increasingly tasteless, obnoxious amps that have nothing in common with the old Plexis.

yea, i play TSLs and stuff and go ok, so thats it? i dont understand how it can be such an amazing amp when it really doesnt do too much for me... again i like the old VSs better than even the new TSLs!!! :roll:

if you hate ALL modern marshalls, then surely you havent played the new handwired reissues? nothing boogie makes can even get near these things for vintage tone reproduction and accuracy...although itll cost you a tripple rec+cab to get your hands on an 18 watter.

i agree with you on the rest of those amps though. in terms of tone, they're terrible, althought the 800 seems to have garnered a reputation outside the rest of the modern marshalls. i personally own a jcm900 combo that i use stricly use as an extension poweramp and speakers for my boogie. its another 100 watts of very breatheable headroom and the vintage 30's sound great with the boogie.

one modern marshall that does not deserve your hate is the 30th anniversary. i havent been fortunate enough to own one, but i played a combo in a store a year ago and i couldnt get over the vintage tones that came out. kind of a roadking for marshall

surely if you hate the modern things coming out of marshalls shack, you cant think much of the dual and tripple recs? i personally find them a bit of a joke, but then again i've grown to hate the tone associated with master volume amps and high gain preamps... i've become an advocate of poweramp distortion after over-cranking my nomad and leaving the gain at 9:30.

musicbox said:
if you hate ALL modern marshalls, then surely you havent played the new handwired reissues? nothing boogie makes can even get near these things for vintage tone reproduction and accuracy...although itll cost you a tripple rec+cab to get your hands on an 18 watter.

i agree with you on the rest of those amps though. in terms of tone, they're terrible, althought the 800 seems to have garnered a reputation outside the rest of the modern marshalls. i personally own a jcm900 combo that i use stricly use as an extension poweramp and speakers for my boogie. its another 100 watts of very breatheable headroom and the vintage 30's sound great with the boogie.

one modern marshall that does not deserve your hate is the 30th anniversary. i havent been fortunate enough to own one, but i played a combo in a store a year ago and i couldnt get over the vintage tones that came out. kind of a roadking for marshall

surely if you hate the modern things coming out of marshalls shack, you cant think much of the dual and tripple recs? i personally find them a bit of a joke, but then again i've grown to hate the tone associated with master volume amps and high gain preamps... i've become an advocate of poweramp distortion after over-cranking my nomad and leaving the gain at 9:30.

I tend to like the classic Boogies. I hate to write off everything that says "Recto" however. Certainly the Maverick and Road King are fantastic, soulful, excellent amps.

Haven't played those handwired, custom shop Marshalls. I'm sure they bring back vintage sound, but are very limited to just that.

People rave about Dr Zs with a total of one to three knobs. Really, there's a Doc Z selling for about $1500 with ONE KNOB (volume).

I tend to like channel switching and effects loops.

As much as I love my Road King...I really regret selling my JCM 800. If I only knew then what I know now...

im sure you could find one on ebay for not to much? or has all the hype escaladed the price beyond comprehension?

musicbox said:
if you hate ALL modern marshalls, then surely you havent played the new handwired reissues? nothing boogie makes can even get near these things for vintage tone reproduction and accuracy... although itll cost you a tripple rec+cab to get your hands on an 18 watter.
Right, there are some nice sound samples with that 18 watts Marshall combo plus extension cab available from a PAF comparison:

http://www1.gitarrebass.de/magazine/0502/paf.htm

The guitar used for that test was a Gibson Historic Les Paul, and it's interesting how both the amp and the guitar dominate the overall sound of these samples.

hans-jürgen said:
musicbox said:
if you hate ALL modern marshalls, then surely you havent played the new handwired reissues? nothing boogie makes can even get near these things for vintage tone reproduction and accuracy... although itll cost you a tripple rec+cab to get your hands on an 18 watter.
Right, there are some nice sound samples with that 18 watts Marshall combo plus extension cab available from a PAF comparison:

http://www1.gitarrebass.de/magazine/0502/paf.htm

The guitar used for that test was a Gibson Historic Les Paul, and it's interesting how both the amp and the guitar dominate the overall sound of these samples.

Think I'll take Santana, Larry Carlton, Hiram Bullock, Alan Holdsworth's sound. Vintage Boogie sounds alot better to me, for some reason.

ah to each his own....it's hard to get a good crunchy chunky rhythm sound out of a mark one, and you can still get a 'hall of fame' lead tone along with a classic chunk out of a jtm or plexi;)

mmm, i've been contemplating a blackface for a year or two now. they are quite abundant on ebay, for fairly low prices. although they're mostly from the early 70's late 60's. no precbs fun for under 400 bucks. hows the headroom?

musicbox said:
mmm, i've been contemplating a blackface for a year or two now. they are quite abundant on ebay, for fairly low prices. although they're mostly from the early 70's late 60's. no precbs fun for under 400 bucks. hows the headroom?
I don't know how the blackface ones sound, there are several versions of course (with white knobs from mid 1963 in white or black tolex or later with numbered knobs etc.). But you're right that they are a good bargain on eBay, maybe even the silverface versions if they didn't mess up the electronics too much during that time.

I just reread the Bassman chapter in the "Fender Amps" book, so now I know that mine is very likely from early 1962 because of the rough white tolex (which some stupid guy painted black, d'oh!), brown front, white knobs, maroon grille cloth and "dog-bone" handle. Re: headroom I can fairly say that this amp is a monster and one of the reasons I'll keep it forever. :) It already has a silicon rectifier stage (no tube) which contributes to the stable and huge sound of that amp. Another reason is the DC plate voltage exceeding 500 V (power transformer is an original export model) which is more than my Mark IIB has (~480 V). I usually play that amp over an old Marshall cab with 2 Greenbacks and 2 G12 H30, but not all 4 most of the time, because my band mates would kill me... :roll:

It reacts to different impedance loads, too, so an ideal partner rather is a 4 ohms cab in my opinion, definitely not 16 ohms. When I connect all 4 Celestions to it, the overall load is below 3 ohms (8 and 4 parallel), and it can take that for hours without complaining, too. In fact this is my favorite sound then. :D

i guess theres a reason two of the best guitar amps in history, the plexi and the marki, were both based on fenders!

I have to disagree with the "new marshall" being crap. The TSL is quite a toneful amp. Really nice clean, great crunch, and wailing lead. I loaded my son's with GT6CA7GE's and GT12AX7M's, and it sounds excellent. I have a Mark III with 2 Thiele/EV cabs, in hardwoon and wicker. I still like the JTM 45 and the 1987X sitting on a basketweave greenback loaded cab. I love the howl of a "plexi", and thinks the marshall class A amps have huge harmonic content. Don't get me wrong, I love my Mark III, and can get just about any tone, and cut well, it's always jaw-dropping, but a marshall has alot of mojo, and the simple "turn it up" value is really appealing to me.
Any non- master marshall amp is surely a tone beast, and although they're only a 1 or 2 trick amp, they do their tricks VERY well, reguardless of their manufacturing date.....
ax. :twisted:

Latest posts

Back