can you tell me about this DC-5

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ces

Reaction score
hey all, i'm a new member named Ces.

I just bought my first Mesa/Boogie, a DC-5 amp head. I put a new Recto 212 under it.

The serial number is:

DC-0652

anything you can tell me about this amp?

thanks! :)

this new shot is since the shop visit...

MESApostorbit.jpg

DSCF1215.jpg

no love at all...

hello?

i really do appreciate anyones time & effort.

and I give thanks in advance.

Hello
Easy, huge tone pallett and loud as hell for 50w. Don't ever stop tweaking, there are tons of tone options. Keep reading the Board to learn about it. I've had my DC5 for 16-17 years and after finding this forum I learned a whole bunch more about my amp. I have delayed another amp purchase because of what I learned here. Good luck with your new tonebox and thanks to everyone who contributes.

The one thing I learned as a DC owner is to memorize the manual. DC tone controls are VERY sensitive and not always intuitive. They do much more than just eq. Check out the settings database here too. Lots of good info.

billboogie said:
Hello Easy, huge tone pallett and loud as hell for 50w. Don't ever stop tweaking, there are tons of tone options. Keep reading the Board to learn about it. I've had my DC5 for 16-17 years and after finding this forum I learned a whole bunch more about my amp. I have delayed another amp purchase because of what I learned here. Good luck with your new tonebox and thanks to everyone who contributes.

GD_NC said:
The one thing I learned as a DC owner is to memorize the manual. DC tone controls are VERY sensitive and not always intuitive. They do much more than just eq. Check out the settings database here too. Lots of good info.

Thanks, that's some good info...

It's making this weird noise and I think I'll drop it off for service in Petaluma as I live fairly close by...

ces said:
billboogie said:
Hello Easy, huge tone pallett and loud as hell for 50w. Don't ever stop tweaking, there are tons of tone options. Keep reading the Board to learn about it. I've had my DC5 for 16-17 years and after finding this forum I learned a whole bunch more about my amp. I have delayed another amp purchase because of what I learned here. Good luck with your new tonebox and thanks to everyone who contributes.

GD_NC said:

It's making this weird noise and I think I'll drop it off for service in Petaluma as I live fairly close by...

Many weird noises can be traced back to a bad preamp tube. Before spending time and money on a tech you may want to do a little tube swapping to see if that takes care of your problem.

MJ Slaughter said:
Many weird noises can be traced back to a bad preamp tube. Before spending time and money on a tech you may want to do a little tube swapping to see if that takes care of your problem.

Yeah, I was having trouble this week troubleshooting my amp. It had really weak volume which I assumed was bad power tubes as it was both channels and after swapping them out twice with new power tubes and still having the problem I finally decided to try changing the driver tube... bingo!!

Oh well at least I've got some more spares now.

MJ Slaughter said:
ces said:
billboogie said:

GD_NC said:

Yesterday I replaced both power tubes with original stock Mesa STR 420 6L6's. the amp sounded much better.
then we replaced the #2 & 3 pre amp tubes with original stock Mesa 12AX7's, no change at all.
I know i should have changed one preamp tube at a time until i got an improvement but had limited time and resources.
A knowledgeable friend was helping me and after hours of working on it, for free, we called it a day.

There is lots said on the DC5 ...check in the archives. If you have any specific Qs, holler here.

FWIW, I have had many amps come and go over the decades, some were other boogies. The DC5 has remained my #1 go-to live amp and has stayed with me for over a decade. While I may still experiment with amps here and there (currently playing with an Express, for example), this DC5 remains as my keeper amp, it is that good.

Edward

edward said:
There is lots said on the DC5 ...check in the archives. If you have any specific Qs, holler here.

FWIW, I have had many amps come and go over the decades, some were other boogies. The DC5 has remained my #1 go-to live amp and has stayed with me for over a decade. While I may still experiment with amps here and there (currently playing with an Express, for example), this DC5 remains as my keeper amp, it is that good.

Edward

Same with me. Many amps over the years including other Boogies but the DC-10 isn't going anywhere. I plan on buying a Electrodyne when I can afford it but will always have a place for the DC.

Ha ...funny you mention the ElecDyne, MJ. There's one I want to take for a test spin. I'm still enjoying my foray with the 5:25, though. I dig this little amp, and for one who doesn't necessarily like EL84s as a rule, this one's surprising! Who knows, she may earn keeper status one day. That ElecDyne, though, sure does seem real nice on paper...

Regardless of any others, though, my DC5 does so much so well that it has become the benchmark for which I judge other amps. Sounds like hyperbole, but I wouldn't have kept it this long if it weren't true.

Edward

Thanks you guys, that's awesome to know.
its only been a short time but im starting to feel the same way about my dc-5...

check this out:
I recovered my DC-5.

A good & talented friend and myself tackled this project today.
Our first time ever, from beginning to end.
It was from around 4pm-10pm with out any real breaks.
It isn't perfect but it's close! We were very surpised and pleased with it.

1995 Mesa/Boogie Dual Caliber DC-5 Custom in Rave Bordeaux.
It's much darker in person...

BEFORE
MESApostorbit.jpg

DURING
securedownload-3.jpg

securedownload-4.jpg

AFTER
BORDEAUXMESA.jpg

Latest posts

Back