can a mesa half stack keep up with an 8x10 bass cab?

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

barneyc4

Reaction score
just wondering if a 100 watt dual recto roadster + 4x12 traditional can keep up with an 8x10 bass cab pumping 500 watts?

Thats what our new bassist is using and I keep wondering if I will be fine?

My band is about to find out :D

me = Tremoverb with 2x 2x12 Recto cabs

bass = 1200 watt tube head with 8x10 cab

I predict I will still be able to kick his *** :D

Barney-
Your bass player would need two SVTs and two 8x10 cabs to even the playing field with your Roadster and 4x12s. Not to worry.

Woody-
Same with you, your Tremoverb will kick butt. However, I'm not aware of a 1200 watt tube bass amp. Could you get the maker and model number?

http://madisonamps.com/products2008/abraxassheet.htm

Madison is a local Colorado company and they sponsor my band so we get stuff super cheap. I just read the specs and it's actually tube input, solid state output... I'm guessing just a couple preamp tubes or something.

Anyway, I'm not worried :D

I played with a dude who has a tremoverb and 2x12 ext, it was painfully loud! I can only imagine what it would sound like with a half stack. Dual rec's are a beast. Bass players need wattage and cabs to have a full sound. Most 200-400 watt bass amps are ample to cut the mix. But they usually have weak area's like the low's or the high's, hence the high watt rig allows for great low's, slapping high's, etc. but cannot compete with the mid range dominant frequencies of a guitar rig. My bass player is using the Carvin B1500 which is capable of some 900-1200 watts. He just plays it at a mix volume, cause its not a competition as well as I have 100 watts 2 2x12 and just use the 50 watt switch. We're fairly loud, and need a 600 watt per side, 4 speaker cab PA for the vocals to cut.

plan-x said:
I played with a dude who has a tremoverb and 2x12 ext, it was painfully loud! I can only imagine what it would sound like with a half stack. Dual rec's are a beast. Bass players need wattage and cabs to have a full sound. Most 200-400 watt bass amps are ample to cut the mix. But they usually have weak area's like the low's or the high's, hence the high watt rig allows for great low's, slapping high's, etc. but cannot compete with the mid range dominant frequencies of a guitar rig. My bass player is using the Carvin B1500 which is capable of some 900-1200 watts. He just plays it at a mix volume, cause its not a competition as well as I have 100 watts 2 2x12 and just use the 50 watt switch. We're fairly loud, and need a 600 watt per side, 4 speaker cab PA for the vocals to cut.
and drums?! :lol: :shock:

See my signature for what I need to keep up with a Mk III and a Mk IV (both with one Marshall 1960 cab)

for one remember most bass heads are SS (most not all) and from what i remember a 100 watt tube head is roughly equivalent in volume to a 300 watt SS head.... and two, the frequency realm a guitar lies in should always be more present than a bass .... this is not always the case ( i should knwo from my last band).... we had the next victor wooten in our last band and thought he was more of a lead guitarist than the bass player so he was always playing high up on the bass and since he never fully locked into the rhythms he could never hear himself causing him to turn up.... when he turned up of course i turned up to hear myself.... what ended up happening was the worst mix ever in practice and many many noise violations

but to answer your question you will be more than ok

with Bass the Watts don't matter as much because of what sort of frequency's the Amps pushing.. It's might be a 1200 watt head but it's only that to have the most Clean high head room.. it still will be Very loud.. my Bass player has a SVT-3 pro and 2 4x10 and that is pretty loud..hah

I'm in a cover band with a bass player who is addicted to SVT's and 8x10's. I honestly do not understand why anyone in a COVER band needs that much gear. Regardless, this guy is loud. He ruins the mix and we have lost gigs over his atrocious volume levels.

The sound guy we regularly employ has forced me and the bass player to side wash ( i.e put the amp on the side of the stage and aim the amps at each other as opposed to at the audience). This is great for the mix but my head absolutely aches at the end of the night. I use a DR with a 2x12 and I can get plenty of volume but that isn't the point. The point is that if I turn up, then he turns up and so on and so fourth and then the whole band sounds awful.

Can a 2x12 with a DR keep up with an SVT and an 8x10 ? Yes. No doubt about it. Just keep in mind that you might make your band sound like *** in the process.

i think the true lesson here is relearning the art of creating a good mix..... my experience playing with people (especially the talented oens) is egos get in the way of creating a mix that enhances the music...... especially my last bass player who thought he was a guitarist.... awesome guy, lots of talent (i'd say could stand his own with the likes of victor wooten and les claypool) but was a pain in the *** when it came to getting a good mix, even recording which was the worst.... people who can't hear themselves (which usually causes them to turn up) half the time dont realize its not the equipment but its where their standing or what they're playing relative to the song.... for those people i say invest in an ear monitor they work wonders

Latest posts

Back