Calling All Recto Cab users!

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ibanez4life SZ!

Reaction score
Well, I justed pickup up a Mesa Oversized 4x12 for my dual recto off of ebay!

Just curious of what you guys have to say about your recto cabs! Pros? Cons? Etc.

Just chime in if you have the time :D

As always, thanks!

Great cabs, I like them with the stock V30 speakers. They handle a ton of power and have huge low end resonance. Just a bit of advice, if you are using a recto amp, don't be afraid to turn the bass control DOWN to keep your tone articulate and prevent muddiness (kinda like turning the gain down as you increase volume:)

Have fun with the cab :)

Well you pretty much know my opinion of them. I loved that cab! Was a great compliment to my DC-10. The low end is great, Just watch your low end, as stated you can probably back off on the low end a little on the amp.
Let me know what you think if the casters.
The only con is the weight. It's a heavy cab.
Congrats on the purchase! I think you'll be pleased.

Sounds good....my only complaint....I'll have to take the casters off to fit it in my car...it's too big :lol:

But worth it 8)

I love mine. Great cab, sounds sooo awesome. Just bought a roadcase for it not too long ago. Looks very professional, and sounds even better than it looks. Heavy suckers though, but you get what you pay for. Even in the wood haha.

-AJH

Exactly why I bought it....in all honesty, I started questioning the quality of the avatar after how small and lightweight it is.....it can't be up to par.

ibanez4life SZ! said:
Sounds good....my only complaint....I'll have to take the casters off to fit it in my car...it's too big :lol:

But worth it 8)

Buy a truck :lol: :lol: :lol: i did,,, now i got to take all the bands crap :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:

I like it--its a darker cab by design which allows you to turn up some of the mid and high frequencies in order to have clarity and edge but still seems to stay balanced by not sucking out the bottom end. I will agree with the above posts about taking out some of the bass in your current setting to accomodate the bottom end in the cabinet. Im finding that the less bass that I add on the preamp, the tighter the response--where I was having some issues keeping things tight before, I ended up finding my resolution by turning the bass from 2 oclock to about 10:30-10:45 and placing my mids about 8:45 to accomodate the lower bottom end--everything is so tight now and responsive! Also another thing that I like to do with this cab is to peg the presence all the way up to give you a nice string feel and then back off the mids and treble to dial-out the nasties :wink:

In all honesty, I think they're too bassy and very heavy. I bought a Marshall 1960AV and it sounded better than the Mesa cab. It's lighter too. But that's my opinion. Congrats on the good deal!

+Mike+

Guitarzan said:
I'll admit that I traded mine for a Genz Benz G-Flex 4x12. I'm much happier and it matches my2x12.

Guitarzan--why do you like the G-Flex? Ive never played one but Ive read a little on them. What charactoristics would cause you to want to trade the Recto cab for a G-Flex? Tonal differences? What do they cost? :?:

They have a broader range, better dynamics and I've yet to fart out one of these cabs with the bass on the recto maxed out. They also have eminence 75W speakers which are more to my liking. Believe me these things throw air.

Guitarzan said:
They have a broader range, better dynamics and I've yet to fart out one of these cabs with the bass on the recto maxed out. They also have eminence 75W speakers which are more to my liking. Believe me these things throw air.

How tight sounding would you say they in comparison to the oversized recto cabs are and what do they cost? :?:

The bottom end is much more defined with farther reaching projection, the porting makes all the difference. They are going for around $900. The 2X12's are going for ~$500. Now the 2X12 is another story...That little monster sounds like a Marshall 4X12 with 75W speakers, very cool cab.

Guitarzan said:
The bottom end is much more defined with farther reaching projection, the porting makes all the difference. They are going for around $900. The 2X12's are going for ~$500. Now the 2X12 is another story...That little monster sounds like a Marshall 4X12 with 75W speakers, very cool cab.

My former guitar teacher has a Genz Benz endorsment and had an El Diablo and GFlex 2x12 setup in his studio.

The cab is definitely designed for more modern tones, IMO.

Melodyman said:
Guitarzan said:

My former guitar teacher has a Genz Benz endorsment and had an El Diablo and GFlex 2x12 setup in his studio.

You Bet 'Cha!

Guitarzan said:
Melodyman said:
Guitarzan said:

You Bet 'Cha!

Cool--thanks for the info!--I think Id like to play one if I could but I dont believe anyone around here sells them-- Do you know of anyone big playing them that I could examine their tone on thier cd or something?

According to the Genz Benz website these are two places you can go to...

DIETZE MUSIC HOUSE
13015 W CENTER RD STE A-1B
OMAHA, NE 68144-3736
Phone: 402-333-1535 Fax: 402-333-5112

SCHMITT MUSIC
7355 DODGE ST
OMAHA, NE 68114
Phone: 402-391-5588

Latest posts

Back