Calling All Recto Cab users!

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Kung-Fool I was looking at getting a Traditional cab. What are the things you really enjoy about it? What are things you dislike about the oversized? Thanks.

I've noticed that even though my Roadking 4x12 is the same dimensions as the standard oversized it sounds tighter.

I think it may have something to do with the divider that splits the cab into 2 smaller airspaces...and maybe that partial open back.

I'm sealing up the the Roadking 4x12 with a full size back board in a few weeks as an experiment....and maybe re-configuring the V30s/C90s in an X pattern....

Thanks for all the input guys!

I originally had my hearty set on a traditional, but when this deal came up, and I had a guy willing to pay GREAT money for my avatar, I couldn't pass it up! I can definitely work on the tightness factor, and there is definitely going to be a quality improvment from Avatar to Mesa! :twisted:

Melodyman said:
I'm sealing up the the Roadking 4x12 with a full size back board in a few weeks as an experiment....and maybe re-configuring the V30s/C90s in an X pattern....

I had exactly that, except it was a standard (not RK) cab. The V30's just ruined the sound of the cab: there was nothing I could do to get rid of the harsh top end, unless I rolled back the presence to the point of turning my sound into mud. My cab now has four C90s, and I'm loving life.

I still miss my two Mesa 2x12 cabs, one with C90's and one with V30's. In separate cabs, the speakers blend well together--they just didn't work well sharing the same air space. We open for a lot of the national acts that come through my town, so I never get more than one mic.

MetalMatt said:
Kung-Fool I was looking at getting a Traditional cab. What are the things you really enjoy about it? What are things you dislike about the oversized? Thanks.

It's tighter, more focused, and punches harder. The standard is a little too boomy and the highs don't seem as smooth.

Yeah, get a truck man.... Or convince your drummer to. That way you can be sure that your rig gets to the gig without having to dismantle anything.

I have had a truck for most of my driving years and I must say that loading a full stack is much easier done in the back of a truck than into some little hatchback though I have seen 4x12s go into the trunks of some cars like older Cadillacs. My only problem is getting anything into the back of my truck. With 7 inches of suspension lift and 3 inches of body lift while sitting on 35" tires, it makes things a little brutal to try to lift into the back anymore. I have found that I can put a 4x12 into my back seat though and have it ride belted in with the front seat reclined slightly to help hold it back. I actually prefer a single 4x12 that way instead of on its back under my tonneau. The funny things is that you can get some passive movement and create resonance further helping your sound inside the cab of the truck. I think it also removes some air volume thus tightening up the sounds a little too.

pmb said:
This might be a little offtopic
But how do you guys think boogie cabinets compare to bogner cabinets.

They're on par with the Mesa Traditional cabs. I believe Bogner uses a much different speaker.

Guitarzan said:
According to the Genz Benz website these are two places you can go to...

DIETZE MUSIC HOUSE
13015 W CENTER RD STE A-1B
OMAHA, NE 68144-3736
Phone: 402-333-1535 Fax: 402-333-5112

SCHMITT MUSIC
7355 DODGE ST
OMAHA, NE 68114
Phone: 402-391-5588

Crazy!! I didnt know that! Thanks for the info man!

pmb said:
This might be a little offtopic
But how do you guys think boogie cabinets compare to bogner cabinets.

The bogner Uber-Cabs feature 2 V30's And 2 GT75's for bottom end and clarity. :wink:

I know, but the normal Bogner cabs also use four V30's so the difference between these cabinets and mesa cabinets would only be caused by the construction of the cabinet. Can anyone explain me the differences soundwise please??
That because I am thinking about changing my 5150-cabinet I use with
my mesa mark III blue stripe.
The possibilities are mesacab and bognercab, or else I would just change speakers in the 5150-cabinet. What do you think is the best solution.
I pretty much like the sound of my 5150-cabinet but I think the speakers aren't superhigh quality

Back