CALIBER 50 +

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

user 7737

Reaction score
hi everyone...

i just want to know if there's some caliber 50 + owner 'round here...

what about your settings, tubes, cab (i got the head version), etc... ?

thanx

i'm one amongst many. don't tell anyone how good it sounds, you'll only drive the price up :wink: depending on what i am trying to play (style) i generally start with the suggested settings from the manual, then tweak - like if i am playing a strat i might boost the bass/mid slightly and drop the treble.

the manual is available on the mesa website under the discontinued items as a PDF file.

I've got a .50+ head that I'm waiting to receive back from Mesa. I sent it to get checked up on and have a new cab built because the other was just shot. I sold it to a friend for real cheap because I thought it sounded like crap compared to when I first got it. Well, it turned out to be my guitar that sounded like crap. I bought the amp back and am awaiting it's return. They're on the the best that Mesa has ever built. I think their lead channel can probably beat any other (including the Marks)! I usually set the Treble to about 9, I keep the bass at about 3 because after that it will get kinda muddy sounding. Keep the mids about 5-6 and I pretty much use the "V" shape on the GEQ but with a little bit of variation. Hope that helps and enjoy!!!!!

god **** i enjoy...

your settings seem to be "modern"... now i'm using the manual settings... rock... sometimes i'm trying others...

everyone talk about it lead, but common' the clean is awesome as well !... the only bad thing is how to have a great lead AND a great clean :?

anyway... what about the cab ? now i'm using a laney 4x12... i think i want to bye a new one... i got an occasion to bye a rocktron cab taboo 2x12... it's hard to have informations about this cab... do you know it ?

I have one. It's a great amp. I was going to start a thread similar to this, but you beat me. I'm running it like one of the guys above, start with the suggested settings and then work from there.

What cabs are people running theirs through? I'm running mine through a 4x12 with V30's in there... it's got a big mid spike. After the holiday period is over... I'm going to get a couple of G12T75's and run them alongside the V30's in an X pattern. Apparently it should give me a fuller sound.

metalblitz84 said:
I've got a .50+ head that I'm waiting to receive back from Mesa. I sent it to get checked up on and have a new cab built because the other was just shot. I sold it to a friend for real cheap because I thought it sounded like crap compared to when I first got it. Well, it turned out to be my guitar that sounded like crap. I bought the amp back and am awaiting it's return. They're on the the best that Mesa has ever built. I think their lead channel can probably beat any other (including the Marks)! I usually set the Treble to about 9, I keep the bass at about 3 because after that it will get kinda muddy sounding. Keep the mids about 5-6 and I pretty much use the "V" shape on the GEQ but with a little bit of variation. Hope that helps and enjoy!!!!!

Can you PM me how much it generally costs to have something "checked up on". I wanted to maybe send in my amp head.

First, I had the cab rebuilt and that was about $279. The shipping was about $72 to get there. I had the power cord, fuse, and all the front switches and knobs replaced. I also asked them to look over everything and make sure it
was as brand new as the day it left the factory. I haven't gotten the price (they'll call me when they're done finishing the cab which they said would be within the next couple of days. Then they'll give me the price including the cost to ship it back. Once I get that, I'll post it here for everyone to see.

does anyone here use a no mesa cab ?

what do you think about laney (H/H load) ?

i already tried my caliber with a 1960 marshall... it sounded good... but impossible to compare with my laney :?

i already talked about this on another thread, but i really have to have some advices about tubes... advices from some caliber users... my sound begin to break up with volume/gain at 4/5 and master at 4... it piss me off... i really need a good clean... my tubes are :

V1 12ax7 EH
V2 JJ 12ax7
V3 12ax7 EH
V4 12at7 EH
V5 JJ 12ax7

i got 3 12ax7 mesa used but they're still good i think...

what can i do to have a good clean ?... without NOS if it's possible...

i really need help...

You want to try and get a tube that is gain tested my good man.

Watford Valves in England have a drive tested range. If you get one of the lower drive tubes, slam it in V2... this should help your breaking up issue.

I have a higher rated tube in V1 and it works well. I play with my gain at 3-4 and my master at about 4-5 and I have a nice clean sound.(I did have similar issues as you until recently)

You want to try and get a tube that is gain tested my good man.

do you mean that 2 same tube (2* 12ax7 EH) could have a different gain ?

so i have to put higher gain in V1 and lower gain in V2 ?

thanx for the watford link...

Yeah for sure... that's why some tubes offer higher gain than others ;)

No bother. The Harma range are Gain tested... that's what I have in my preamp stage :)

FWIW, here are my typical settings. I love metal tone, so I really do not use the clean channel, unless I'm using the the fuzz unit sitting on my amp head. One must remember the speaker combo I'm using in the cab (see signature below) is rather dark, and totally UN-Celestion, so the middle slider on the EQ is higher up than most might consider.

100_0434-1.jpg

meursault, for better cleans...have you tried a lower-gain 12AT7 in any of the other preamp locations, other than the V4 reverb?

Here are my current choices:

V1 Tung Sol 12ax7a
V2 EH 12ax7a
V3 EH 12ax7a
V4 EH 12at7
V5 Tung Sol 12ax7a (with a balanced triodes)

I don't know exactly which JJ preamp tube you are using, but I find the JJ ECC83-S preamp tubes have a tone more concentrated in the middle, and less clear sounding than either the EH or Tung Sol. I don't like the ECC83-S in my particular amp.

I find with my .50 caliber +, the V5, Phase Inverter section is quite sensitive to different tube types!

Let us know more about your experinces, and thoughts. :)

meursault, for better cleans...have you tried a lower-gain 12AT7 in any of the other preamp locations, other than the V4 reverb?

i tried a 12ay7 EH... it was awfull... the high frequencies was a total mess... i'll try the 12at7 EH... who knows... untill now the best "clean"settings is JJ (ECC83S-tested) in V1 and V5 and original mesa (chinese one) in V2 V3...

i will try other settings next week-end...

does anyone know what tube is similar to the mesa chinese one ?

the tung sol are high gain i think ! isn't ?

I am also a new .50 caliber + owner and i am fighting a high end sizzle that I can't seem to get rid of. I tried a 12au7 but I think it's too low gain. I have tad power tubes and tried some jj's which sounded worse. I have a jj 12ax7 a mesa boogie 12ax7 and I think the other 2 are eh.I can't get a smooth sound in the lead mode I think it has to be tubes.

The Mesa Chinese preamps are relabeled Ruby's from what I gather, but I have no experience with them.

The Tung Sol's are on the hotter end of the spectrum, but they are more hi-fi sounding than the JJ's. The Tung Sols stay clearer. I also find they are less harsh sounding in the treble range than the EH. I tried enough tubes (all Tung Sol's...all EH's...) and lots of combinations with a single JJ.

Various tube dealers will usually charge a few dollars more per tube to test each one individually. Often you can specify a lower gain tube from a batch. The seller can give you more detail.

lpstudio said:
I am also a new .50 caliber + owner and i am fighting a high end sizzle that I can't seem to get rid of. I tried a 12au7 but I think it's too low gain. I have tad power tubes and tried some jj's which sounded worse. I have a jj 12ax7 a mesa boogie 12ax7 and I think the other 2 are eh.I can't get a smooth sound in the lead mode I think it has to be tubes.

EVM-12L speakers quench fizziness, for sure! :)

Someone has mentioned on the forum that the only lead channel uses V1, and that the rythm channel starts at V2. Sounds reasonable, but I cannot confirm this. :?

Back