CALIBER 50 +

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
MrMarkIII said:
"...Of course, your Marshall cab is probably 16 ohms, correct?
So, your total load would be...???
(Please show your math...LOL)

lol! :D Made my head spin, but thanks!

Yes you are correct sir! It's a 16 (4) ohm cab, and I run it from the 4 ohm out from the .50 Cal combo.

I pretty much knew the math was on, but was concerned about folks a bit up on the thread saying you ought not to run multiple outs. It's working for me...might cut it down to a head at some point. I know I wouldn't like the G12T-75s on their own though. The EVM gives it a lot of body when mixed in. I'd do some X pattern with maybe V30s if I cut it to a head.

i already left a post on another thread on this forum... but, i have to say something here

i just buy a new cab : marshall 1960bv loaded with v30 and eminence wizard in x pattern

i'm discovering my amp again... got to change all my settings... now i know why people said this amp is too loud... the sound is more clear, more precision, this is amazing... the problem between lead and clean is no more that disturbing... i can use my lead now :)

what else ? i won a loooot of headroom... i had some "crunch" problem before, in fact it was my cab clipping

i read somewhere here that the cal50+ begin to "breathe" with master at 4... well... i have to say that with volume(gain) at 4 and master at 2 the volume is quite loud, the sound is awesome and i cut easily trough the mix...

at least i think now i know what mesa is all about ! 8)

meursault said:
i already left a post on another thread on this forum... but, i have to say something here

i just buy a new cab : marshall 1960bv loaded with v30 and eminence wizard in x pattern

i'm discovering my amp again... got to change all my settings... now i know why people said this amp is too loud... the sound is more clear, more precision, this is amazing... the problem between lead and clean is no more that disturbing... i can use my lead now :)

what else ? i won a loooot of headroom... i had some "crunch" problem before, in fact it was my cab clipping

i read somewhere here that the cal50+ begin to "breathe" with master at 4... well... i have to say that with volume(gain) at 4 and master at 2 the volume is quite loud, the sound is awesome and i cut easily trough the mix...

at least i think now i know what mesa is all about ! 8)

A good cab can make all the difference with any amp.

Those eminence wizards are one of the loudest speakers on the market... which is probably why you're getting alot more headroom.

I've only had my .50 cal + for a few days now actually, but i'm really digging it so far. I've been playing with the master around 6 and lead master around 5, and it sounds so sweet up loud... really smooths out at around 4 and just gets better and better the higher it goes.

rgx612a said:
I've only had my .50 cal + for a few days now actually, but i'm really digging it so far. I've been playing with the master around 5 and lead master around 6, and it sounds so sweet up loud... really smooths out at around 4 and just gets better and better the higher it goes.

what about the volume (gain) ?

meursault said:
rgx612a said:
I've only had my .50 cal + for a few days now actually, but i'm really digging it so far. I've been playing with the master around 5 and lead master around 6, and it sounds so sweet up loud... really smooths out at around 4 and just gets better and better the higher it goes.

what about the volume (gain) ?

The gain is around 7. I don't use the clean/rhythm channel very much at all though, and with those setting the clean isn't very clean.

wow... this is really loud... if i try those settings my band mates will throw beer can at me :lol:

meursault said:
wow... this is really loud... if i try those settings my band mates will throw beer can at me :lol:

I like it loud.

Honestly, i've played alot louder amps. The .50 + is average in volume for a 50 watter IMO. Definitely loud enough though.

meursault said:
well... this is my first full tube...

do you play in a band ?

Don't get me wrong, it's loud, and definitely loud enough for gigging with. But it's not one of the loudest amps i've played.

My last band broke up about 2 years ago. This Mesa makes me wish i had a band though, love its tone.

great to see so much caliber owner ! this amp seem to be the "forgoten" one... you know ? the "black sheep" of the family ! :)

well... we already talked about preamp tubes... many opinions many possibilities... many tastes

what about power tubes ? i read on this thread that someone using ruby 6L6GC... like me...

any other experience ? (general tone, headroom, etc...)

stupid question...

gain at 10... does it hurt the amp ? specially the cal 50+ or any tube amp ?

no, you can use it, your tubes will wear much faster but actually the only thing that will be ruined with the gain on 10 is your tone :wink:

Latest posts

Back