Cabs & power capacity for Mark IIA

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

krcassid

Reaction score
I am messing around with different speakers/ cabs for my Mark 2A. It's got an EVM-12-L in it and that sounds good for clean. But, 2 x 12 w/ V30s sound good for dirt. My question is:

I'd rather use the (2) 1 x 12s (V30s) that I use with my 20/20s and preamps and get rid of the 2 x 12s. However, what is the power handling capacity of (2) 1 x 12s in parallel? The 2 x 12s can handle the Mark but each 1 X 12 is only rated to 60. If you put 2 in parallel, what can they (safely) handle?

Thx!

I think you need to worry more about matching ohmage than wattage. I think if you have a 2x12 with two 8ohm speakers in parallel the total is 8 ohms. If you use two 1x12 (8 ohm each) cabs, plugged into the 4 ohm taps, they each will run at 4 ohms, which is a match. Mike B. told me this a couple weeks ago when he asked which cabs i was running with my mark. If they are each 16 ohms going into the 4 ohm taps, you will have 8 ohms total each tap, but still ok

for me, I run a thiele 1x12 with a V 30 and a compact open back with a MC 90 and they are great together, IMO.

scott

For the Mark II, I run would run them in parallel as I mentioned above. (2) 8 ohm 1 x 12 cabs running parallel (out of 1st cab into 2nd--they are standard recto cabs) is 4 ohms. I plug them into the 4 ohm output.

I have 2 Thieles w/ EVMs in them. But, they are too clean for certain things (and Mark II already has an EVM in it). I've A/Bd the 2 X 12 recto against the Thiele and the 2 x 12 rocks on the dirty stuff. The (2) 1 x 12s are close to the 2 x 12 in sound. I tried a MC90 and the 30s sound better. My problem is that I have limited room. I've got a dozen speaker cabs and almost that many combos. The 1 x 12s work perfectly in my W/ D/ W rack setup with Recto, Studio and Triaxis preamps and 20/20s. If I can use them with the Mark 2, I can get rid of the 2 2 X 12s, which are big and heavy.

So, question remains: what is power handling capacity of 2 1 x 12 recto cabs w/ V30s with 2 cabs in parallel? I've seen conflicting info. Some people say "add the 2 cabs speakers together"(120). Others say: "it's the same as 1 cab (60w). If 2 60w cabs in parallel = 60, I can't use them w/ the Mark. If it's 120, I'm good.

Thx!

i'm pretty sure wattage in series OR parallel is ADDITIVE. So any way you slice it, you should be looking at 120 watts. check this out:

http://www.electricianmath.com/seriesparallel/wattage_series.htm

Also, others please correct me but I think it would be difficult to blow a V 30 with a mark... If you just had the one speaker

scott

One V30 can handle 60W (you may blow the speaker if you crank an 85W Mark Mark)
Two V30's can handle 60W each (so you will be safe using an amp that puts out up to 120W)

In other words, using two V30's will be safer than using just one, because to output power of the amp will be split between each speaker (i.e. if the amp is putting out 100W, then each speaker will see 50W).

Just make sure you use the correct/appropriate output jacks on the amp (i.e. if you are using two 8ohm speakers, each speaker should plug into one of the 4ohm jacks in the amp)

Back