cables

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Elpelotero

Reaction score
what kind of cable do i need to plug a head into a 4x12. speaker cable? or regular instrument cable? also what brands do you recommend and why?
thanks.

Speaker cable, end of story.

I like Planet Waves as far as instrument cables go. I don't currently use a speaker cable, so I can only comment based on their other products. They have an extremely durable molded end, gold-plated compression jacks, and a fairly large-girthed cable.

Monster cables are good too... But any good quality speaker cable will be fine. I got a $12 two foot cable at my local music store that is twice as fat as a signal cable and it seems to work just fine. If you do mess up and grab a signal cable instead, it probably wont hurt anything, but it will de-grade your sound just a bit and maybe cause some added noise.

My Drummers son has a Marshall JCM2000 head (yuck :? ) and a Marshall 1960 cab and has ran it with a guitar cable for 2 years until I gave him a speaker cable a few weeks ago. It didn't hurt the amp, and I can't really tell much difference. But always use a speaker cable.

I found an interesting occurence when I upgraded to Monster speaker cables (Performer 500) last week. Not only is there a difference in sound quality between cables, but I found that cables of different manufacturers don't always play well with others.

In my example, I use a HotPlate attenuator between the amp and a 412 cab. I plugged a Monster into the cab, but left the no-name original cable plugged between the amp and HotPlate. Not only was there no imporovement in sound, but also the highs were drastically exaggerated. It didn't even sound as good as it did before! When I put another Monster between the amp and HotPlate, everything sounded great. The sound was improved dramatically, with more volume and a rich, more complex, just overall more pleasant sound coming from th 412.

Could it be that the Monster was just revealing how bad the old cable really was? Possibly. I held off on buying Monster for a long time, because I didn't think the price justified all the hype, and vice versa. Well, hearing is believing. I won't say Monster is the best, I'll just say they're better than others out there.

cvansickle said:
Could it be that the Monster was just revealing how bad the old cable really was? Possibly. I held off on buying Monster for a long time, because I didn't think the price justified all the hype, and vice versa. Well, hearing is believing. I won't say Monster is the best, I'll just say they're better than others out there.

Could it be that the Monster is colouring your sound and you just like it that way?

In my opinion, Monster cable is the only way to go! It's been about 5 years or so now that I have been using them, and I wouldn't trade them for the world.

Tonight, I made some mods to my rig. I added a couple devices to my rack that used to sit outside the rack, and doing so requires that I now use 10' cables to connect my two amp inputs to the midi amp switcher instead of the 3' cables I was using.

There's a 20' Whirlwind Leader Elite cable from my guitar to the pedalboard, where I plug into a VHT Valvulator (buffer). There's maybe 5' of pedals and George L's cables in the chain, and another 20' Leader to the midi amp switcher. Each of the two amp input cables from there are also Whirlwind Leaders. These are the 10' cables I mentioned earlier. So, there is roughly 55' of cable leading up to each amp input where it used to be 48' until today. And it was always Whirlwind Leader cable.

As I said in the earlier post, last week I switched all the speaker cables to Monster Performer 500. Even with the extra length of instrument cable used now, there is still a seriously noticeable improvement in the sound coming from my speakers.

MONSTER all the way man, i use a monster speaker cable for my dual rec 3 channel and it sounds a lot cleaner and clearer than a regular speaker cable, plus it tightens up your low end and gives you a little more thump

Firstly, never use line-level cables as speaker cables. They are not designed the same nor are they rated for the same amps or impedence. They will likely hurt something in your rig.

Line cables expect high impedence & low amps
Speaker cables expect low impedence & high amps

We all know that you aren't supposed to run your head without a cab and that's exactly what could result if you use line-cables vs. speaker cables.

Sure, many have done it and will do it again and nothing will be wrong. But lets be honest, we spend $1,000+ on amps but won't spent an extra $30 to have the right cable?

Now, cables don't buy cables based on price. More expensive does not always mean better, but it usually does.

Things to consider for the cable: soldered connection, insultation, connector. Something to consider is the warranty on the cables. For example, Guitar Center offers a lifetime warranty on Mogami and LiveWire. Just walk in and get a replacement.

Do your research on these and you'll note 2 things about these: 1. they have solid installation, 2. they are fully soldered to their connector not just a point or 2 which is what most cables are.

One thing I've learned is that if you offer a lifetime warranty for a replacement on something that is easily damaged, you are making a good product.

I've been in the studio a few times and have never seen Monster cables. However, I think their newer Pro line will likely be in there. Each studio I've been in has used Mogami. Additionally, for gigging, I was the only member of my last band using LiveWire and Mogami and I was the only one who never had a cable problem.

Take that for what it's worth because I also take better care of my stuff.

The thing is you want quality and warranty with cables and you can get that if you buy the right ones.

I agree I have never seen a monster cable in a studio ever. I don't want to start an argument, but Monster cables are the fast food of the cable world. I don't think they even make cables, I have heard from a manufacturers rep that they are OEM made....basically they are picked out of a catologue and monster tells the manufacturer to put this jacket on them or a gold plug. By all means that does not me a lot if you like the color of tone they reproduce...Take in mind a good cable should do nothing to your tone ie...more bass, treble, etc....They should sound how your playing, rig and pickups sound. My personal favorites are Mogami or Quantum Quest...but everybody likes thier coffee different and try different things if you can. Listening is the key! Your ears will tell you if a cable is "your cable" or not. Just don't buy RAPCO........I'm just kidding I used to use their ROAD Hogs on the road ironically enough...they can be beat to death and still keep on going...Literally I slammed one plug in the van door, it bent a little and it still works to this day?

cheers.

That isn't true. Monster cable is custom made for them by a company called Industrial wire and cable. in chicago. I know this because my old employer was very good friends with the owner of industrial wire and cable, and he used to get my all my monster stuff for free. He told me that monster sends him the specs and they produce the cable.
I don't think Monster is the fast food of cable. I was sceptical at first but I tried them, and there was a noticable difference. They are very well bult cables, and they have a replacement warranty. It's just my opinion, but I think they are one of the best. My former job was for a lighting and sound company. And yes there are great cables out there such as some of the better studio grade cables that you see used in pro studios and larger live entertainment companies. But I really do think Monster is A great contender. I use Monster Bass, and Rock Cables for my instrument cables. and a monster performer 500 for my speaker cable. I hear a huge difference, and they are very quiet cables even in long lengths.
Ok there's my 2 cents. sorry for the bad typing. I am very hungover!!!

I just want to say that you get what you pay for......
I spent some years "saving money" by buying cheaper stuff when I thought it wouldn't matter much.. Problem was, I wasn't saving enough, and replaced alot. Also, and more importantly, my tone suffered....
I lost alot of highs when using shitty cables, even the jump cables between my stomp boxes...
Well, I'm older and wiser now, and buy only premium quality gear.
Shitty gear=shitty tone.
ax. :twisted:

Latest posts

Back