Cables, Cables & Cables

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Reaction score
Looking to see what everyone likes for Cables for their Mark series amps...

I've been using basic cables all around and have been thinking of replacing them all. Are there specific cables that stand out to be superior to the others?

I don't like the George L's cause they aren't soldered, and I'm not into making them myself, I definitely want store bought ones?

Are Monster Cables all hype?

I need the following cables:

- FX Loop
- Guitar into Amp
- Amp into Cab

Where would you invest your money first, in just your cable that plugs your guitar into the amp, or the amp/cab cable, FX loop, does it matter, should they all be high end?

Thoughts?

I use an Evidence Audio Lyric HG for the instrument cable and a Van Den Hul Inspiration Hybrid for the cabinet cable. Definitely the best cables I've ever used.

Go to http://www.lavacable.com for more information.

Van Damme is the best affordable cable I've used out front. I used to dig Planet Waves, but they only sound decent over short (less than 3m) distances, whereas the Van Damme sounds great over any length.

One of my cabs is wired up with Evidence cable, to be perfectly honest I can't tell all that much of a difference, but that cab is mostly used at home volumes so take that as you will.

I've just ordered a few double-ended jacks to replace all my patch cables - I'm convinced there's tone-suck going on even with high quality, short cables, so I'll see how that goes. (I use Planet Waves patch cables at the moment).

Thanks for the replies...

Anyone have any advise on whether your guitar cable and the fx cables both need to be high end or just one over the other?

Anyone have any experience with Monster Cables with their gear?

I don't mind paying for high end cables but I'd like the difference to be noticeable.

Guitar Player magazine did a piece on cables last year, they listed cables in different $$$ category's and tested them with feedback from the testers. It was an informative article. You may be able to check their site and see if it is achieved. It is worth the read.

I like Planet Waves ( with circuit breaker ) from amp to axe. I made my own effects cables with parts from parts express. I also have Monster cables as well and some generic ones. There is a big difference in tone from each cable. I enjoy the P/W cable the most.

I use monster patch cables and a monster cable from pedal board to amp.

I also use planet waves, be honest I don't think I can tell the difference.. And if I could sure u could eq it out.

Had a pete Cornish guitar cable 20' for Xmas, it does seem to give you a slightly different sound ie. Seemed more top end but again it doesn't change the world and live it's all lost anyhow! (**** drummer :D )

For the money planet waves do the job

Back