cable suggestions

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I personally really like the Planet Waves Circuit Breaker line. Good balance between cost/quality/durability.

Of course if you want to spend $100 on a good 20ft. cable Mogami, Monster Cable and Lava are great choices.

A third option is getting a roll of good quality bulk cable and making your own. Very easy to do.

I like the Planet Waves ones that are gold plated. They seem to come up missing more than any other cable brand I've used, so there must be something good about them. :p

I've never tried the circuit breaker type...just seems like one more thing that can go bad.

I was skeptical at first of the Circuit Breaker line as well, but the jacks are solid metal, and MAN is it nice not popping while plugging in/out on the fly. I have had mine for about 2 years and have not had a problem.

so far i LOVE lava cables...i however use a wireless.....one thing about monster and planet waves is...they have life time warranties but dude i have to take them back and switch them out ALL THE TIME b/c of them breaking and getting fucked up....go with lava or mogami

i'm not up on the current brands.........cause i'm still using my old whirlwinds and rapcos................what i DO know: you can get all the cheap guitars and amps you want......but, don't skimp on the cable!......spend the $$$$$$$!!!!

I SWEAR by my George L patch cables. no unnecessary space taken up, thin cable itself, excellent quality. excellent price. I use 24k gold monster instrument cables to plug my guitar into the board and my board into the amp.

Evidence Audio Forte (guitar to pedalboard)

George L 0.155 (patches)

George L 0.255 (pedalboard to amp, effect send and return to pedalboard)

Guitar GeeK said:
Live Wire's. There cheap, and reliable. There $20, and I had mine for five years and haven't let me down once.

I'd have to second this. They are cheap but sound fine. Don't fall for marketing hype from Monster etc. Monster makes garbage quality with huge markups. They make the only guitar cable I've ever had die within 3 months. All mine cheaper Live Wire's work fine.

The George L's are nice too. I got one thrown in with a guitar I bought at GC. Nice part is that if you get a bad connection you just cut the end off and put the connector back on and it is like new.

for the money, you cannot beat George L's. while i haven't heard what a $200 guitar cable sounds like, i'd be willing to bet that the George L's sound every bit as good. last i knew, they were still eric johnson's cable of choice. not a bad endorsement. two things i DON'T like about them:

1) very stiff cable that wants to keep curling up due to the fact that it's life begins on a large spool. eventually it does give though.

2) not a fan of the solderless connections. solution: i purchased a bunch of high end Neutrik plugs and soldered all of mine. use whatever plug you like.

i remember the day i switched all of my patch and guitar cables over to these. it was like a sonic veil being lifted off of my guitar sound. money well spent. should have done it years ago!

[quote[/quote]

I'd have to second this. They are cheap but sound fine. Don't fall for marketing hype from Monster etc. Monster makes garbage quality with huge markups. They make the only guitar cable I've ever had die within 3 months.
[/quote]

Monster is my cable of choice. Didin't believe cable could make a difference but I tried one out in a store and have been using them since '97. I'll admit that since then I've had a few go out but with lifetime warranty and in-store swap it was no big deal.

Martin

thinskin57 said:
for the money, you cannot beat George L's. while i haven't heard what a $200 guitar cable sounds like, i'd be willing to bet that the George L's sound every bit as good. last i knew, they were still eric johnson's cable of choice. not a bad endorsement. two things i DON'T like about them:

1) very stiff cable that wants to keep curling up due to the fact that it's life begins on a large spool. eventually it does give though.

2) not a fan of the solderless connections. solution: i purchased a bunch of high end Neutrik plugs and soldered all of mine. use whatever plug you like.

i remember the day i switched all of my patch and guitar cables over to these. it was like a sonic veil being lifted off of my guitar sound. money well spent. should have done it years ago!

I would disagree. Not that them George Ls are bad, but the more expensive ones sure sound better...

would disagree. Not that them George Ls are bad, but the more expensive ones sure sound better...

what are you using? i have a friend with an Evidence Audio guitar cable and put it head to head w/the George L's. no real difference to our ears. both sounded good. your guitar and pickups probably come into play too. kind of like how some amps do more justice to humbucker guitars than single coil guitars, and vice-versa. to each his tone...

I've been using Horizon cables for a *very* long time. Inexpensive, with soundcraft plugs. lifetime warranty. Great reliability and longevity. I really can't hear any difference with a brand of cable - a conductor is a conductor is a conductor.

ty

thinskin57 said:
would disagree. Not that them George Ls are bad, but the more expensive ones sure sound better...

what are you using? i have a friend with an Evidence Audio guitar cable and put it head to head w/the George L's. no real difference to our ears. both sounded good. your guitar and pickups probably come into play too. kind of like how some amps do more justice to humbucker guitars than single coil guitars, and vice-versa. to each his tone...

I use the Evidence Audio Lyric HG cable, and a George L instrument cable, and I find the EA bigger, fatter, and warmer sounding, whilst having a flatter EQ. Also, the upper midrange on George L isn't as good as the EA when heavily overdriven. Nevertheless, the differences are more subtle than one would think, but I still prefer the Evidence Audio Lyric HG cable. YMMV...

thunda1216 said:
I've been using Horizon cables for a *very* long time. Inexpensive, with soundcraft plugs. lifetime warranty. Great reliability and longevity. I really can't hear any difference with a brand of cable - a conductor is a conductor is a conductor.

ty

I don't agree, there are real differences between cables. I really hear the difference between my Evidence Audio and the other cables I used before. Good cables is an important thing and once you have them it is for life.

I find the EA bigger, fatter, and warmer sounding, whilst having a flatter EQ. Also, the upper midrange on George L isn't as good as the EA when heavily overdriven

cork-sniffer! shut up and play yer guitar! :wink:

I don't see why so many people prefer George L's to Monsters. I like George L cables for the fact that they retain high end, but I gotta say I can't stand how stiff they are physically. They get tangled like no one's business; I leave my cord out, draped over a music stand for whenever I want to play, and I have to uncoil and untwist the thing EVERY time that I play because the cable is so stiff. I'm using one due to people telling me how good they sound, and they do, but the one I have is already starting to go bad on me after about 6 months; whereas my Monsters were going strong after 10 years, I only traded them in because of their age. I like the sonic integrity of George L cables, but I think Monster or Spectraflex kick their butt in terms of ruggedness. And Monster has a lifetime warranty, and they sound just fine.

Latest posts

Back