Cabinet Suggestions

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

chelch

Reaction score
I just picked up a single rectifier and my current cab just aint cutting the mustard. I am currently using a cabinet from my valvestate 100 marshall head. The cab has 4 speakers but they arent 12's. They are only about 11 inches in diamater each. I just feel like the sound coming out of that cab is ''loose'' if that makes any sense.

I play hardcore/metal and I need some suggestions on a cab that would be a good match for my single rec with that style of music. I was lookin at a 4x12 mesa but 1,000 beans for a cab is out of my pricerange. I have heard alot about v30 celestion speakers on the board here but not sure what cabs would have these speakers.

Congrats on the SR!!! Rock on!
As for the cab....
Well, depending on what you can swing, A Recto Std. 2x12 (Horizontal or Verticle) will blow most 4x12's way out of the water and they're roughly 1/2 the price of the recto 4x12(at least the Horizontal one is). I know they aren't quite as inpressive as the bulky 4 12 inch drivers, but man they can pack the same punch, and are probably better suited for the single recto than the full cab. But if not, then look for any cab that has v30's or another good Celestion speaker (prolly not the GT75's though) in it and you should be alright IMO. Randall and Kustom have Celestions in some of their cabs and are not as $$$ as the Mesa. Either way, Good luck on the decision bud.

-AJH

On a budget, and avatar with V30s comes very close the the mesa. Actually on par....except for cosmetics....

I have both the Mesa Rectifier 4x12 cab and the Rectifier 2x12 cab. The 2x12 is plenty big enough sounding and if you put it flat on the floor its as deep, thick, and rich as you could ask for! I play with the 4x12 at practice and live because i get the bassiness of the 2 12's on bottom and the nice highs of the 2 12's on top and it just sounds oh so good. I practice at home with the 2x12.

I bought the 212 for $450 new and it was well worth the money.

On a budget, and avatar with V30s

I've heard nothing but good things from everyone who's ordered an Avatar cab. Call 'em up, discuss your needs/desires, and they'll offer suggestions as to what might best suit you... Super bargain.

Thanks for all the suggestions. The avatar looks like its in my price range. One question I have is with the Avatar amp you can choose what ohm can you want such as 4,8 or 16. I know my single rec only takes 8 or 4. Is a 4 better than an 8 ohm cab and vice versa??

ibanez4life SZ! said:
On a budget, and avatar with V30s comes very close the the mesa. Actually on par....except for cosmetics....

+1 for Avatar, just got mine and broke it in, wonderful. As far as cosmetics go - It looks like the fender cabs, and I like it.

But its all opinions anyways.

Get an 8ohm cab -> then if you ever buy two cabs, you can run them both with the 2 4ohm jacks.

MesaENGR412 said:
. But if not, then look for any cab that has v30's or another good Celestion speaker (prolly not the GT75's though) in it and you should be alright IMO. -AJH

the GT-75s aren't bad IMO, maybe its cuz i've learned to dial in my tone with them. but these teamed up with some vin 30 (either Xpattern ala bogner uberkab style or in seperate cabs in full stack mode) and prepare to get heavy.

is it possible to get an Avatar G212H Special cabinet (2x12") wired for stereo?are there two celestion Vintage30 models (one with an impedance of 8ohms and the other with 16ohms) to choose between???I've read G212H Specials are mono cabinets, with two 16 ohms celestion speakers for a total load of 8 ohms... but if they were wired for stereo i think speakers should be 8 ohms...or not?

The G212H special with vintage 30's comes with 2 - 16 ohm speakers wired in parallel for an 8 ohm load. If you were to wire the cab in stereo(very simple to do with the avatar jackplate) you'd get a 16 ohm load per speaker(stereo).

The only way to get around this and have the cab 8 ohm stereo is to order the G212H Custom, which is only $30 more, and you get your choice of celestion speakers, covering, and grille cloth.

Sorry to sound like an advertisement, sort of peaced that from the product description.

Latest posts

Back