Cab for MarkIV

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sagelakos

Reaction score
Hello everyone and Merry Christmas,
I've heard that one of the best cabs, if not the best cab, for a Mark IV is a 1X12 thiele with an EVM12L in it.
My question is, should I try tracking down one of the MESA one's or look into some alternatives, I've heard some good things about Boogafunk cabs.
I'm only looking into 1x12 cabs, there's no way I'm gonna lug a 4x12, too old for that, and I know the Recto 2x12 sounds really good but it's still a little on the heavy side.

Thanks in advance and all the best.

If you do get a Mesa one cheap, you should line the back, unported side, and top and bottom with some kind of foam or something else to dampen the sound. Boogafunk does it, and if I hadn't known they did I wouldn't have done it in the Thiele I built. There was a small difference in sound when I had foam and when I didn't. It wasn't a huge difference, but it really did make the sound better.

I'd just order a Boogafunk if I were you. If you want to save a teensy bit of cash, you could buy a used EVM 12L so they don't have to charge you $200 for a new one. A used 12L will cost you around 125-150.

+100 for a 1x12 Thiele EVM 12L. I used to run a 1x12 EV Thiele and a 1x12 C90 open Mesa compact cab, with a MKIV when I owned one. Fabulous sound! Despite the fact that I sold the MKIV, I'm still using the same set-up with a DC-10 head with similar results. Well worth the $$ to track one down, although I have heard nothing but good things (across various newsgroups) about Boogafunk cabs.

Matt

I would suggest an alternative to the Thiele-EVM12L cab. I have two Thiele cabs myself which I won't sell but IMO there's a better alternative for the Mark IV. A little over a year ago I bought an Eminence Commonwealth 15" speaker and installed it in a sealed back, front loaded cab from Lopo, and I definatly prefer it over the Thiele cabs. It has a bigger, cleaner, more solid bottom end and much better highs then the EVM's, as well as having more "punch". It also comes in a 12" size, but the 15" is excellent. See the cab here:
http://www.lopoline.com/1x15cabs.html
and the speaker here:
http://www.eminence.com/guitar_speaker_detail.asp?model=COMMONWEALTH15&speaker_size=15&SUB_CAT_ID=4

Back