Cab for Mark IV

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

no.mop

Reaction score
First post, just want to say that I love these boards; I've spent the last two hours browsing on here instead of studying for my upcoming exams :D

Anyway! I have a Mark IV head on the way to me and I'm looking to upgrade my cab from a Peavey 5150 412. I'm hoping to downsize to a 212 because that 412 was much too large to pack around...

I'm looking to get a tight Necrophagist / Lamb of God / Between the Buried and Me type tone and right now, I'm thinking of grabbing the Vader 212. So any comments on the Vader or any other suggestions?

welcome to the board. i'm running my mk iv head through an old ADA horizontal 2x12 w/celestion g12, and it sounds good. a friend of mine is running his mk iv through a recto horizontal 2x12 and it sounds bad ***, so i ended up ordering a vertical recto 2x12. i should be receiving it in a couple of more weeks and i will repost then. i went with the vert because i want to have one of the speakers pointing at me, so i hear it better. btw i'm playing the same type of music, so i have an idea of what sound you are after.

i use a recto 2x12, it sounds deadly..my buddy runs a dual rec into a vader 212 cab..they are killer for death metal, really dark amps, but super tight and they seem pretty true to the tone.

I'm new to these boards but I saw this thread and was thinking about the same thing myself, so I thought I'd chime in.

I have an EarCandy Buzzbomb 2x12 cab that I've used with my Peavey Triple XXX head (before I replaced it with a Mark IV :D ) and it sounds great. This cab is supposed to sound as good as a 4x12 and in the two years I've had it I'm almost convinced; with a Mesa Black Shadow/C90 in it paired with one of the V30s it would probably be that killer.

That said, playing any amp through a 4x12 just isn't the same as anything else simply because you're moving way more air. Lots of guys like myself use 2x12s for portability but you don't hear us complaining about tone for a good reason. At a gig mic'd up, a 2x12 can sound really heavy. I'm going for exactly the same type of sound as you so I hope that helps.

As for Vader, I've heard a few good things about their cabs but you might want to take a look at Ear Candy too.

Fronzil said:
i use a recto 2x12, it sounds deadly..my buddy runs a dual rec into a vader 212 cab..they are killer for death metal, really dark amps, but super tight and they seem pretty true to the tone.

Hey dude I checked out your myspace. Incomming call sounds awesome, I really like the solo/ guitar melody parts, which Mesa boogie is that? Nice tone man!

pie4peace said:
Fronzil said:

Hey dude I checked out your myspace. Incomming call sounds awesome, I really like the solo/ guitar melody parts, which Mesa boogie is that? Nice tone man!

haha that was actually just my line 6 pod..but thanks..i know run a BFR 6 / Jackson KE1 into my mark IV..the tone is much better now haha..glad you dig the songs though, keep checkin back there should be more up soon

tony777 said:
Fronzil said:
haha that was actually just my line 6 pod..but thanks..
I've heard them say that the tone is in your fingers, they might be right :lol:
yeah well I don't hear other tones than metal from boogies mostly so I thought... well the way you record changes a lot :)
I bet with a Mark IV it would even sound better :)
I still like the sound though, but a bit more low-end would make it perfect

grtz

I've had my mk4 hooked up to the recto 4x12 these last few days and man, that is one religuous expirence. I have to say I prefer the v30's to the ev that comes with the combo.

recto 2x12 with v30's and an older mid 90's crate 4x12 with celestion g12m-70's.

surprisingly when played together they balance each other out very well and give me a great
harder rock\metal tone with very nice cleans.

Hey, I've got an Avatar sealed back 2x12 with V30's (8ohm cab) that sounds great with my Mk IV. However, I am using other cabs and would part with it, if you are interested.
Brent

Geiri said:
+1 on the recto 2x12

You can either go with one 2x12 or two 1x12 recto cabs. Hey wait! I have two recto 1x12 cabs for sale!! What's the benefit you ask? Well, you can use the two cabs side by side, stacked, on both sides of the stage, in a stereo rig, take only one when you are lazy or if you are cramped for space, etc. PM me if you are interested in these! :D

Congrats on the Mark IV! They are great amps. Be prepared to spend some time dialing in your tones!

Right now I run my Mark IV thru a Peavey 5150 4x12 cab with Sheffileds. A few times I ran through my buddies crap Kustom 4x12 with Celestions (unsure which ones) and I prefer the sound of the Sheffileds over those Celstions, but sometimes that Celestion mid-bite would be sorta nice. I'd really like to try out a Recto 4x12 just to hear the difference.

Is it THAT big of a difference??!

Difference?
Last night I A/B'd my Avatar 2x12 (V30's) and my Marshall 1966B 2x12 with Cel G12-T75's, running both my MarkIVB and my modded Heartbreaker heads. The V30 has been my standard. However, I found them harsh and a little too biting compared to the G12-T75's, which were a little smoother and rounder for lead tones, while the V30's had a bit of a sizzle that was on the edge of harshness.

I can't speak to the Recto cabs, but something with a little less midrange bite than the V30 should be considered. Last night, I was converted!

One of the tightest most aggressive sounding cabs out there are the Diezel 2x12 front loaded ones! They also make the rear loads for a looser, more vintage vibe.

I just got a Mark IV and my vertical 2x12 recto came yesterday. I also have a Bogner OS 2x12. At first, I thought the Bogner had better low end but I realized it was tucked in the corner of the room and the Mesa was out in the open. I switched places and of course, then the Mesa had all the low end. My Mesa 2x12 has C90s in it and I honestly couldn't detect a significant difference. The Bogner has V30s in it. If I had to pick something out about the 2 cabs it would be that the Mesa seemed a bit more focused where the Bogner was a little more open. But they both sound nice. I also have 2 Port City OS 1x12s but haven't used them with the IV yet. However, with my Axe Ultra one of the Port City cabs sounded as "big" as the Bogner. The PC cabs have Eminence Governors in them which are more like the C90 than the V30.

In any case, I think the Mark IV would sound good with any good quality cabinet/speakers. I love the design of the vertical recto because it has a narrower foot-print but still has internal volume. Plus you get the benefit of the higher "column" design and slant over the horizontal 2x12 that sits low on the floor. So when you're sitting in the room with the cab you hear a truer sampling of your sound because it's not all running across the floor.

Dave

I have played my Mark IV through my Boogie 2x12 3/4 open back cab w/ c90's, my 2x12 closed back supersonic cab w/V30's and my Marshall 1936 2x12 closed back cab and I personally prefer the C90's.

Like Dave said in the post above, any quality cab seems to sound good with a Mark IV!!!!

I was on a mission to buy a quad of Celestion G12K-100's for my 1960a and found they were priced @ $125/ea. In my search I came across a Fender MH412ST that came loaded with these speakers for $380 on ebay, so I scooped it up with the intentions of cannibalizing the speakers. When it arrived, the cab was obviously better built than the Marshall's, so I left them in there. These are great speakers- sort of like an idealized G12T-75, with greater power handling, bigger bass, smoother highs, and rounded mids.

The cab itself is "plated" with ata type plastic along the sides and aluminum trim, so it looks like it was built into its own ATA case. It's about the same size as a Recto straight cab, where it's just monsterous. It's wired at 4 Ohms. It would be interesting to hear the MKIV though this setup.

I just pulled the trigger on a MKIV short combo and can't wait to hear it through this cab. Currently running a Stiletto Deuce II through it, which is up on eBay now. If I don't like it, then I'll definitely part the speakers out and buy a stiletto Slant cab for the MKIV, which I know is amazing. I love how MK series amps sound through V30s.

Latest posts

Back