Cab choice for my MkIV

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jerseydrew

Reaction score
I have a MkIV coming to me next week. I have two choices for speaker cabs. I have both cabs already. I can use either one. Of course I'm going to try BOTH cabs to see which one I like better, but.....

Which cab in your opinion would be better for my MKIV head? A Marshall 1960A 4x12 cab or a Mesa 2x12 Recto cab?

At the moment I have my Goodsell Super 17 running through the Marshall and it sounds great. I tried it through the Mesa cab and I think I prefer the sound of the Marshall cab. So I'm hoping the Recto cab would be better for my MkIV.

What do you guys think? And what do you use for your MkIV's?

Here's my Goodsell/Marshall 'stack'
Goodsell2.jpg

I use a Mark IV head with my 2x12 recto cab and it sounds fantastic. Tight punchy bass that sounds huge. I have not played it through a Marshall cab so I cannot comment on that.

I'm interested in what people have to say here, too, as I'm looking for a new slant 4x12 cab for my Mark amps.

I currently have an Avatar 4x12 slant with two v12 and two m12 speakers, but I am thinking that a better cab may do better justice to this amp.

Bummer how hard it is to try out cabs with a head though, so I'm seeking advice.

I understand most people like the Boogie half-back cabs, but I have a feeling that finding one of these is going to be slightly difficult.

There's a used Rectifier cab at GC, and my buddy woorks there, so I think I could probably pick it up for like 650-ish. Is the oversized cab going to be too boomy for those heads? What about those RoadKing cabs, since they have a partial open back?

I've heard great things about the GenzBenz and Orange cabs, but they don't make a slant. :?

The 2x12 Recto Cabinet IMO is the best for the Mark IV. It's pretty much designed mainly for it. Anything else is personal preference.

fpoon said:
The 2x12 Recto Cabinet IMO is the best for the Mark IV. It's pretty much designed mainly for it. Anything else is personal preference.

+1000 :wink:

I've been hearing good things about Splawn cabs, too. I dig their slant cab that has a straight baffle, so all speakers still fire on the same plane.

Your 1960A cabinet appears to be a standard one with the G12T75's in it. These speakers sound ok but you will probably like the sound from the 2x12 better with the Mark IV. You also might try running half of the would be stereo cab at 8 ohms with your 2x12 that should also be 8 ohms together into 4 ohm taps. I am assuming that your 2x12 has V30's in it and runs 8 ohms. This will give you another sound to play with. Many people like the mix of 2 75's and 2 V30's. You might even like it enough to swap the V30's into your 4x12 cab. If you do, be sure to x-pattern them so you get a better mix.

I don't like my Mark III through my 1960A cab. It seriously lacks mids and warmth. I'm eventually going to replace it with a Stiletto 4x12 cab.

Well, I'm waiting for my MkIV to arrive and most likely I will match it up with the 2x12 Recto Horizontal cab. I wish I had a Vertical 2x12 cab. I'm so anal, I think it would look cooler.

I have my horizontal cab standing on its side. I have no room to lay it down. Plus the sound is better when it's higher up.

Does anyone else take their 2x12 Recto horizontal cab and stand it up on its side? (like a vertical cab)

What do you mean the sound is better? Is there less bass or something when it's on its side?

Someone just posted a pic of their 2 2x12 cabs on end.

I use my MKIV with a 2x12 horz recto cab as well. Sounds fine. I still wanna plug this biatch up to my 4x12 and let 'er rip though. Eventually I wanna slave my RKII into the MKIV as well.. MKIV pre-amp with progressive linkage = tonal heaven haha.

Kiss My Axe said:
I don't like my Mark III through my 1960A cab. It seriously lacks mids and warmth. I'm eventually going to replace it with a Stiletto 4x12 cab.

You might try different speakers in your cab. If you have the 75's they sound a little scooped for a Celestion. Try the 65's or even V30's. GB's will give you serious amounts of mids but you have to watch out how much power you put to them. Though they sound great on the edge ready to come apart they don't last as long that way.

Since I hurt my back I went to a 1X12 enclosed(Earcandy Sov) cabinet, with my Boogie head.
I wonder now why I didn't do it years ago

Latest posts

Back