Cab advice for a Roadking II

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

7 Dying Trees

Reaction score
Hiya, I am having to get a cab to go with my shiny (well, very black) roadking II.

Now, I don't know whether to go oversize, standard, and don't know whether to go v30 or c90...

I play mainly metal, and do like celestion 85 speakers (close to c90's), but keep wondering about v30's...

Any advice/experience would be welcome.

I am also NOT looking to get the roadking cab, as don't really want the features if I am honest, if i wanted that I'd just attached a second cab, but any case, micing it live would constitute a ppain in the arse!

V30s are great for metal. You can't go wrong with the oversize or standard. Standard is a little bit smoother and tighter, oversized is a little scooped and has more prominent lows and highs.

If you're looking to buy new, you might want to consider forking out an extra $300 for a Mills cabinet. They come stock with V30s, and they're incredible. I have the Mills 412B and a recto oversized. I like them both but if I had to have one I'd take the Mills.
http://millsacoustics.com/models.html

Port City. With WGS speakers

I wonder if people hate me because I always suggest these cabs? :lol: But Seriously, these cabinets make me want to play guitar. If i didn't have a port city cab, I would not play because my mesa 2x12 sounded congested and muddy.

7 Dying Trees said:
Now, I don't know whether to go oversize, standard, and don't know whether to go v30 or c90...
oversized and standard are the same thing. the smaller cabs are either referred to as stiletto or traditional.

+1 on the Mills Acoustic suggestion. I'd really like to get their Afterburner modle with 2 WGS Veteran 30's and 2 of there Greenback speakers....would probably sound KILLER!!! But, yea....Mills Acoustics all the way

Have you considered the obvious choice? If I owned a RK head I'd go for the RK cab. One of the cool things about the RK is the two cab outputs, and a RK cab would take advantage of those without having to buy a second cab.

ElectricTurkey4369 said:
Port City. With WGS speakers

I wonder if people hate me because I always suggest these cabs? :lol: But Seriously, these cabinets make me want to play guitar. If i didn't have a port city cab, I would not play because my mesa 2x12 sounded congested and muddy.

I second this. :lol:

I'm always repping those cabs no matter what, too. Haha.

The best set-up I heard was actually a Roadster ran through a Port City OS 4x12 and an Orange PPCHP8 4x12.

The tones were insane.

ifailedshapes said:
Have you considered the obvious choice? If I owned a RK head I'd go for the RK cab. One of the cool things about the RK is the two cab outputs, and a RK cab would take advantage of those without having to buy a second cab.
Did think about it, but don't play enough rock, and would simply prefer to switch to seperate cabs if going down that route, even then, it's a pain to mic up properlty live all the time. Am simply looking for a cab that isn't mudy and will be nice and tight on the low end but still have that nice rock midrange sizzle.

The speaker thing is something I am intwo minds about, i love my orange can with c85's in it and love classic lead 80's, but nothing really beats micing a v30 live or in the studio unfortunately. I am thinking of going x-pattern and just mixing.

Still, I just don't want to end up with a cab that is too boomy.

I cannot get anything other than mesa, as am endorsed, and I am not sure they'd enjoy me playing something else, and don't want to :)

7 Dying Trees said:
ifailedshapes said:
Did think about it, but don't play enough rock, and would simply prefer to switch to seperate cabs if going down that route, even then, it's a pain to mic up properlty live all the time. Am simply looking for a cab that isn't mudy and will be nice and tight on the low end but still have that nice rock midrange sizzle.

The speaker thing is something I am intwo minds about, i love my orange can with c85's in it and love classic lead 80's, but nothing really beats micing a v30 live or in the studio unfortunately. I am thinking of going x-pattern and just mixing.

Still, I just don't want to end up with a cab that is too boomy.

I cannot get anything other than mesa, as am endorsed, and I am not sure they'd enjoy me playing something else, and don't want to :)
id say go with a stiletto 4x12. i love mesa cabs but recto 4x12's are way too farty/woofy on the bottom end IMO. whenever i can pony up the cash im gonna get a straight stiletto 4x12 with V30's and C90's in the x-pattern. ive heard the 2 speakers complement each other very well. and +1 on the PITA it would be to mic up 2 speakers and set the levels and everything for every gig. that would get old fast.

Between Oversized/Standard and Traditional/Stiletto, I agree with what most people have said here: depends on what tone you want to get. Oversized/Standard sounds more scooped, bigger bass, higher top end - probably what a lot of metal players want. Traditional/Stiletto is tighter, more mid-presence, rolled off top end - more suited for straight up rock/hard rock/heavy rock. I much prefer the Traditional/Stiletto over the Oversized/Standard with my 3 ch Dual Recto, but that's just my preference...YMMV

from the cabs i've tried...the Mesa 2x12 recto is usually a good choice unless you want the 4x12.

I prefer Whitebox cabs! They sound the best IMO for what I do. I've owned Orange, Mesa, Marshall, and Avatar and the Whitebox stands alone IMO.

Latest posts

Back