C90 vs. EVM Thiele Cab

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GD_NC

Reaction score
Anyone know if there is a difference between the C90 and EVM Thiele cabs other than the speaker? I'd like to put a C90 in my combo and add an EVM Thiele. Any reason I can't pick up a C90 Thiele and just switch the speakers?

Are the speaker cutouts the same size for and EVM-12L and C90?

Perfect thanks! I've been considering building one. I'd still like to, but I've seen some decent Boogie Thieles for sale lately for not much more that what it would cost buy the materials and speaker.

Wait, you were commenting on my build project, right? I suggest a Celestion v30 instead of a c90 in the cab. I rewired my thiele so I can run each speaker independently if I want to and I was checking out the v30 by itself. It is such a great speaker for thick, biting, and heavy tones and it really thumps when it gets going. I almost wish I had a pair of v30s in there but I'm really a fan of greenbacks and the speaker combo I have works well for what I like to do.

gts said:
No difference the cabs are the same. Swap either speaker in or out as you'ld like.
Personally I prefer the EV, never liked the C90's much in anything. ymmv
I agree George. Overall I prefer the EV to the C90. However, iirc, the specs (i.e., dimensions, porting, etc.) for these Thiele cabinets were DESIGNED for an EVM 12-L. Other speakers will work, but the "maximum benefit" from these cabinets will be derived when using a 12-L.....in theory! Of course, what our ears say matters most.

I don't ever recall hearing that Mesa changed the build specs when they switched from the original 12-L to the now C-90. Anybody know differently?

I used to have a C90 loaded thiele and an EV thiele as well (at the same time). The difference? The EV thiele is heavier (weight) and more transparent. The two speakers sound VERY similar and you can tell why Mesa went to the C90 from the EV. The C90 colors the tone just slightly, but still sounds almost as good as the EV if you ask me.

The two speakers sound VERY similar and you can tell why Mesa went to the C90 from the EV. The C90 colors the tone just slightly, but still sounds almost as good as the EV if you ask me.

I have some thieles with EV's and a theile with a C90, and I agree with the above statement. The EV has a little more punch and brightness, and less coloration, which becomes more apparent as you increase the power to it. However, at lower volumes, they both sound very similar.

IMO, a thiele with a C90 sounds very good too, and can usually be purchased for less cash than one with an EV. Both are great.

YellowJacket said:
Wait, you were commenting on my build project, right? I suggest a Celestion v30 instead of a c90 in the cab. I rewired my thiele so I can run each speaker independently if I want to and I was checking out the v30 by itself. It is such a great speaker for thick, biting, and heavy tones and it really thumps when it gets going. I almost wish I had a pair of v30s in there but I'm really a fan of greenbacks and the speaker combo I have works well for what I like to do.

Yes, that was me. I'm trying to figure out my next steps. I really prefer a closed back sound and find the EVM has too much high end especially in the combo. I'm considering building/buying a Thiele as a new home for the EVM and putting something else (Hellatone V-30 or a Mojotone V-30 copy?) in the combo. My thought in starting this thread was to maybe pick up a C-90 thiele and swap the speakers. If they sound that much alike that's likely a bad idea. So I'm back to building one.

I have an EVM Thiele and compliment it with an MC90 in the amp's combo cab ...the combo sounds superb, IMHO. But thinking I'd take it to the next "logical" step, I put an EVM into an open-back cab ...I did NOT care for it. Similar to GD_NC, I found the upper mids and highs too biting. No way I could live with the EVM in that open cab (yeah, a boogie cab).

By the same token, you folks who feel the MC90 sounds similar to the EVM, that may be your experience in the Thiele cab ...in an open cab or amp combo, they are very different. Goes to show you how much a spkr-cab combination can influence the tone of a speaker you already like, albeit in a diff cab. Moral of the story is you really don't know what a cab or speaker will sound like until it's loaded and going.

Edward

Thanks GTS! That's a really great idea. I'll have to find some foam and give that a try.

I, too, did that very same donut experiment on this open-backed cab with the EVM. I did not like it as it attenuated certain highs, "deadening" the tone a bit. Yeah, I know: I re-read the entire thread and noted that the highs are "supposed" to come through tranparently. And yes, I got proper acoustic foam in 1/2" from a spkr/cab supply shop. And yes, I rechecked the dimentions and procedures. And yes, eq'd to compensate. No go for me. On the one hand, yes, it seemed to reduce (eliminate, perhaps) the beaminess. OTOH, I did not like the overall tonal results. Glad it worked for someone else, but I definitely did not care for the difference in sound.

The nice thing is that is was a cheap experiment. But ultimately, trust your ears. It is simply too easy to follow one guy's tube magic, or that guy's awesome cab specs; no shortage of "solutions" out there. Trust your ears, regardless of which expert says what or the pricetag on that fix. IMHO, of course :)

Edward

I'm with you GTS. It may not solve all my issues, but it's a great interim solution for $5!

Yeah, I completely agree with you guys: great experiment that costs only a few bucks and a few minutes of time. I was simply "offering" that every "solution" presented offers different results for different folks. And let's face it, some of those solutions are not solutions, but we can convince ourselves they are because we spent the money and lots of others like it. I am not speaking of the donut here, just speaking in general, and from my own delusional experiences over the mannny yeeears (hahaha, file it under BTDT :) ). That is why I said "trust your ears" as you are the only one who really needs to be satisfied. I hope the donut works for him, and it not working for me has no bearing on it working well for another. Just offering another pov. :)

Edward

I read that the MC90 had more upper mid than the EVM?

I am looking to buy an EVM and put it either in an Express 5.50 combo, or make a cab to go with the 5.50 so I can choose which speaker to use "MC90 or EVM12L" from song to song.

What will an EV sound like in the 5.50 combo? The MC90 is sharp in the upper mids, the Express is a VERY bright amp, I have to turn the mid control OFF and the treble down a lot and its still not sweet enough, with the EV will it be like middly and sharp?
And if my dad makes a cab for an EV should it be open or closed?

In my expeience a C90 thiele sounds a lot different than a 12L thiele.

The actual cabinets are the same though. The Mesa thiele is designed for an EVM12L.

MusicManJP6 Post subject: Re: C90 vs. EVM Thiele CabPosted: Fri Jul 31, 2009 8:12 am

I used to have a C90 loaded thiele and an EV thiele as well (at the same time). The difference? The EV thiele is heavier (weight) and more transparent. The two speakers sound VERY similar and you can tell why Mesa went to the C90 from the EV. The C90 colors the tone just slightly, but still sounds almost as good as the EV if you ask me.

+1
I have Thieles w/EV's and one Thiele W/C90 and totally agree...I'll also add that IMO both speakers sound very good, but the edge goes to the EV due to its slightly better clarity, especially at high volumes.

Whoa there...!!! I do NOT feel the EVM and MC90 sound at all alike ...sorry, no way. The similarities that were noted are because the Thiele cab brings them sonically closer; it is the porting and requisite tuning that makes them sound like 1st cousins. But in an open cab, these two are worlds apart. From the bottom focus, to the mids and warmth, to the top-end clarity and sparkle, these two as as different as any speakers I know. IMHO of course :)

Edward

Latest posts

Back