c90 vs ev for mark III combo.

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JimAnsell

Reaction score
i have the ev in there now, but i'm thinking of replacing it with the c90.
i rarely have the combo up very loud, so i'm not worried about the break up factor.
what other tonal differences would i see by doing that?
is the c90 less middy?

I've been thinking about doing the same thing, but with my Mark IV, which presently has an EV. I've found the IV's tone to kind of sterile compared to my Mark IIC & Mark III never really bonded with it.

I'm thinking about swapping the IV's EV with the C90 in my Thiele cab. I'm hoping that the swap may help liven up the IV's tone, while also making my Thiele sound even better than it already does.

So, I'm also interested in hearing the tone differences from someone who has swapped an EV for C90 in a MarkIV.

I went from a C90 to an EV and I'm not looking back.

An EV is flat, but a C90 is relatively flat too. Your thiele cab is designed for the EV, not for the C90, so I would leave it there honestly.

Basically I think the EV is better in every way than the C90, having owned both. It's muddier and not as clear overall. YMMV though.

I actually like the EVM in my Mark IVA combo cab.

I put an Altec 417 8H in my Mark III and it's brilliant. Probably the best guitar speaker I've ever heard. It's a huge improvement over the C90 that was in there.

Jim, by all means, try one. But if you want a more british sound or whatever there are probably better celestions to use than the C90. I think the EV matches the Mark (III at least) better than the C90, but you may not agree.

Latest posts

Back