c+ mod?

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tony777

Reaction score
Hey!
Does anyone know if it is possible to mod a separate treble pot for both channels on the c+?

kind regards
Tony

Sure, it's possible. But it would require both cosmetic and electrical changes that would lessen the value of a C+. If it's just the treble pot, you might try to adjust your guitar's tone pot for the desired effect. You may find what you need.

It would be extremely difficult. You would have to switch the Volume 1, The Treble pot and the Treble pot's connection to the tone caps. With the LDR's Mesa uses in the C+, I don't think they would handle much more load from extra LDR's, plus they would have to switch on and off with the lead and clean channels. Like JVK's dual volume, it would require it's own power source and at least three LDR's and plenty of trial and error.

You could put the pot in the footswitch jack , or even use stacked (ganged) pots ...
Add a sub board similar to Jvk's lead gain mod . If done well , it could be returned to stock easily .

It just depends how much it is worth to you and if you can find a talented tech in your area .

EDIT: WWBBD ?

Yeah , what the simulposter said :D

Not assuming anything but are you aware of which pull pots engage only with the lead channel? You can come with very different amounts of treble by selectively using them. If you have a graphic eq, have the clean channel set up the way you like it and then set the graphic selector to automatic so that it engages the graphic only when switched to lead.

Buddy said:
EDIT: WWBBD ?

Yeah , what the simulposter said :D

???????????????????????????????????????????????????

what is this?

well anyway, I don't think I will do it and I actually didn't think it was an easy mod, but I have heard there is a bright mod as well, not that I remember how that works, but my 60watt head doesn't have a reverb and then it has a free space for an extra pot.

the thing is that I use the treble at about 9 pulled at distortion, and I'd like it to be about 4 not pulled at clean settings, the rest of the setting will be the same, so that was the idea, but I guess my ampswitch and triaxis will then do the clean job.....uh wait a minute, I have another C+ I must have forgot;-)

Thanks anyway and still happy new year

Tony

I think It means What would boogiebabies do?

Hey you don't need to mod your C+ at all, I've heard your playing and you sound great. A worthy owner of the C+ or 2 for that matter.

carlosasi said:
I think It means What would boogiebabies do?

Hey you don't need to mod your C+ at all, I've heard your playing and you sound great. A worthy owner of the C+ or 2 for that matter.

Thank you :D

I wouldn't mod it to make it sound different, just that I could get my two favorite sounds (clean and lead) available at the same time, and the difference would only be in the treble settings for my taste. But I guess it might not be worth doing.

There are two ways to look at the brigh mod. Addition or reduction. They are technically one in the same. The bright addition is having no .001 cap on the 270K plate load resistor on the lead channel and having a 20pf cap across the 3.3M resistor that is the junction circuit for the clean and lead channels. The bright reduction is having the .001 cap on the 270K and a 10pf cap on the 3.3M resistor. Your Simul would not have the bright reduction caps, but your 60W would, hence a smoother and rounder tone.
For $ 2.50 in caps and a minute of soldering, it may make a world of difference to fatten a Simul up.

doesn't this mod reduce gain though? I understand reducing highs makes the lower frequencies jump out more, but can't you also argue reducing gain takes away fatness? Or is the gain achieved (when you have 20pf) a perception of the smoldering highs?

10pf instead of 20pf is not a monumental difference. If there is any gain loss, it would be negligible or barely noticable. The .001 cap on the lead channel acts as a filter to reduce the treble, and may again be a slight perception in gain, but you will be able to use the treble up to 8-9, or 10 and still have a thicker tone. Gain and treble response are generally related by the perception of your ears.

Latest posts

Back