Buzzy on 15th fret of only E strings... Weird...

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

espmaster1

Reaction score
So I got my guitar back for repair about a week ago, and just started noticing on my low E string on the 15th fret it buzzes, nearly out of tune, and the same thing with my high E on the 15th fret. Except on the high E, when I fret the 15th fret normally it plays the note on the 16th fret... WTF? Has anyone ever had this problem before? And there are no problems elsewhere, what could it possibly be...

What kind of guitar is it?

It could be a couple different things. A high 16th fret, or the truss rod could need adjusted (which is what it sounds like to me). Does the neck meet the body at the 16th fret? If so, it sounds like the rod needs adjusted back.

What repair did you have done?

It's a custom shop ESP horizon III, and the neck meets the body at the 19th fret. It is a 24 fret guitar. I just had a set up done on it. He said he didn't touch the truss rod, he just took off a cover of it for some weird reason. But I had it put back on. I don't think that could be a problem. I only put the cover back on cause I didn't want the truss rod exposed. Thanks for the help... Hopefully that helps you.

it could be a number of things. the frets might need to be leveled, it might need a truss rod adjustment, you might just have one high fret etc etc. i work in a music store and do a lot of setups and this time of year is just brutal for guitars. the humidity levels change constantly. here in ny it'll go from being a comfortable 70 degrees, and then the next day it's 90 and humid. your neck might've just shifted a bit. if you know how to sight a neck and do a truss rod adjustment yourself i'd try backing the rod off a little and see what happens.

my 16th fret was buzzing too. i intonated the ZR on it and something was off. so i took it to a shop to get set up right. i figured i had screwed it up. he said the intonation was perfect, but the truss rod was off.

he adjusted it. then the buzz was gone. no more dead notes. plays more in tune now.

only cost me 20 bucks. but found an old x100b head too while there so...it was 20 bucks worth it.

Alright, sounds good guys. Thanks a lot for the help, I'm bringing it into my guy tomorrow I think, sounds to me like it's a truss rod thing.
Thanks again, try and keep cool!
Paul

Nitrobattery said:
it could be a number of things. the frets might need to be leveled, it might need a truss rod adjustment.............. this time of year is just brutal for guitars. the humidity levels change constantly. here in ny it'll go from being a comfortable 70 degrees, and then the next day it's 90 and humid. your neck might've just shifted a bit.

I agree with that one.. same problem here in Ohio as far as worse time of year... I had to take my main axe back 3 times before it was right... not the guys fault.. it is just so hard with the weather and all... so I wasn't mad at my guy.. he knows what he is doing and even told me it might have to come back.. well it did.. again.. three times.. that he didn't think.. lol .. but all is OK now..!!!!

best of luck with your axe..

Rex

UPDATE ON THE GUITAR!

I brought it to my tech and he said that the frets need to be redressed. My first thought was dammit, thinking my axe didn't have much life left to it, but he responded by saying that this should only be done once, is this preventable for future problems? Anyone know much about fret dressing?

ya i think he is going to level them then recrown. That means just file them all even then reshape. It helps in the long run and will prevent future problems. I find most new guitars need them to get them to break in.

Back