• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate toThe Boogie Board and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member which comes with a decal or just click here to donate.

Buying used, sight unseen and shipped to Canada?

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Animeka

Reaction score
Anyone has any experience with this? Good idea? Bad idea?

Looking at buying an amp/cabinet (4x12 & Mark IV probably)

Any issues with customs? New stuff gets taxed, what about used?

Thanks!

Marc

I've shipped tons of stuff from here (Canada) to the 'States. Canada Customs won't add any costs if it's leaving Canada, but they'll screw you if you ship stuff in. Doesn't matter what it is, if its value is greater than $500 CDN they'll add tax and import fees, even if you declare it a gift or a return. Then it's up to us Canadians to re-claim the fees. Jerks.

But there's no problem shipping down from Canada.

And if there's a legal problem it's very easy to deal with the RCMP. Because they're a Federal Police Force they can go anywhere in Canada and co-ordinate with any other branch anywhere. And they take things pretty seriously.

With the US dollar worth $1.20 CDN it's a good time to buy. Let us know what happens.

I bought a bunch of stuff from the states and they do charge duty and sometimes provincial taxes as well, even on used stuff! You can contact customs ahead of time and find out what the extra charges would be. On small stuff its pretty easy if they declare it at a low value, but a 4x12 isn't going to pass customs for $50!

I have marked items as a 'gift' rather than declaring it's value before. I'm not sure what the result was at customs, but I don't care a bit to do this for a buyer if it gets the item sold! May be worth looking into...

Yeah, gift sometimes works, but if its not in its original packaging they may wonder who's saying 'Happy Birthday, here's a used 4x12 cabinet" :lol: nothing local (like in canada)

Yeah well the local market in Montreal is pretty stale. I saw a 4x12 for sale at 550$CAD and when I contacted the seller, his response was "well, i'm out of town right now but I deal with this in-between brokerage firm etc..." SCAM.

So I'm even more worried ordering from unknowns in the another country... I'd rather SEE, PAY and GO. ;)

And then if I get hit by customs for used gear.... it kills the deal for me.

Marc

Back