Budget version Mark III Red Stripe...

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Captainwave

Reaction score
Hi all,

Noob to the board and to Mesa. Happy to be here. Now, I’ve found a Mark III Red Stripe locally but reading on the forum, this one seems a bit different than most. It has reverb so that’s good but no eq and just 2 x 6L6 powertubes and obviously, no simul class either.

Will an eq pedal in the loop compensate for the lack of the “ordinary” one? Seller says it’s 50 watt. Other than that, it’s in a good condition considering its age. What kinda ******* is this? Did Mesa really play around with the Mark III this much? :?

Yup, there are a lot of different versions of the Mark III. What you are describing is the simple, stripped down 60 watt version of the Mark III. Still a good amp, but if you are looking for a good metal rhythm tone you are going to need an external EQ of some sort in the loop. Any 6 or 7 band eq pedal will work to scoop out the mids.
On it's own it'll have good tone, but VERY midrangey. Still a GREAT, liquidy lead tone. Some people actually prefer the non-eq versions as they have a less cluttered circuit... less circuitry for the signal to go through means a better, more pure tone in some people's opinions. All versions of the Mark III are great.

Welcome on the Boogie Board. :D
It's a Mark III 60 watts ! you can put EQ in the Effect loop but in my opinion it's not the same thing. I had a Black stripe No EQ a few years ago and i have try with a MXR 6 band on the Effect loop. That gave me a good sound but not like the inside EQ. But it's depends on what kind of sound you looking for, My friend realy love that way with a Tube screamer. Look on the top of the Cab, it's the 60 watts.

BoogieTime.jpg

Guys,

Thanks a lot for the warm welcome and the interesting answers. I have not yet bought it but from your answers, I might just do that (with a complementary EQ pedal). I'm pretty sure it will suit my non-pro usage just fine :)

Captainwave said:
Rhoads said:
Buy it my friend if the price is Right ! You gonna get a lot of fun. :D

Yup, bought it. Pending delivery... :D

There ya go! I've recommended this very amp to so many people. It's hard to recommend anything else because this amp has the best of everything rolled into one, plus the bang-for-your-buck is unmatched. Sure, it would be great to have independent controls for each channel. Sure, footswitching could be better, but other than the crowd that is looking for an amp that rules the low mod territory. (Recto, VH4), the Mark has great high and low gain rhythm tones, liquidy leads, Chimey and fat cleans, and reliability.

OK, so I tried the amp today and MAN! It’s the sound that I’ve had in my head for years but not been able to get from my other amps. I tried it with a PRS 408 standard with rosewood neck. The amp played with a Mesa 3/4 2x12 Black Shadow cabinet.

Boomy cleans? Metallica fat, thick grunt? No problem. John Petrucci lead tones? Are you kidding me? It’s all there in the amp naturally, and not a pedal in sight, part from a delay and a MXR 6-band EQ in the loop. I'm one happy geetarist right now. :D

megavoice said:
You've got a baby with a GOLDEN Voice !

That's why I have two of them. :D :D :D

I think so too. Mind you, I've only spent two hours with it so far and I bet it takes a bit longer than that to dial in "your" tones, but so far, it KILLS. I am really, really surprised I must say. Didn't think for a second that I would get the tones I was getting straight out of the amp without pedals or severe tweaking. Awesome is the word to use dear Sir. :shock:

Hello again all Mesa experts out there,

I've had my Mark III for a couple of weeks now and I simply LOVE it. I noticed some writing on the back where the stripe is. I have read that the R has something to do with the reverb but mine is working perfectly. Can anyone please help me to decifer them? Sorry for the crappy cellshot :?

2013-02-11164518_zps4c254442.jpg

These are the initials of the "Mark-amplifire-pope", Mike Bendinelly, "MB", who usually did the final check at that time.
On my first amp they are downside on the inner part of the chassis. But usually they are under the power-chord like on your's.
What the upper means, I don't know. Maybe "R", "Revised" ???

Thanks a lot for the information guys. It's always fun to know more about what you have. Really appreciate it. :D

When you get more curious, removing the chassis will reveal more markings and dates. I always find it fascinating to tie your favorite amp to an individual that put their expertise and love into making it.

Congrats on the great acquisition and enjoy your first MkIII experience! 8)

Latest posts

Back