Buckethead's triple rectifier inspires me...

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MichiganboySB

Reaction score
Oh and his playing doesn't hurt either :lol: Each day at work I watch the man tear it up using his MB triple and Gibson classic. About six months ago I began this quest to procure all the equipment he uses on stage and I've been very successful. Now I never owned a Mesa in my life and I'm pretty sure that the triple is what I should get (since Big B's my kinda genre). Guess my question is should I go through GC when buying it or are there things to look out for when buying it? Any ideas, opinions and suggestions are highly appreciated. Thx, CH

Here's the sound I enjoy:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8akmP6Sjv2o&search=Buckethead

One thing you might keep in mind is that the 'recto sound' that you're after is available in more amps than just the Triple Rec.. having 150W, 6 power tubes to change yearly, etc may be a bit overkill if you're playing in your bedroom. To really enjoy an amp like that you'd need to play it loud to get power tube distortion. 150W is a lot of headroom to blow through to get the distortion you're after.

You might consider the Dual or Single Rec with 100W or 50W respectively... or invest in an attenuator.

Just a suggestion :)

You're dead right that the 150 watts is overkill for my application... no boubt a doubt that! But I then pick up something other than following what my idol's playing through and end up dissapointed (granted the other alternatives to the triple weren't other Mesa's). I really need to get back to Guitar Center and plug into allll the Mesa's. I got an amp attenuator (purple THK or whatever its called). Couple months ago I was really psyched out that I sold my BUdda superdrive 80 to someone on ebay, this was going to help finance my first new Mesa product...but he backed out. CH

I'll agree with the lower wattage amps. I started with a triple and quickly realized that I didn't need about 100 to 125 of those watts!! But on the other hand, if you KNOW you want a triple and that's the only thing that'll make you happy, even if it does sound almost exactly like a dual or a single, then by all means follow your heart and get what makes you happy or you'll always be trading around until you get what you originally wanted..... Trust me, I know :wink:

MichiganboySB said:
You're dead right that the 150 watts is overkill for my application... no boubt a doubt that! But I then pick up something other than following what my idol's playing through and end up dissapointed (granted the other alternatives to the triple weren't other Mesa's). I really need to get back to Guitar Center and plug into allll the Mesa's. I got an amp attenuator (purple THK or whatever its called). Couple months ago I was really psyched out that I sold my BUdda superdrive 80 to someone on ebay, this was going to help finance my first new Mesa product...but he backed out. CH

You're most likely never going to nail the sound exactly, even with the same exact gear. A lot of the tones you hear are from the recording process and from his actual playing style. I suggest you plug into a dual and a triple.. and do a blind listening test. You might 'hear' something in the triple that isn't there because it's the one you want more inside.

If the triple is your thing and it's 100% in your mind, then go for it, I know lots of happy triple rec owners who would never trade it for anything.. but the tones you desire are in smaller packages as well, and come at a lower price tag up front, and in future costs of retubing.

I'd say go for what makes you happy. Alot of this hobby includes identifying with your idols. I'll never be Jimmy Page, nor will I have a oppertunity to play in front of thousands, yet lately, I lust for a EDS-1275. I have no idea why. I just want one. Go for one as it will probably sound close (after the eventide effects are factored into that sound ) and enjoy.

Just got back home from Guitar Center and did what you advised Plat...blind tested between the dual and triple. Honestly my buddy and I were happier with the Dual but it was running through 1 traditional cab on top of a 2x12. Same amp right? Hell the dual is plenty loud enough. I like it so much! I think I'm a recto kinda guy :lol:
Thx guys,
Ken

When I went to GC to buy my dual rec 4 years ago, they didn't have one in stock, only a triple. I was GAS'n so bad that I almost took the triple home, but then my better judgement kicked in. Like Platapus mentioned, I thought of future retubing costs, plus my practicle applications would not justify the triple rec.

I've played on the same stage as L.A. Guns, Quiet Riot, Twisted Sister (granted, not at the same time and not during their hay day) but even then the dual rec has been more then plenty loud. I have used my 50-watt rectoverb for a gig and even that was barely starting to breath at the volume I had it at. Bottom line, the dual or single rec will probably work fine, if not better for what you intend on using it for. But if your heart is set on the triple rec, go for it. It's a sweet amp!

Other than the extra 50 watts they are the same amp right?
Also with regards to the cab I get... you notice how some cabs have a steel grill over the speakers and some don't? Well when I was at this amp repair guys place he hinted how he preferred to like ones with the steel grill over just the cloth ones... is there really a difference? I guess I'm bringing this up cuz Buckethead's cab has the steel grill, just curious.
Thx,
Ken

If I'm not mistaken the Steel grill Cabs have Black shadows in them where the recto cloth cabs have V30's. I'm sure someone here will know for sure.

Sanchez

that is correct. the steel grilles have different speakers, the majority of the times. you have to research on speakers before you buy as these change sound a lot. vintage 30s are what you've been hearing a mesa through almost every time you listen to a dual rectifier on the radio. the celestion90s or w/e the steel grilles have are a much more "focused" speaker, more like for a guy who plays a lot of lead guitar or really likes a good clean sound, or generally likes a very tight sound...that's my personal take on it.

that is correct. the steel grilles have different speakers, the majority of the times. you have to research on speakers before you buy as these change sound a lot. vintage 30s are what you've been hearing a mesa through almost every time you listen to a dual rectifier on the radio. the celestion90s or w/e the steel grilles have are a much more "focused" speaker, more like for a guy who plays a lot of lead guitar or really likes a good clean sound, or generally likes a very tight sound...that's my personal take on it.

I heard his cabinet is from Harry Kolbe. I don't know , I'm acting too picky. But I'll be buying this head soon and could tie it into the two 2x12 combos I got until I figure out what cabinet to go with. Sounded good through that traditional cab and 2x12 cab though. Thx for the help guys,
Ken

Here is that cabinet I was talking about... someone said it was a Harry Kolbe but can't confirm this. In this particular pic he's got a stilleto for a backup amp.
2guitarsa.jpg

Here are pics of the usual pedalboard layout he usually uses:
Pedals-3.jpg

PICT0005.JPG

pedals-4.jpg

I have most of his pedals except the Roger Mayer octavia (close enough),can't wait to get the dual.

Ken

Cool pics! Did you take them yourself? Got anymore to put up? Also, what kind of wah is that on his pedal board? 535Q? How did he sound through the Stiletto?

I bet the next post asks if it's a series l or series ll! :)

Latest posts

Back