Brand new guy here....and a new Boogie! Mark IIB

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

androo

Reaction score
Hey folks. I've been enjoying this board for the past couple of weeks and thought I'd say howdy! My bass player wanted me to sell her Boogie for her, so I took it home, cleaned her up, and then fell in love with the thing. DOH! So, it's staying with me now, and looks like I'll be unloading the 75 Princeton Reverb. Don't need both, and the Boogie is the clean sound I have been chasing for years!

So, it's a 1981 Mark IIB (as far as I can tell), no reverb, no EQ, 60/100, and I'm assuming non Simul-class? Sorry I don't have a pic....it's a pretty basic looking one, black tolex, and it's got a Celestion G12M-70 inside.

So, I'm very much enjoying this amp, especially for low volume cleans, it has that midrange focus that I love. Great with my Tele, and my archtop too! I stuck a reverb pedal in the loop, and that gives me what I need as far as a touch of verb.

Speaking of the loop, what's everyone's beef with the effects loop anyway?? Mine works perfectly. I've been reading about mods to "make the effects loop useable" What am I missing?

Nice to be around!
Droo

I'm gonna reply to myself here.. :wink:

I'm thinking there is nothing wrong with the effects loop at all. I stuck a Hermida Reverb in it, and I've been plugging it into the AC outlet on the back of the amp (THANK YOU RANDALL!), and this thing is the bees knees!

And, i just got a quad of Sovtek 6L6WXT+ sitting on the counter, but I've yet to throw them in.

I saw what I think to be a leaky capacitor (looks like a small pea sized bit of brain coming out right at the top) and i decided to let my tech give it a look over before I start screwing around.

I wonder how dire of an emergency a pea sized leak is? I'm not ready to say goodbye for a week :(

You should get that looked at ASAP. Before you play it again.

i have a '82 mkiib, 60 watt, no reverb, but with GEQ

i have never had any issue with the FX loop.

mine has always worked fine.

i use fx that have dedicated input and output controls, that allow me to match up for unity balance, at the levels i play.

get a new cap job for that sucker.

take it to an authorized boogie repair guy, and they'll have it good as new.

Thanks Don and gonzo :) Good advice. Yep...I'm planning on dropping it off on Tuesday with my fella, and hopefully have it running up good as new!

Ahem...I am going to gig it tonight and tomorrow....however :oops: Low volume gigs only. I don't wanna play the Princeton now that I've tasted the Boogie :mrgreen:

If you haven't tried, there is an interesting thing with the loop on those. You can put a volume pedal in the loop and use it to vary the amount of gain in the Lead channel. This will not work if it has been modified (to more of the Mark IIC+ spec), which I would not recommend you do, unless of course you want more of a IIC+ sound.

Great amp, have fun!

Latest posts

Back