Boss GT-Pro

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
1) Once the guitar goes into the amp, isn't OK to have the 20' cords, since in the effects out you have a more powerful signal coming from the amp? Isn't the guitar to amp cable the most important one?
2) Does the GT8 (or Pro) channel swicther work for the Mark III amp channels?
3) Any other thoughts?

1. Its true a 20' cord will load an active output ( the output of an effects processor)less than a passive output ( guitar PUP's) but a load is still a load and reducing it in any way possible will result in the best tone. In other words, keep it short.

2. I don't have a GT8, I have a GTPro. It has four switch outputs that can be configured latching or momentary. I assume the Mk III can be switched with the momentary - my Mk IV can.

3. I don't know much about a GT-6. So I can't really advise any setup with that. The beauty of the GT-8/GTPro is you can split the effects that should be in front of the amp (compression, OD, pre-amp, Noise- suppression) and route the time-domain effects ('verb, delay, chorus, uni-vibe, etc.) into the effects loop of the amp following the amps pre-amp. This gives the cleanest configuration.

Hope this helps. (Maybe just confused the issue more.)

Thanks for the reply. Yes, the GT-6 can move effects before qand after the internal loop. Whether or not it makes sense, it seems to me I get a cleaner signal with no GT-6 alterations BEFORE I go into my Mark III preamp. That's why I stopped with the 4 cable method and went using the GT-6 as an effect insert.

With the 4 cable method, you use get 1 more cable. :wink: That might be part of the changing of the tone. I use the same effect patch for 70% of our songs. I have certain patches for different effects, mostly changing echos and sometimes harmony or phase/flange.

Scorch said:
2. I don't have a GT8, I have a GTPro. It has four switch outputs that can be configured latching or momentary. I assume the Mk III can be switched with the momentary - my Mk IV can.
You should double check the manual on the AMP CTL (Amp Control) functions. The GT Pro has (2) mono jacks for switching external devices. These jacks are labeled AMP CTL 1 and AMP CTL 1. I believe you're confusing the CTL 3 and CTL 4 jacks, which are for external damper/sustain type pedals, with switching hacks. I too have a GT Pro so I'm 100% positive about this stuff.

I use my GT Pro with a relatively unknown device (the Radtone Harmonic Converger) and I can get tones that are very close (95%) of what a real tube preamp will feel like. However, due to limitations in the GT Pro "dynamic range" (of the preamp's distortion ranges), that's as close as I will ever get. This is why I picked up a Mesa preamp (the Quad) again. I still have yet to find anything that feels -exactly- like a tube amp except a real tube amp.

I'm not sure what I'm going to end up using my GT Pro for now. I've got other rack units to handle most effects that are more flexible and sound better than the GT Pro. I may switch between the GT Pro and the Quad Preamp (A/B them for completely different tones) or use the GT Pro just for compression/limiting, noise suppression, wah (it's a kick butt programmable wah) and other pedal type effects (Boss Slow Gear, volume pedal, etc). Even for the price I paid for the GT Pro ($700 new), it's worth it just for the few effects.

Back